Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Not sure which adjustable stem to buy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Not sure which adjustable stem to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 08:57 AM
IwanaBrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Help with adjusting Giant Roam 3 Disc

I'm been looking for a used hybrid bike that I take with me when we camp with or travel trailer for a while now. The bike will be used for leisurely rides and not too far. Yesterday I finally found a really nice, in perfect condition, 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc bike that I'm considering. My issue is that it's a medium frame bike and I'm 6 ft tall. I'm right at the cusp between a medium and a large frame. I test rode the bike and I guess it felt okay, maybe a bid crammed, but I'm used to riding a road bike with drop bars. I looked the specs and there isn't a whole lot of difference between medium and large frames. Everything worked perfect but I'm no expert on Hybrid bikes. I was thinking that if I added a longer adjustable stem that it would fit better. Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by IwanaBrich; 03-18-21 at 10:01 AM. Reason: title correction
Old 03-18-21, 09:32 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
A stem riser is another option. aheadset stem riser - Google Shopping I like these better since with an adjustable stem your kind of stuck with whatever reach it ends up with as you raise and lower it. At least with a riser you can change to a different length stem if needed. I'd stay away from the super cheapy risers too as there's no telling how sturdy they might be. You may want to ride your bike as is for a few miles just to get a feel for it and make sure it's not so small that you'll never get it to fit before throwing money into it.
Old 03-18-21, 11:51 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Hopefully the price is pretty low assuming not heavily used or needing a lot of work the lower costs bikes hold their value even less over time especially with use. However it sounds like a medium is probably going to be a bit small so you might look at a properly fitting bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-18-21, 06:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
By adjustable does the OP mean an angle adjusting stem or an extension adjusting one? I assume (as crankycrank did) an angle adjusting one. I would only use one of those for as long as I needed to attain the best stem spec then go get a one piece stem of that spec and offer the adjusting angle one to someone looking for the same exploration. Why? because hinges stems have that hing to loosen and cause handle bar rocking. I would say that at least half the hinged stems I see at work on repair job bikes have loose bolts and some are already damaged by the looseness enough to never tighten up securely again. These stems generally come with various warnings about types of use, for good reasons. remember your cables don't transfer steering inputs to the fork/ft wheel after the stem has come apart or broken in two If you must use a hinged stem long term PLEASE either make sure your health insurance is in order or you check the bolts weekly. Andy
Old 03-19-21, 11:27 AM
feejer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I put a Richey adjustable stem on my drop bar conversion trek fx last season, as I was and am still working on proper fit. When both bolts are torqued evenly to spec it is rock solid. Really, it’s super rigid and never once loosened up. I’m using another one on my current build project, and have no worries at all that it will fail.