Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

R I P my trispoke 😒

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

R I P my trispoke 😒

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 01:31 AM
Kansey
Kansey

Bikes: Cannondales, alot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
R I P my trispoke 😒

Yup, well I got it for a decent price last year then used it for a while and then didn't pay attention to it. I am now ready to finish my 2.8 project and noticed a idiot I know damaged my Specialized front trispoke. I'm running it tomorrow, think its trash already or it'll run ok? 😑😩😡

Old 12-18-20, 05:17 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I wouldn't ride anything that was damaged carbon fiber. That said, I had a relative who smoked two packs of Camel non filters a day, they finally killed him when he was 96. Maybe you'll have his good luck but when it comes to something supporting my body weight at speed; if you have to ask, the answer is NO.
Old 12-18-20, 05:21 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Thread moved from C&V Appraisals forum to regular C&V forum.

Old 12-18-20, 08:18 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Next you need a set of Spinergy Rev-Xs

(a/k/a the spinning wheels of death)
Old 12-18-20, 08:31 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
That should be repairable assuming similar to how carbon fiber frames are repaired. I don't know what the cost would be.

Appleman Carbon Fiber Repair

This is not an endorsement, I just did a quick search. There may be other out there that can do the repair.

If it were me, I already have West System Epoxy and might even try it myself.
Old 12-18-20, 12:07 PM
Kansey
Kansey

Originally Posted by Ex Pres

naw, it became one 😅
Old 12-18-20, 12:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That should be repairable assuming similar to how carbon fiber frames are repaired. I don't know what the cost would be.

This is not an endorsement, I just did a quick search. There may be other out there that can do the repair.

I used that epoxy and a scrap of unidirectional carbon fiber someone gave me to repair cracked chainstays on a steel bike. (It was hit by a car, Both were cracked for a total of a full revolution). I put 8000 miles on that frame after the repair. Retired it because I didn't know what other damage might have been done. Repair stayed rock solid. Stiffest BB'd Peugeot ever.

To repair that rim, I'd want access to the inside of the rim and run fibers lengthwise from well before the damage to well after so there was plenty of contact for the secondary bond. Cleaning, sanding and laying that fiber inside the rim would be a challenge. Might take an early morning lying in bed insight.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-18-20 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 12-18-20, 12:35 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule

It can be repaired... a lot of info on the tube or send and have a "pro" do it, but the cost may be prohibitive.
You could also contact a university near you that has an architecture or engineering department and ask for some tech. support. Many of my students are working with CF.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-18-20, 01:48 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I used that epoxy and a scrap of unidirectional carbon fiber someone gave me to repair cracked chainstays on a steel bike. (It was hit by a car, Both were cracked for a total of a full revolution). I put 8000 miles on that frame after the repair. Retired it because I didn't know what other damage might have been done. Repair stayed rock solid. Stiffest BB'd Peugeot ever.

To repair that rim, I'd want access to the inside of the rim and run fibers lengthwise from well before the damage to well after so there was plenty of contact for the secondary bond. Cleaning, sanding and laying that fiber inside the rim would be a challenge. Might take an early morning lying in bed insight.
You didn't have to worry about balancing a rotating part on a chainstay repair. Food for thought.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 12-18-20, 02:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
You didn't have to worry about balancing a rotating part on a chainstay repair. Food for thought.
The balance is a secondary issue that might become an issue once or twice at 45 MPH. The rim staying whole, especially at that speed is primary. And you can always epoxy in some weights opposite to balance.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-18-20, 03:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
To me, the uncertainty of the condition of the wheel plus the certainty of injury, perhaps catastrophic injury, if it fails makes this a no brainer - ditch the wheel. Not a close call. Far too risky to do otherwise.

Additional factor - there is never a good time to need to be in the ICU. Now is a really, really bad time. As in, there might not be a bed for you.
Old 12-18-20, 03:35 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Duct tape and roll. Forget the danger, think of the fun.

I actually would not ride it. TW Carbon in St. Louis can fix it.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-18-20, 03:56 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
........ you can always epoxy in some weights opposite to balance.
Golf club lead tape
Old 12-18-20, 04:23 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I wouldn't ride anything that was damaged carbon fiber.
Especially not a front wheel. That's living much closer to the edge than I've ever been comfortable with.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-19-20, 01:17 AM
Kansey
Kansey

Originally Posted by bi
Additional factor - there is never a good time to need to be in the ICU. Now is a really, [i
really bad time. As in, there might not be a bed for you.
Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it👌
Old 12-19-20, 01:25 AM
Kansey
Kansey

Sincerely, its a hard thing to drop the rim just like that. Its a Specialized vintage trispoke in a vintage stiff frame. So i'm starting by getting in contacts with people and see if it really can be repaired, like better than before. I hope its possible, if not ill sell the pair sadly. The pair worked perfectly since I got them, they're pretty heavy tbh but the look cover that. Got them for $290 from a open air market😢

Last edited by Kansey; 12-19-20 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-19-20, 02:51 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Start by assessing it. They look like strong wheels and not delicate. It's a wide blade and there are no sharp corners.
Clean it up with sandpaper or a sharp knife or a dril . Leave a good clean radius Get rid of the damage. That will have to be done anyway for a repair.
How did the damage happen?
How does that spoke feel around the the damage and further out from it?
How does it compare to the other spokes?
Can you flex it?
Is there any other damage on the wheel?
Whats the brake surface like?
What are the hubs like?
Are the wheels already well worn?
It may not even need a repair
If it was me and I had satisfactory answers to those questions I would probably ride it slowly for a while and see how it went. Keep an eye on it.But that's me and I am used to doing inspections.
Certainly repairable if needed.

Last edited by blamester; 12-19-20 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-19-20, 09:54 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts

Eek! I had forgotten about these. Just read the Pardo website page about it. Enough to make a hardman queasy. I'd thought them iconic. Now I think they're iconic for an entirely different reason!
Old 12-19-20, 09:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Send it me and I’ll put it on my brother’s bike.
He once wrecked my motorcycle.
Old 12-19-20, 09:22 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts

I had a Rev-X on the front of a Guerciotti fixed gear that was my messenger bike in the late 90's. It was given to me by a friend who put a chip in one of the fork blades, and he was afraid of it. I rode that thing for a good 2 years until I T-boned a car and turned my frame into a taco. The wheel was still straight, so I put it on a Masi, and rode it for about 6 months more before the rim wore through from braking in the rain for years. Best wheel I've ever had. I'd love to get another one, but I worry that the 25 year old carbon would have become brittle by now. If I find a good deal on one, I'm totally buying it though.
Old 12-21-20, 09:03 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by krakhaus
I had a Rev-X on the front of a Guerciotti fixed gear that was my messenger bike in the late 90's. It was given to me by a friend who put a chip in one of the fork blades, and he was afraid of it. I rode that thing for a good 2 years until I T-boned a car and turned my frame into a taco. The wheel was still straight, so I put it on a Masi, and rode it for about 6 months more before the rim wore through from braking in the rain for years. Best wheel I've ever had. I'd love to get another one, but I worry that the 25 year old carbon would have become brittle by now. If I find a good deal on one, I'm totally buying it though.
Look on the (horror! FB “Carbon Nonsense....” site. They are often sold there, and popular in Europe.