Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where can you get a gold plated Campy crank?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 04:13 AM
rajbcpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...bought some gold plated parts [derailuers front/back, brake levers] for a special project. ...these came from Itally and were purchased through fleeBay.

paying the seller was a royal pain... ....shipping took 9 weeks..... no more FleeBay for me.

where can I purchase a Campy crank - gold plated?

has anyone ever taken an aluminum crank to a professional chrome plater for this? anyone try a jeweler who might try this? what about gold leaf used for religiuos purposes?

I'm out of ideas and need your advice.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-09-20 at 05:37 AM. Reason: removed email link for internet safety
Old 12-09-20, 06:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
The only ones I have seen for sale are on eBay and they are $$$$$. There are platers that can do gold but you would have to polish the crank first. The machine shops I do work for send parts out for gold , mostly for microwave satellite type parts. You could do gold anodize but it would not match your gold plated parts.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-09-20, 07:50 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by rajbcpa
paying the seller was a royal pain... ....shipping took 9 weeks..... no more FleeBay for me.
Paying an eBay vendor certainly shouldn't be a painful process, and I would not recommend using that particular seller again in that case. Shipping taking 9 weeks from Italy is rather typical these days, though, considering the pandemic and all that... Even a few weeks from one continent to another is usual for regular post. You just need to be patient with that part.

Good luck finding what you're after!

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 12-09-20, 09:59 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
paying the seller was a royal pain...
Paypal is quick and easy in my experience.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 12-09-20, 11:05 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
What happened that caused the payment issues? As others have pointed out, PayPal is mostly painless and almost entirely biased in the buyer's favor.

International shipping and customs are slow as a rule, regardless of where you buy your items from. Did you compare the shipping date on the box from your date of purchase? If so, you can't really blame the seller or the buying platform for the delays, can you?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-09-20, 10:30 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
ICS- Ital Cicli Systems- gold plated Campagnolo Record and C-Record parts in the '80's and '90's. If you are in the U.S. you could have a local shop check with Euro-Asia Imports, who had some ICS parts when I worked there. (Granted that was 30 years ago but Euro-Asia is known to hoard rare old parts.) They do not sell directly to consumers so you'll have to find a dealer who has an account with them.

Very blingy stuff... ICS components and bicycles

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 12-09-20, 11:18 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I just referenced the plating shop I would trust.
Gone. Had a devastating fire in 2014 and never recovered- became a superfund site.

all of the gold plated components I have seen are out of Italy. It is I’m sure possible to get a set of cranks gold plated, be interesting how the process works, automotive wheels had an era where chrome plating aluminum rims was a thing. There were high quality efforts and cheapie work too. I would be surprised if gold was plated directly, my guess one or two subordinate layers under.
Old 12-10-20, 04:02 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,894 Times in 930 Posts
Cyclo Retro in Australia gold plate parts: https://www.cycloretro.com/gold-and-chrome-plating
Likes For P!N20:
Old 12-10-20, 07:02 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Cyclo Retro in Australia gold plate parts: https://www.cycloretro.com/gold-and-chrome-plating
I believe that they did the gold plate work on this crankset that I saw back in 2019. They also plated some other of the bike's components.

Pics courtesy of retrogrouch

Old 12-10-20, 08:12 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Paypal is quick and easy in my experience.
PayPal isn't as popular in Europe as it is in the states, it's gotten better in the last five years but still nothing like the US
Old 12-10-20, 12:23 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I believe that they did the gold plate work on this crankset that I saw back in 2019. They also plated some other of the bike's components.

Pics courtesy of retrogrouch

I’ve never seen the rear brake caliper mounted on the inside of the rear stay before.
Old 12-10-20, 02:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Raliegh America also had some limited gold parts stuff in the circa 1990 which were sold dealer or race team only . I have seen some of there stuff pop up on ebay at decent prices recently but most of it seems to get sold nearly instantly. So if you want nice gold plated or gold tone aniodized parts your going to need to check sale sights ebay, CL and here at the BF's regularly and buy as soon as you see it if the price is semi reasonable.
Old 12-10-20, 03:56 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
I am normally not a fan of gold plated parts ( I like anodizing because it is subtle) but I must say that the stuff posted here looks gorgeous! I would think any custom plater could do the work...in my opinion I think the parts either need to be new a carefully refinished. I have seen some stuff that wasn't ground/finished and to my eyes, it looks terrible.

I hope this is not a forum members, but it was over-polished causing a loss of detail and creating an uneven/wavy surface and good plater will be extremely careful with the first few rounds of polishing...not all palters can/will take this care. If you decide to go this route be sure to talk to them about what you expect. A good job will cost much more but the final result will be worth it, you pay for what you get., don't cut corners a poorly plated part will haunt you every time you go out for a ride.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-10-20 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-10-20, 05:23 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
I’ve never seen the rear brake caliper mounted on the inside of the rear stay before.
It's not all that common but was the preferred location for builder Brian Smolenski.

Old 12-11-20, 02:18 AM
rajbcpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...the trouble with ebay payments started to occur when all 4 debit cards issued by three different financial institutions repeatedly refused to pay a foreign vendor located in any city in italy.... apparently, you could used these debit cards to purchase airfair to italy, italy hotels and purchase the parts but only if you physically are there**********

because I failed to pay vendors, ebay bans you from future bidding, future purchases for 10 days... this is periodic and is NOT consistent from failed purchase attempt-to-failed purchase attempt....?

I don't have paypal but I will apply... ,,,,paypal was once a subsidiary of ebay but was spun off to form a separate publically traded company. ...when paypal began, I was forced to open a new separate checking account. failing this, i was not allowed to purchase anything from ebay. ...and i did this but that is why I never used paypal... likened it to financial extortion...

how does a paypal account work? is it linked to a debit card automatically drawing on the card as paypal transactions are generated - or do you prefund the future purchases with under a dump $ and suck $ out approach...? is paypal a card or only a cloud payment system? ...does paypal have the ability [contractual right] to fail to pay anyone such as a foreign retailer, private party?

Last edited by rajbcpa; 12-11-20 at 02:22 AM.