Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TL rim tape

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TL rim tape

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 07:09 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
TL rim tape

How wide should rim tape be? Should it be just enough to cover the valley; should it cover the whole width of the inner rim; or is it a preference thing?
Old 08-18-20, 07:18 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Whole width of the inner rim. It makes a smooth transition for the tire bead, provides a more secure airtight seal, and as long as it's not so excessive that the tire cannot be mounted properly, the extra shoulder height can create a more snug fit for the tire bead and thereby reduce blowoff potential. The tape will also be less prone to being moved around or peeled at the edges or whatever.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-18-20, 07:24 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Whole width of the inner rim. It makes a smooth transition for the tire bead, provides a more secure airtight seal, and as long as it's not so excessive that the tire cannot be mounted properly, the extra shoulder height can create a more snug fit for the tire bead and thereby reduce blowoff potential. The tape will also be less prone to being moved around or peeled at the edges or whatever.
+1

I use 2-3mm wider tape, than the internal width of the rim.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-18-20, 07:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Ditto what was said above. You can also check with your manufacturer - they'll often recommend a specific width for your rims, but as much as 4mm wider than the internal width is not unusual.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-18-20, 10:35 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Glad to hear that I ordered the right size. I wasn't sure. The previous tape job came off with the tire- thanks to the sealant. It looked like the bike shop had used a wider tape that covered the whole rim width.
Old 08-20-20, 12:47 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
For my 23mm rim, 25mm tape was juuust barely not enough. So 27mm ie +4mm seems about right.

For hookless, make that closer to 2.5mm, since the bed width is narrower for the same measured internal width. But I’d say too wide is better than too narrow. Otherwise you end up with peeling.

Related: I highly recommend DT Swiss tape for carbon rims.
Likes For smashndash: