Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

thoughts on Eurobike XC7000?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

thoughts on Eurobike XC7000?

Old 04-14-21, 12:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
Prior to the current pandemic, my local Trek dealer (where I bought my FX 2) used to offer road bike rentals at these prices, and any rental charges are credited toward the purchase of a Trek bike.

Rent a ride | Trek Bikes

At (or slightly above) the OP's budget, I submit that first buying a decent aluminum hybrid, and later renting a decent road bike, might be a better way to gauge interest in cycling.
Old 04-14-21, 12:39 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
But, you aren't "in" a bicycle.
Semantics.
Old 04-14-21, 12:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
Here is another review, and it really got me thinking,

"4.0 out of 5 stars The correct weight is 37 lbs not 28lbs

Let's split the difference, and agree the the bike weighs around 32 lbs.
Every site (except 1) that I looked at said it was a 37 lb. bike. There's no reason to split the difference -- it is almost certainly a 37 lb. bike.
Old 04-14-21, 12:47 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Every site (except 1) that I looked at said it was a 37 lb. bike. There's no reason to split the difference -- it is almost certainly a 37 lb. bike.

Pinch me
Old 04-14-21, 01:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,041 Times in 3,801 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Holy hell! Between the weight and the crap components, it pretty much guarantees a poor cycling experience. Well, at least it was the color he wanted.
Old 04-14-21, 02:13 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

It's like 3 bikes in 1. congrats, OP, on your 9 new bikes.
Old 04-14-21, 02:23 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Survival in a single vehicle crash is not better for heavier vehicles. I have responded to both Suburban and Miata crashes. Single vehicle Miata is probably as safe. Personally, if I have to be in a single vehicle crash I want it to be a Volvo station wagon.

If it is a multi vehicle crash, I want to be in an M1 Abrams or D9 Cat.

And 36.5 pounds for a "road bike" and it gets 4 out of 5 stars?
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 04-14-21, 02:24 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Survival in a single vehicle crash is not better for heavier vehicles. I have responded to both Suburban and Miata crashes. Single vehicle Miata is probably as safe. Personally, if I have to be in a single vehicle crash I want it to be a Volvo station wagon.

If it is a multi vehicle crash, I want to be in an M1 Abrams or D9 Cat.

And 36.5 pounds for a "road bike" and it gets 4 out of 5 stars?

But it's really like 3 bikes, but each one gets 1.3 stars.

Okay, I'm exagerating. Its more like 2 bikes. 2 stars

Last edited by growlerdinky; 04-14-21 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I exagerate. i bloviate. i am obstinate, and sometimes an ingrate.
Old 04-14-21, 02:28 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Hey OP in all seriousness I hope you and the family enjoy the bikes. Keep the rubber side down.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 04-14-21, 02:48 PM
Jimmy Wisdom
-__-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
My biggest gripe with this entire thread is the assertion that Five Guys makes gourmet burgers. They're good burgers, but certainly not gourmet.
Likes For Jimmy Wisdom:
Old 04-14-21, 05:35 PM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
I wish OP will come back and show us some pictures of the upgraded bike with the new wheels, derailleurs, etc. Seriously.

Oh, and a price breakdown of the upgrades would be interesting as well.
Likes For Rodrigo Kenobi:
Old 04-14-21, 06:15 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Some reviewers are really harsh-Like this one for instance; "4.0 out of 5 stars The correct weight is 37 lbs not 28lbs
Reviewed in the United States on October 1, 2020Love the style... however the main reason I bought this...it's information said the bike weight is 28lbs...when it arrived I had it weighed...it's actually 36-1/2 I ...but I like the setup and it's design...now the screw up is the video of the female riding this bike..you can see she can't ride , then she not dressed like a Cyclist... actually put someone in proper gear...on a street riding this bike..not some bad dressed female who can't ride a bike... wobbling around... please remove and put a better video...that one sucks...but the bike is basically 37lbs in weight...make the new model lighter..."
They want her to change her clothes and lose weight... Come on, she's a model not a bicyclist!
Old 04-14-21, 07:28 PM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Some reviewers are really harsh-Like this one for instance;
Reviewed in the United States on October 1, 2020Love the style... however the main reason I bought this...it's information said the bike weight is 28lbs...when it arrived I had it weighed...it's actually 36-1/2 I ...but I like the setup and it's design...now the screw up is the video of the female riding this bike..you can see she can't ride , then she not dressed like a Cyclist... actually put someone in proper gear...on a street riding this bike..not some bad dressed female who can't ride a bike... wobbling around... please remove and put a better video...that one sucks...but the bike is basically 37lbs in weight...make the new model lighter..."
They want her to change her clothes and lose weight... Come on, she's a model not a bicyclist!
That review is poetry.

And he's asking for the bike to lose weight, not the model. Which is fair enough, let's be honest. Also, have you seen the video he's referencing? He's totally right, that woman is not good at riding bikes! No wonder she spends more time off the bike. Again, to be honest, I would also prefer to spend more time off that bike.

Last edited by Rodrigo Kenobi; 04-14-21 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 08:04 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Sad thing is that for not much more he could have bought a bike that would fit from Bikes Direct or some other online bike vendor with better components and an actual carbon fork, and for his stated upper price limit he could have bought a Canyon entry level endurance bike.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin
Old 04-14-21, 08:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
That should be ok for short rides on flat ground.
Old 04-14-21, 08:41 PM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Sad thing is that for not much more he could have bought a bike that would fit from Bikes Direct or some other online bike vendor with better components and an actual carbon fork, and for his stated upper price limit he could have bought a Canyon entry level endurance bike.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."
He could. But carbon forks are dangerous. So he didn't
Old 04-20-21, 01:50 AM
motopokep
Banned

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
Here is another review, and it really got me thinking,

"4.0 out of 5 stars The correct weight is 37 lbs not 28lbs

Let's split the difference, and agree the the bike weighs around 32 lbs. So, $400.00 gets you a 32 lb bike. Thats the weight of 2 nice bikes! You basically get 2 bikes worth of mass for much less than the price of 1. I'm going to hold out for the XC8000, though.
it weighs 38lbs with the shipping box. I've seen a video of a guy weighing the stock XC7000 one at 28lbs. After the mods I'm planning to do, it's going to weigh about 24 lbs. I've been riding a 38 lbs Schwinn (a few extra pounds for the child seat) for 15 years no problem, and having fun with if. A 24lbs bike is a step up for me. I weigh 230 and not planning on doing any races. I don't think 5-7lbs are going to matter for me at my weight and for my leisure purposes with this bike. I don't even remotely consider myself a cycling enthusiast. When this bike comes in, I'll weigh it stock and post a picture of the scale reading. After I'm done modding it, I'll post another picture down the line. I'll come back on here in a few years and tell y'all how the bike is holding up. If I'm not satisfied with its performance, I'll upgrade to a top quality bike.

I must admit that I agree with the above posts in response to my post, that there is a difference between walking up to a stranger and telling them the bike is bad, vs. me coming here and asking for advice. But calling this bike "trash" is too harsh. I've ready many good reviews about it, from people like myself, who are casual riders.

What surprises me is that many people on this forum, the seasoned crowd for whom this is a life-long hobby, can't get through their thick bike helmets that we're comparing apples and oranges. Of course a $500 no-name bike from China can't be compared in the same sentence to a Trek or a Specialized. At the same time, I can't be compared to all of you. Last time I sat on a road bike with horn handlebars was in my teens, it was picked up for a few bucks at a garage sale, was probably steel, and I rode it like I stole it, for hours, I even wheelied it. Have no idea what happened to it, but I enjoyed it, as heavy as it was, with the thumb (hood?) shifters in the middle. Fast forward 3 decades, I'm looking for something new to do, and buying an entry-level road bike, spending a few hours upgrading it in my garage, something I enjoy doing, and then riding it, sounds like fun. I'll have my son join me to work on his too, as a good bonding activity. Just get off your high horses (a/k/a bikes) and agree that this is a good entry level bike. Again, when I started this thread, I wasn't looking for people to call this bike "trash", especially that these people have never ridden it, and just form their assumption based upon its price and lack of branding. Orbea bikes are made in China also, just as my quality Schwinn is. I'm sure Trek and Specialized didn't emerge as immediately top level brands. When I started this thread, I was under the impression that there would be a couple of members on this forum who have / had this particular bike and could give me their first-person take on it.

P.S. Erik F, you can say I'm ignorant, but I'd like to say that I'm determined to make my own decisions, even if they are contrary to the majority opinion and advice. I've gone against the grain most of my life, and glad I did. I do like to listen to people, but then I weigh their responses and make my own decisions, based upon what's best for me. I just ordered a Mongoose Dolomite ALX, based upon someone's advice on the Fat Bike sub-forum. Initially, before I knew about it, I was looking at cheaper Chinese fat bikes on Amazon, but after reading bad reviews and then talking to people who actually have owned the cheaper bikes and confirmed the bad reviews, I followed the advice of a forum member and picked up the better bike from a known brand. Not a top-notch fat bike from any means, but good overall entry-level fat bike. Again, for the 100th time, I started this particular thread under the naïve belief that I'd hear from people who actually own/owned the Eurobike XC7000. Just so you know, I know you were very opinionated and frustrated on the "nervous about CF" thread I started, yes, I've calmed my nervousness a lot about CF bikes, thanks to the responses on that thread. It was more geared I guess asking if a no-name Chinese CF bike could be trusted. I'll have no problem riding a Trek CF once I'm ready for it.
Old 04-20-21, 02:00 AM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy Wisdom
My biggest gripe with this entire thread is the assertion that Five Guys makes gourmet burgers. They're good burgers, but certainly not gourmet.
I meant "gourmet" compared to McDonalds and Burger King, which doesn't even taste like meat. I've certainly had better burgers than Five Guys, in some restaurants, they're generally better, but not always. However, I ordered a few burgers at upscale restaurants (was in the mood that day, not that I order burgers all the time at fancy black tie events) and was wishing that I was at Five Guys at the moment. We're getting too philosophical about burgers.
Old 04-20-21, 02:02 AM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodrigo Kenobi
I wish OP will come back and show us some pictures of the upgraded bike with the new wheels, derailleurs, etc. Seriously.

Oh, and a price breakdown of the upgrades would be interesting as well.
I promise that I will. It'll be here by end of May, hopefully, I'll weigh it stock, and then I'll upgrade it as time allows, hopefully by mid-summer, and post weight, pictures, and prices. Obviously the upgrades will be reasonable, I'm not gonna put $1,000 wheels on a $500 bike, but $300 wheels are fair game...remember, everything is multiplied by 3, as I'm modding 3 bikes.
Old 04-20-21, 02:09 AM
motopokep
Banned

below is a link to the video of a youtube user weighing himself at 181, and then weighing himself with the bike at 209.8. do the math. aside from him, I've talked to a couple other people online, who weighed the bike for me and both of them verified 28 lbs stock. just look at the video starting at 8:15

Old 04-20-21, 02:22 AM
motopokep
Banned

below is a link to where I bought dem 3 bikes, it lists the "net weight" at 12.8 kilos, x 2.2 = 28.16 lbs. It also lists Shimano Claris as the derailleur. My Schwinn hybrid has Shimano Tourney, which shifts smoothly and holds gears, after I tuned it. From what I read, Claris is a step up from Tourney. Even if not, can always be upgraded. The 2nd link below that is from another seller of same bike, lists same weight.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...4c551b67HkW4rV

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...51e71b6721cvm5
Old 04-20-21, 02:32 AM
motopokep
Banned

so in the end, I bought this bike because I haven't heard anything bad about. Its look is what initially caught my attention, and the price is good for an entry-level bike, the Shimano Claris is good, and aside from the fact that it has crappy wheels and mediocre free pedals that come with it, which I will immediately swap before even riding it, the verdict is that it's a good entry-level bike for the casual cyclist enthusiast who's looking to ride only occasionally, 10 miles a week, probably not even every week. Edit: I should hold off giving it a verdict until I receive it and ride it.
Old 04-20-21, 03:14 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Enjoy your BSO. The money you will spend on upgrading the parts to get it down to 24lbs would have been better spent buying a better spec'd bike that will weigh less than this monstrosity. Also, I hope you don't have any hills near you. It looks like it comes with an 11-25 cassette. On a bike that weighs 28lbs + your weight of 230, you will struggle on any sort of moderate incline. The bike I use for bikepacking weighs about 35lbs fully loaded, and I'm ever so grateful for the super low gearing on that bike when it comes to hills. And I weigh about 100lbs less than you do.
Old 04-20-21, 06:32 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
After I'm done modding it, I'll post another picture down the line. I'll come back on here in a few years and tell y'all how the bike is holding up.
Maybe the moderators can make this thread a "sticky" so it will stay at the top of the page, so that way you'll be able to find it easily and update us as the years and miles go by.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-20-21, 10:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
so in the end, I bought this bike because I haven't heard anything bad about. Its look is what initially caught my attention, and the price is good for an entry-level bike, the Shimano Claris is good, and aside from the fact that it has crappy wheels and mediocre free pedals that come with it, which I will immediately swap before even riding it, the verdict is that it's a good entry-level bike for the casual cyclist enthusiast who's looking to ride only occasionally, 10 miles a week, probably not even every week. Edit: I should hold off giving it a verdict until I receive it and ride it.
You bought a bike with full Claris shifting and wheels that are QR instead of bolt on?
Thats different from what Ive read thru this terrible thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.