Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reusing H+Son TB14 rims - how worn is too worn?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 06:25 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts

Picked up some black TB14 rims today, mainly because they were going cheap enough for me to act impulsively.

They seem ok, from what I can determine - turns out it's trickier to tell when you dont have a hub to spin them around! they seem flat and round and show no real signs of abuse. But the brake surfaces have seen some miles - they look like any other well-worn braking surface, but with a "concaveness" that you can definitely feel with a fingertip even if you can't really see it.

Part of the appeal is that TB14s could be an easy swap for MA40s on a wheelset where the rims are tatty but everything else is good - ideally, this could be as simple as the swap RiddleOfSteel showed us a year ago. I'm not looking for miracles, just a decent (wider) set of rims that could handle at least another 2000-3000 miles of easy touring

So my concern/question is - does a concave brake surface mean these are too far gone to invest that kind of effort? should i save my pennies for a new set, 'cos they're awesome, or are TB14s engineered so beefily that I should just press on regardless with these survivors?
Old 03-31-21, 06:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
measure, they way you need to do it is with a micrometer, you have to get around the thicker portion.
I do not know the start dimension of the rims, should be reference-able.
I do not think the rims are especially light or heavy. I want to recall 450grams ? for a box section rim, not bad.
Old 04-01-21, 11:33 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Theyr'e a new enough of rim there should be a wear indicator on the braking surface. I'd use that as a guidline.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-01-21, 02:32 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Hold a flat edge against the braking surface, shine a light behind it and post a pic here.
Old 04-01-21, 07:55 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
TB14s are 490g each. pretty meaty
Old 04-01-21, 08:54 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Originally Posted by tricky
Hold a flat edge against the braking surface, shine a light behind it and post a pic here.
great idea!

Likes For niliraga:
Old 04-01-21, 09:12 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Woof, that's alot of wear.

I've got an old Cane Creek WAM front wheel that looks like that. It lives on a brakeless fixed gear.

I wouldn't put in the effort to build to those.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-01-21, 10:18 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 04-02-21, 12:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by niliraga
great idea!

You might as well wrap a turkey in that. It’s about the thickness of aluminum foil now.

Non wise ass answer: Time for a new rim. Ya got your money’s worth.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-02-21, 06:01 AM
repechage

I would not buy another set so worn.
As said earlier, impressive wear.

I would keep them around to stretch Kevlar bead tires with. Actually I am intending to make a rim into just that, cut a section out and add parts to turn a rim into a bead stretcher.
the Kevlar beads always stretch out a bit and later installs are much easier but the first install is always much effort.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-02-21, 07:35 AM
niliraga 

well, that'll learn me!! thank you all for the collective wisdom - sounds like they are good for wheelbuilding practice but should never see another brake pad.

well, seller must have known they were far gone - at least they came at a "fully disposable" price.

more generally for rims, if/when i work out how to get past the hook and measure actual wall thickness, what is the thickness most of you would consider the limit? much as how chain stretch sets yellow flags at 0.5 and red at 0.75%, is there an equivalent here?

Last edited by niliraga; 04-02-21 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 07:43 AM
niliraga 

Originally Posted by repechage
I would not buy another set so worn.
As said earlier, impressive wear.

I would keep them around to stretch Kevlar bead tires with. Actually I am intending to make a rim into just that, cut a section out and add parts to turn a rim into a bead stretcher.
the Kevlar beads always stretch out a bit and later installs are much easier but the first install is always much effort.
so remove a section to allow rim diameter to shrink for installation - then how to stretch back out? some sort of threaded bolt expander across the cut faces?
Old 04-02-21, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
well, that'll learn me!! thank you all for the collective wisdom - sounds like they are good for wheelbuilding practice but should never see another brake pad.

well, seller must have known they were far gone - at least they came at a "fully disposable" price.

more generally for rims, if/when i work out how to get past the hook and measure actual wall thickness, what is the thickness most of you would consider the limit? much as how chain stretch sets yellow flags at 0.5 and red at 0.75%, is there an equivalent here?
I suspect there is a value for wall thickness out there but I don’t know what it is. I doubt few people actually measure their rim’s wall thickness. Most people are going to go by a visual inspection and checking to see if the wall is concave. I would pitch a rim long before your example.

The concavity of the rim may not be just wear related. When you pressurize the tire, the force of the air pushes out on the wall of the rim. As you thin the rim through braking, the pressure can bend the wall outward. Get the wall too thin and it will fracture. I got to witness this is real time at my co-op when an obstinate customer ignored our advice that his rims were very concave...not even as much as yours. We could see the wall flex as he pressurized the tires and told him it was going to fail. We thought that it would fail down the road but about 15 minutes later we had a blowout with a nice ring of aluminum from where the wall had fractured.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-02-21, 09:35 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

For future reference, modern rims will typically have a little "divot" in them. When the wear reaches a point that the divot is no longer visible, they're toast.

Tires will often have them too.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 04-02-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 11:58 AM
niliraga 

i have some Mavic Open Sports with a wear indicator "ring" machined into the walls, and have seen plenty of generic rims with similar, but I am curious to know if rims that seem to be aiming for retro looks (TB14s, many from VO etc.) put some other kind of indicator that doesnt detract from the look.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
For future reference, modern rims will typically have a little "divot" in them. When the wear reaches a point that the divot is no longer visible, they're toast.

Tires will often have them too.
Old 04-02-21, 12:35 PM
tricky 

I would guess that min thickness is going to be different for different rims. They use different alloys, especially if you are talking vintage vs modern rims. Maybe manufacturers publish something like that. If you are looking for a way to measure thickness, you can get caliper attachments that allow you to get around varying thicknesses. https://www.mcmaster.com/caliper-attachments/ Probably not advised for super accurate measurements, but would be fine here.
Likes For tricky:
Old 04-02-21, 01:27 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

TB-14:

And by no means does it "detract from the look."
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 04-02-21, 03:19 PM
niliraga 

nice! i guess no point looking for that on the beaters I have here...

TB-14:

Old 04-02-21, 04:10 PM
tricky 

TB-14:

Thanks for the pic! I couldn't find anything on the H+Son site mentioning wear indicators.
Old 04-03-21, 09:25 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by tricky
Thanks for the pic! I couldn't find anything on the H+Son site mentioning wear indicators.

They're superb rims. If you're on the fence, just go ahead and click 'buy'.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 04-03-21, 06:23 PM
repechage

so remove a section to allow rim diameter to shrink for installation - then how to stretch back out? some sort of threaded bolt expander across the cut faces?
think turnbuckle in reverse.
Yes, requires some fabrication
Old 04-03-21, 06:47 PM
aland2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
They're worn out but lots of people ride them like that. Be careful. Move your brake blocks for starters so they bear on the unworn surface.
Old 04-04-21, 05:10 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Just to for trivia points, there are 90's era Araya rims that start off concave. Before I got comfortable working on my own wheels, I took a set in to replace a spoke and true the set up. The guy wanted to sell me a new set because these where wore out. I insisted, and the work got done, but I think I had a PIA sur charge added.
Old 04-04-21, 06:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
measure, they way you need to do it is with a micrometer, you have to get around the thicker portion.
A dental caliper is an inexpensive tool to measure rim wear. Usually can be had for about US$5. The problem is, you have to know how much wear is too much wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dental-caliper.jpg (45.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-04-21, 01:32 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
the issue of rim wear gets discussed every so often.
About a year ago, someone presented a way to make a little tool out of an old spoke to permit measuring the rim thickness with an ordinary caliper. I had a Sun CR18 that was getting pretty worn, so I went through the process....

the tool itself.

the thickness of the tool itself, which is needed for a later step.

The tool placed to permit indirect measurement of rim thickness.

measuring the combined thickness of the rim sidewall and tool

of course, the alternative is to make a direct measurement of the rim wall thickness. Not a great option if you might want to use the rim, though.
I replaced this unmachined CR18 with a new machined CR18. The new CR18 had thinner side walls than this worn out CR18.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: