Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling isn't as fun with new bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-13-20, 08:20 AM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I had a Trek Mountain Track 800 and I sold it and bought a Jamis Citizen 2. I wanted a more comfortable riding position. However, after riding the Citizen for awhile, I have found out that I really miss the mountain bike. I felt like I was "a part" of my bike on the mountain bike (Maybe it could be because it didn't have shock absorption or because I was a little lower to the ground); as opposed to just sitting on something and pedaling like the comfort bike. I also feel like I can go faster and be less tired on the mountain bike. Not sure if maybe I was just in better shape when I had the mountain bike because both bikes are 21 speed. Have you experienced the same thing going from one type of bike to another?

Old 06-13-20, 08:37 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
A couple of thoughts. Is it possible that it is the old shoe syndrome? Old shoes can feel more comfortable than the new ones we just bought but eventually the new shoes become the old shoes. Very similar to what you already said. So no bike surprise.

Second it appears from the photos you have the contact points of each bike set differently. There is a higher reach to the bars in the new bike. If you still have the old bike I would try to mimic the contact points, seat and handlebars etc. You could probably get it closer to what you had to bring back that nostalgic feeling again.

I find going to from one bike to another makes me not like the bike I am riding. I like the last one. Then this has more to do with my inability to accept change. This pathology I learned to deal with. In time the bike that I am will grow on me.

Just give it time.
Old 06-13-20, 08:41 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
The very upright riding position of comfort bikes is not conducive to speed, handling, or efficiency. It can be more comfortable for some folks with back problems but comfort bikes are not a great choice for seasoned cyclists. They also tend to put more weight and stress on your sit bones instead of spreading your body weight across them and your hands.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 06-13-20, 08:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,905 Times in 2,539 Posts
It looks to me like the Jamis seat is a lot lower than the Trek's. Have you verified that you have exactly the same bottom bracket to your hip joint distance? If not, that would make a big difffence in perceived bike feel. (Different seats will locate you in different places so a simple bottom bracket to seat distance doesn't tell you what you need to know.) Also, are your cranks the same lenghts?

Ben
Old 06-13-20, 08:55 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Look at how your spine works and you see why an upright position is less comfortable when your spine has to absorb bumps.

"Comfort" bikes are for people who don't really ride much. There is a reason touring bikes are what they are, tourers ride many hours in relative comfort.
Old 06-13-20, 08:57 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Yep. Raise the seat if possible and lower that stem. I'd replace riser handlebars and go flatbars. But that's just me. Maybe replace saddle to something narrower.

Old 06-13-20, 09:09 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
My experience going from a hard tail mountain bike to a comfort bike was just the opposite. There are way too many variables to generalize though.

My mountain bike was awful. Like riding a brick. After even a short ride my hands were numb and the my butt was aching.

This Giant Sedona is so pleasant to ride I feel I could ride it forever. I love the upright position putting me eye to eye with people driving pick up truck, a superb view of the surrounding area, and increased visability to drivers that also improves safety.

You must understand that these bikes are made for pleasure, not speed. That upright position makes them the most susceptible to wind resistance. Actualy worse then my mountain bike was. This is most noticeable going against a moderate or stronger wind. My perception is that it is slightly quicker then my mountain bike, But I'm using the same gears. Perhaps I do more exercise now. The 3 x 7 speed drivetrain though provides a gear for any situation.

When I was young (mid 1970's) I had a 10 speed 27" road bike. I don't mind telling you that bike was MUCH faster then either my mountain bike or my new comfort bike. Going down hill was almost scary. I bike for excersize and adventure now and my new (2018) comfort bike fits the bill. It's fine for short commutes too, But for longer commutes I'd recommend a quick hybrid type bike.

Give your new bike some time and as others suggest try making some adjustments. I tried lowering my handlebar but that brought back the problem I had with my mountain bike...numb hands. So I raised them back up. Tire pressure is important too. Too low pressure will make the bike squirm effecting handling and that connection to the road feeling.

Also it is important that the preload adjustment on both your seat and front forks be correct for your weight. I think I have the same suspension seatpost as you. IIRC it should be set to drop 3/8" when seated. Try 1/4" since you want to feel more connected to the road. Remember to adjust the seat height accordingly. I believe the front shocks should not bob with normal cruising. Again you can tighten up the preload to firm them up. They probably have a hydraulic lock out on top of one leg (The other leg will have the preload adjuster). Might be useful on smooth roads.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-13-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 11:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
If you still have the old MTB, play around with taller longer stems or even a stem riser. if you do not, shop around for an old used one, (rigid frame, mid-'80s on up) and when you see one that won't take a lot of money to be reliable, snap it up. There is nothing like options.

I did a pretty hard 40-mile ride (trying to keep up with a much faster rider (who slowed way down for me but was still too fast) on my race-geometry Workswell. When I got home my legs, but even more my hips and lower back ere killing me. The next day I hopped on my endurance-geometry Workswell, where I sit a lot more upright, and did another 40 miles without discomfort---the slower pace, coupled with the more relaxed riding position, made the second ride possible.

of course, now I find it hard to do 40 miles once in a weekend, but that is a different story .... The real story is ... if you still have the MTB, play with it. Adjust it to fit you better.

if you do not still have that bike, adjust the Jamis. There is nothing wrong with hat bike, and if you play around enough, you should be able to make if feel like a more comfortable version of the Trek. Likely it weighs more, and the fork adds some poundage and maybe steals a little snap form initial inputs, but it is still a solid bike. Adjust it to your needs and desires.

And consider replacing that Trek.
Old 06-13-20, 11:11 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Nope. You either bought the wrong bike, or simply need to stop romanticizing about the old one and enjoy your new purchase.
Old 06-13-20, 01:39 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
The seat looks an inch lower to me. Probably because you didn't allow for the suspension seat post. I would chuck that ASAP.
And I agree the high HB affords ZERO leverage going up hills. As is, it is set up to go only 8 mph.
The new steep slope TTs are a horrible fad.
Old 06-13-20, 02:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,379 Times in 2,731 Posts
I'm not surprised the new bike isn't fun. Have someone help with your fit. .
Old 06-13-20, 02:52 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I've been riding for approaching 60 years, but last year was the first time I can remember where I rode a bike where the handlebar was actually higher than the saddle. It was in the Yukon - a hybrid rental in a place with limited options.

Hill climbing performance was appalling due to the high bars, plus the porky mass of the bike (30 pounds). My first impression was I was so gassed and slow due to the altitude, but that wasn't the issue - it was the bike. The rental didn't even have a suspension fork, which would have added even more useless weight, indistinct steering, and energy-sapping suspension bob.

Worse was descending. A 20mph descent down a 1-mile 8% grade on smooth pavement was terrifying due to the fat knobby tires, and especially the high bars, which made the front end of the bike light and the steering sketchy.
Old 06-13-20, 03:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Great googly moogly those Jamis bars are high!
and what is that pouch connected to your bars...it looks like it would fit a full sized tablet.

As has been mentioned, make the new bike fit the same as the old. Its clearly a different fit based on those pictures.
Old 06-13-20, 03:57 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Holy smokes, the Jamis looks like it is set up like a church pew or straight back chair. No way is that position good for speed or long term comfort. Comparing apples to rocks as far as I can see. The Trek is more the position for my interests.
Old 06-13-20, 05:04 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Yeah I can see how the new bike would be less fun than the old one
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-13-20, 09:16 PM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have the Trek to compare the seat heights but to me it feels like the seat is the same height. When sitting on the bike, I'm able to just touch the ground with my tippy-toes which was the same as the Trek. If I decide to get another vintage mountain bike, what brand do you recommend/parts should I look for?
Old 06-13-20, 09:21 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
You got a more comfortable ride with your Jamis Citizen, but at the expense of "fun". The Citizen geometry, suspension fork and seatpost are not doing you any favors.

A better bike would of been the Jamis Coda.

Originally Posted by morgothaod
If I decide to get another vintage mountain bike, what brand do you recommend/parts should I look for?
Since you liked your Trek 800, look for a Trek 9xx series
Old 06-13-20, 09:31 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Part of the difference is between the suspension fork on the Jamis.

If you are riding on roads (smooth surfaces), a suspension fork isn't needed.

If you can, try locking it out (this might not be possible).

If the stem on the Jamis is adjustable, reduce the angle a bit.

If it doesn't have an adjustable stem, it might be worthwhile to get one.
Old 06-14-20, 12:08 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just being able to touch the ground with your tippy-toes on each bike doesn't mean a thing (other than the seats are both the same height above the ground). That doesn't mean the seats are the same height above the pedals - maybe the old mountain bike had a lower bottom bracket.
Old 06-14-20, 01:12 AM
Nikefutbolero
Cycling Noob

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guys from GCN say new mountain bikes are boring lol.
Old 06-14-20, 04:37 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I hope I adjusted the seat correctly. I just opened the quick release and raised the seat up. I didn't touch the suspension. The pouch that I had on the handlebars holds my phone, keys, and wallet. I attached some pictures of the handlebars. I'm not sure how to adjust them properly.

Old 06-16-20, 10:35 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I found this bike in my area, your thoughts?
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik...135858024.html
Old 06-17-20, 07:16 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Too small.
Old 06-20-20, 11:24 AM
Jason845

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I find aluminum bikes have a "dead' feel to them. Add that ez chair saddle and front suspension it gets even less exciting and disconnected.
Old 06-20-20, 01:05 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by morgothaod
I found this bike in my area, your thoughts?
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik...135858024.html
Do you know the size of your old Trek. Depending on your height, it might work. It is cheap enough to take a look. And if it is not too small you can make it fit.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.