Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike for 6'2" - 300 lbs with bad back

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-23-20, 11:58 AM
johnsmith22765

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking to pick up a bike.

Stats
6 foot 2 inches
weigh 300lbs
Inseam is 32 for pants.
36 inch arms for shirts
I used to be 240, but had a back injury and put on 60 lbs weight. I

What I want to Ride
I want to get back into biking for fitness 3-4x a week 10-15 miles, and wanted to get some recommendations.

Terrain- Mix of road/pavement and possibly some gravel and rail trails. No traditional mountain bike riding in my future.

Problems I have encountered
- My back issue flares up when I lean over too aggressively, so road bikes are out and probably drop bars? I am extremely wide shouldered and top heavy from years of playing football and former cross fitter (think size 54 jacket when out of shape, custom cut size 52 when I was 60 lbs lighter). So skinny tires and a road bike aren't the best for me.

Budget- $2,000 or under USD.

What do you all recommend?

I've looked at

1. Surly Long Haul Trucker Disc Brakes -58 frame - 700 CC tires

2. Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 - 2021 model - 58 frame- 700 cc tires

3. Surly Bridge Club

Any other suggestions or feedback?

Last edited by johnsmith22765; 04-23-20 at 12:17 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-23-20, 12:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsmith22765

Stats
6 foot 2 inches
weigh 300lbs
Inseam is 32 for pants.
36 inch arms for shirts

I want to get back into biking for fitness 3-4x a week 10-15 miles, and wanted to get some recommendations.

Terrain- Mix of road/pavement and possibly some gravel and rail trails. No traditional mountain bike riding in my future.

- My back issue flares up when I lean over too aggressively, so road bikes are out and probably drop bars? I am extremely wide shouldered and top heavy from years of playing football and former cross fitter (think size 54 jacket when out of shape, custom cut size 52 when I was 60 lbs lighter). So skinny tires and a road bike aren't the best for me.

I've looked at

3. Surly Bridge Club

what type of riding are you planning road, road and trail, etc

what is budget?

if the bucks are there a professional fitting is a good idea......you can do things like raise the stem to help with back or put different bars on and possibly return to drops in future, sounds like you are the type to get serious, if so better bike up front may save bucks in the long run

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-23-20, 12:18 PM
johnsmith22765

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I added budget into the post. $2,000 or under USD. I would rather spend the money now, rather than upgrade later. But I don't want to get into the 3k price range yet, as I don't know if I will get bitten by the biking bug yet.

I plan to ride for fitness 3-4x a week 10-15 miles on mix of road/pavement and possibly some gravel and rail trails. No traditional mountain bike riding in my future.

Last edited by johnsmith22765; 04-23-20 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling and to add detail
Old 04-23-20, 12:35 PM
ckmak

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Rapid

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How about a flat bar road bike like a Giant Fastroad Advanced 1.

I have a previous generation called the Rapid and use it as my commuter and run around bike.

I would suggest trying out flat bar and drop bars to see what suits you better.
Old 04-23-20, 12:55 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Seems like we're almost the exact same size except for weight. I second the motion for a flat bar bike and for 2k, you can get a really nice one. If you want to look cool but go slow, check out the Fat Bike category. Fitness Bikes will be snappier than Hybrid Bikes and all the major brands have them.
Old 04-23-20, 01:12 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsmith22765

Stats
6 foot 2 inches
weigh 300lbs
Inseam is 32 for pants.
36 inch arms for shirts

What I want to Ride

Budget- $2,000 or under USD.

I've looked at

3. Surly Bridge Club

First of all, I wouldn't assume you can't handle drop bars. It is a matter of getting a bike with a long enough frame to get the bars up to about the same height as your saddle or maybe even a bit higher. And, get handlebars that are wide enough to accomodate your large frame. Plenty of different ways to do this, and if you plan to ride, having a bike you can ride with multiple hand positions is a good thing. Finally, drop bars put your wrists in a neutral position when you ride on the hoods with IMO is way better than the unnatural position flat bars put your hands.

I like your idea of Surly. But the Long Haul Trucker and the Bridge Club is maybe more bike than you need. How about the Surly Straggler, All City Space Horse, Kona Rove, or Jamis Renegade?
Old 04-23-20, 03:57 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I'm pretty much the same size except for the weight, I do have a couple of back issues and sciatica. The pain comes and goes, sitting, standing too long, and walking (sometimes) triggers it. The one thing that doesn't ever cause pain, and in fact makes it go away, is riding my drop bar bikes. Of course what works for me likely won't work the same for you.

Maybe you can rent or borrow a couple of different bikes to make sure you know will be comfortable for you? Lots of good choices with your budget, the position/fit is the most important thing to be sure of first. The hand and wrist position MRT2 mentions is a real issue. My wife was getting serious shoulder pain (to the point of doctors, PT and cortisone injections) before changing from a flat bar to drop bar bike. Again plenty of people ride flat bar bikes with no issues, but it is something to investigate. Good luck.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 04-23-20, 04:01 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I'm pretty much the same size except for the weight, I do have a couple of back issues and sciatica. The pain comes and goes, sitting, standing too long, and walking (sometimes) triggers it. The one thing that doesn't ever cause pain, and in fact makes it go away, is riding my drop bar bikes. Of course what works for me likely won't work the same for you.

Maybe you can rent or borrow a couple of different bikes to make sure you know will be comfortable for you? Lots of good choices with your budget, the position/fit is the most important thing to be sure of first. The hand and wrist position MRT2 mentions is a real issue. My wife was getting serious shoulder pain (to the point of doctors, PT and cortisone injections) before changing from a flat bar to drop bar bike. Again plenty of people ride flat bar bikes with no issues, but it is something to investigate. Good luck.
I used to ride a bike with flat bars, but found I was getting pain in my hands, shoulders and neck on rides longer than 45 minutes.. All of that pretty much went away when I switched to my current bike, which has drop bars.
Old 04-23-20, 04:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by ckmak
How about a flat bar road bike like a Giant Fastroad Advanced 1.

I have a previous generation called the Rapid and use it as my commuter and run around bike.

I would suggest trying out flat bar and drop bars to see what suits you better.
I am pretty prejudiced against flat bars.....they work good for mountain biking, but are terrible ergonomically, the much maligned road bars provide better ergonomics and more positions. and if not road then some think like a north bar. Height will be more and issue than the bar. YMMV

Old 04-23-20, 04:55 PM
ckmak

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Rapid

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I am pretty prejudiced against flat bars.....they work good for mountain biking, but are terrible ergonomically, the much maligned road bars provide better ergonomics and more positions. and if not road then some think like a north bar. Height will be more and issue than the bar. YMMV
I ride both so just more my feeling based on what the OP wants that it might suit better. He is not looking to do crazy long distances and the flat bar with more accessible brakes might be a consideration as well. I do have Ergon GP2 gips on the flat bar.
Old 04-23-20, 05:47 PM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I am getting a Salsa TimberJack 27.5+ in XL with Velo Orange Crazy bars.The handlebars help with hand positions to keep my hands from going numb. I had a Trek Marlin 6 with a stem riser. I liked it but decided I wanted something with more tire. I can run still run 29s if I want. My size is a little bigger than yours. My usual ride is 11 miles in mixed trails and road.
Old 04-23-20, 07:15 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I suggest a mountain bike. For a tall person, a 29 inch would be ideal. Wide tires are better for heavy people.

See how comfortable it is. If you want the handlebars even higher, you can raise them. See https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...andlebars.html

If you are likely to ride where there is sand, mud, or snow, I suggest a fat bike.

People with large bones may find a large saddle more comfortable.
Old 04-23-20, 11:48 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm 6'1" and in the 240s. But. I was 378 at my heaviest. Also wear a 32" inseam. And carried most of my weight above my my waist.

I rode my 29er Monster Cross mostly until I was under 300.

Yes, a drop bar MTB. This bike was a gift, came this way. I love it.. Enough so I'm converting an older 26er to drop bars as well.

Let me say, this bike is fun to ride on gravel, is faster than I expected on pavement and is quite comfy. Longest ride on this bike was 25 miles, mixed pavement and packed dirt with some gravel.

I do lower my seat a bit for off rocky and rutted trails.. and I have used a stem riser when my sciatica or sacroiliac bother me.

Bikes has 700x54 tires on it now, but I have a second set of wheels with 700x45 tires I'm itching to ride, as soon as I get a second cassette and brake rotors.

At my heaviest, I usually rode with the suspension fork locked out on all surfaces. Now I just keep my preload cranked up all the way.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 04-24-20, 07:59 AM
johnsmith22765

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for some good suggestions. Debating still. I've had trouble finding items even order-able right now from my local shop. I'll see what stock is available and maybe post another question with some choices.
Old 04-24-20, 08:05 AM
johnsmith22765

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't think about Hand Numbness. I had that issue in the past with my prior mountain bike after riding longer than 30 minutes.
Likes For johnsmith22765: