Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

made a bike rack for twin tandem bikes

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 04-03-21, 10:54 AM
Hexar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Here is what I made.

I took an existing 2" hitch mount bike rack, got rid of its vertical column, took 2 Thule roof mount racks, cut them in half, welded two L shaped support frames with 1" steel tubing, then fabricate them together into this.

The rack in the back can also be adjusted to take a normal bike, by moving the "Thule" half rack down about 2 feet.

Added 2 "horizontal stabilizing bars", to prevent too much flex when driving on highway.

Likes For Hexar:
Old 04-04-21, 09:30 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
That's one way to do it! It appears to be pretty stable without the bikes nosing out too far on each side. As you've stated, I would've been concerned about the "wind flex" as well, but it looks as though you have that covered. Great job!
Old 04-05-21, 09:45 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 186 Posts
I admit i'd be very worried to be behind you on the highway. but give you a huge thumbs up after I went to pass...