Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Rebuilt ProTour (Canadian)

Old 04-12-21, 06:41 AM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Rebuilt ProTour (Canadian)

Hi, I found a rebuilt bike up for sale in my area. Frame torn down, BB, wheel bearings repacked/regreased. Frame was stripped, prepped, baked and repainted. Claims the bike was a "ProTour" brand.

From a message stream...
"I re-greased the bearings in the bottom brakcet and the wheel hubs. They were made true as best they could by the folks at Smith Cycle. The wheels are older and chrome-plated but the braking surface on them is fine and they aren't significantly warped. They've got new rubber on them. I also did the cables and there's a new Shimano cassette on the back. I basically did a whole breakdown, sanded, primed, baked and then painted the frame with the intention of riding the thing but I started working more and traffic got stupid so I never got around to it."

States the RD is a Shimano Tourney. 27" rims, fizik saddle, new cables/housings, frame from Taiwan. I've never heard of ProTour bikes, any thoughts on the quality of the frame/components. It's posted for $200 obo.

Last edited by Topless68; 04-12-21 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-12-21, 08:47 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Taiwanese ProTour that I've seen were sourced from Giant, though there may have been multiple sources. Based on the Tourney and 27" steel rims, it sounds like an entry level model. It's a chain store brand but I forget which one. $200 CDN sounds high to me, even during Covid-19, unless you're in a high priced market, desperate for a bicycle and there's nothing else available in your size.
Old 04-12-21, 10:12 AM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Thanks for the input T-Mar. my market is very limited, which I feel brings the prices up. Not desperate, so i'll keep looking. I think he's just trying to get his money out of it - for the service to the wheels/BB, cables, refinishing the frame, saddle, bar tape, etc.
Old 04-13-21, 07:00 AM
Topless68

Here are some pics of this rebuilt Protour bike. Any thoughts on comparison to a classic Raleigh GP as far as the quality of components?

Old 04-13-21, 07:37 AM
T-Mar

We'd need to have pictures or know the year of the Raleigh GP, as it varied so much over it's life. However, the ProTour is a very basic bicycle, with some upgrades, It would appear to be a hi-tensile steel frame. Most of the OEM parts are steel, including the rims, hubs, crankset and derailleurs. This would quite heavy, around 30 lbs. New, it probably didn't cost $200.00 CDN.
Old 04-13-21, 07:47 AM
Topless68

Originally Posted by T-Mar
We'd need to have pictures or know the year of the Raleigh GP, as it varied so much over it's life. However, the ProTour is a very basic bicycle, with some upgrades, It would appear to be a hi-tensile steel frame. Most of the OEM parts are steel, including the rims, hubs, crankset and derailleurs. This would quite heavy, around 30 lbs. New, it probably didn't cost $200.00 CDN.
The GP is a 76/77, the pictures that i have from the ad aren't great, and I haven't seen it in person (as of yet). I can see paint issues, and know it needs a new rear tire and likely a seat.

Old 04-13-21, 09:00 AM
T-Mar

Most members would consider the Raleigh to be the better bicycle based on components. While the overall photo hasn't been taken from the drive side, it does have SunTour Power Shifters, implying SunTour derailleurs, which will shift better that the Shimano. The crankset cotterless crankset is aluminum, as opposed to steel on the ProTour. Similarly, the hubs are also aluminum and have the advantage of quick release skewers. The Raleigh is likely 1-1/2 to 2 lbs lighter than the ProTour.

The Raleigh appears to be a 1977 model, possibly built in late 1976. The paint condition is quite rough on the Raleigh but then again, that DIY paint job on the ProTour night not be very durable . I doubt much work has been on the Raleigh, so the mechanical condition have leave something to be desired.
Old 09-10-22, 11:15 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 225 Posts
At the insistence of a neighbour at the local church sale, I donated $10 this Pro-Tour 400 and walked it home (tires were too soft to ride) just an hour ago. Mostly rust free it will clean up well and find a home. It is all steel. Everything! Prominent "Made in Canada" decal on the top tube. Shimano RS RD, safety levers and remnants of the what looks like original silver bar tape.