Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is my head tube creaking?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 08:20 PM
Tarmacguy

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

help needed!! is this easy to fix..it only creaks when i stand to climb or kick it for a sprint, just wondering if anyone has any ideas why i am creaking, and how hard, if it can be fixed..itrs not my headset, it appears to actually be my head tube, where the bike logo is printed on the front of the bike..

thanks

I have an integrated bar and stem, and had them all tightened last weekend..
new BB, chain and cassette put in too, so head tube seems like the cause for my pain/annoyance

Last edited by Tarmacguy; 02-10-08 at 08:26 PM. Reason: further info
Old 02-10-08, 08:22 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You might want to post as well in Bicycle Mechanics. Sorry that I can't help ya. Good luck!!
Old 02-10-08, 08:22 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarmacguy
help needed!! is this easy to fix..it only creaks when i stand to climb or kick it for a sprint, just wondering if anyone has any ideas why i am creaking, and how hard, if it can be fixed..itrs not my headset, it appears to actually be my head tube, where the bike logo is printed on the front of the bike..

thanks
Probably not the head tube. Could be anything up front: stem/handlebar connection is the first place I would check (lube, retighten it), front hub, headset, etc. Very hard to tell where noises on bikes are coming from. Could be coming from your BB too. This is a job for a good LBS mechanic. They can always figure it out when I can't.
Old 02-10-08, 08:28 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
the source of the creak can be very deceiving. see the sage advice from Sheldon about this. could actually be handle bar or stem, or a dry steerer.

btw, one of my bikes creaked whenever i rode OOTS. drove me insane for two years. i swore it was the bottom bracket, so i unpacked it, cleaned it, lubed it, checked for cracks etc.. no luck. i proceeded to turn the bike inside out, cleaning, lubing, tightening. still creaked. turned out to be my crappy rear hub, which i only find out when i replaced my wheel set.
Old 02-10-08, 08:28 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Probably not the head tube. Could be anything up front: stem/handlebar connection is the first place I would check (lube, retighten it), front hub, headset, etc. Very hard to tell where noises on bikes are coming from. Could be coming from your BB too. This is a job for a good LBS mechanic. They can always figure it out when I can't.
I would echo that. If your head tube was in fact creaking, your bike frame would be cracked or have failed already and the only sound you would be hearing is the sound of your helmet hitting the pavement. As posted above, remove the stem and handlebars, inspect them very carefully, if all looks good, relube and install to specs. Do not over tighten as this may be part of your problem. How old are your stem and handlebars????
Old 02-10-08, 08:37 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to remove the fork from the frame and inspect the steerer tube, especially if your bike has had a head on impact.
Old 02-10-08, 08:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
My bike was clicking from the steer tube area, the lbs cleaned and lubed the bearings, end of click.
Old 02-10-08, 10:11 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
My bike was clicking from the steer tube area, the lbs cleaned and lubed the bearings, end of click.
+1 the creaking could be lots of things, most of which i'd check first, but i have had creaking coming from my old alu frame and pulling the fork and cleaning and greasing up the bearings and races did the trick.
Old 02-11-08, 07:25 AM
gogoturtle
Ouch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you riding? From your name, I'm guessing it might be a Tarmac.

I recently had a similar problem on an S-Works Tarmac E5; the headtube began to separate.

Specialized replaced the frame under warranty in about a week.
Old 02-11-08, 07:28 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Before you get into a lot of work remove your front skewer and grease it. I chased down a creak for months before I found it. It took about 30 seconds to fix once I figured it out.
Old 02-11-08, 07:32 AM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I would echo that. If your head tube was in fact creaking, your bike frame would be cracked or have failed already and the only sound you would be hearing is the sound of your helmet hitting the pavement. As posted above, remove the stem and handlebars, inspect them very carefully, if all looks good, relube and install to specs. Do not over tighten as this may be part of your problem. How old are your stem and handlebars????
Nah. Unlikely to be that serious - if it is in fact the head tube, the bearings are probably crapping out.
Old 02-11-08, 08:33 AM
Approx01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One guy in our cycling group was chasing down a squeak for A MONTH before he broke down his whole bike trying to find it. I do believe it was the seat post.
Old 02-11-08, 08:40 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Even my LBS master mechanic dude says those noises are VERY hard to track down. He's very good at it, but if it's challenging for him, what chance do you and I have? I've had a couple of these 'mystery noises' over the past two years, and it wasn't easy to find them. Some times it's amazingly simple - in one case an insufficiently tight front QR lever on my Mavic ES wheel was the culprit. That's easy. Check that on your bike first. That was a clicking noise that sounded like the headset too.
Old 02-11-08, 08:51 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
...new BB, chain and cassette put in too, so head tube seems like the cause for my pain/annoyance
Those click noises are a pain, and as mentioned difficult to locate. Checking skewers has been mentioned, but since you mentioned new BB, check they applied grease to the crank arms, and while you're at it, check if you have grease where your pedals are screwed into your cranks.
Old 02-11-08, 09:57 AM
psycho-ist
Gravity Sucks

Bikes: Raleigh road, Specialized Mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have bet big cash that a creaking, clicking headset was my problem. Turned out to be a dry (no grease) seatpost.
Old 02-11-08, 10:38 AM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you just had your bar/stem tightened, that's where I'd look first. Sometimes it takes a few rides to settle before the creaking stops. I just did this with my stem/bars and it creaked for the first few rides, only when putting weight on the bars though.
Old 02-13-08, 07:37 PM
Alphonso

Bikes: 2003 Trek 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks

I have an integrated bar and stem, and had them all tightened last weekend..
new BB, chain and cassette put in too, so head tube seems like the cause for my pain/annoyance
I had the exact problem you describe. Turned out to be the thread on the pedals. A little lube, problem fixed.
Old 02-13-08, 07:42 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch
the source of the creak can be very deceiving. see the sage advice from Sheldon about this. could actually be handle bar or stem, or a dry steerer.

btw, one of my bikes creaked whenever i rode OOTS. drove me insane for two years. i swore it was the bottom bracket, so i unpacked it, cleaned it, lubed it, checked for cracks etc.. no luck. i proceeded to turn the bike inside out, cleaning, lubing, tightening. still creaked. turned out to be my crappy rear hub, which i only find out when i replaced my wheel set.
Huh ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-13-08, 08:18 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable rub can creak too.
Old 02-13-08, 09:56 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
If I recall you have a Tarmac Expert which I assume has Ksyrium wheels. Lube up and tighten your skewers before you do anything else.
Old 02-13-08, 10:31 PM
Tarmacguy

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have it at the shop today being looked at, i am getting them to pull the forks out and check the bearings...i cant beleive how many pple have said it might be my skewers, i have checked this at all, i was certain when i put my head next to the head tube the noise is coming from there...

wHAT SORT OF LUBE DO I USE, PPLE ARE SAYING LUBE IT UP, WHAT SORT OF LUBE ARE WE TALKING PLEASE?

Last edited by Tarmacguy; 02-13-08 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 10:48 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i put a thin layer of grease on my skewers and dropouts.
Old 02-14-08, 12:33 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have alloy bar and stem connection a very light layer of grease will most likely resolve the isssue.

Do a search on noises and Mechanics fourm is a great place for issues like this. Good luck.
Old 02-14-08, 12:37 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost forgot this trick. If you have an indoor trainer, put the bike in the trainer and see if you can "make" the noise happen. If so, get a buddie to listen using a tube from a roll of paper towels to isolate the location of the noise. May only get you to the general location of the noise but this has worked for me numerous times.
Old 02-14-08, 06:35 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
..i cant beleive how many pple have said it might be my skewers, i have checked this at all, i was certain when i put my head next to the head tube the noise is coming from there...
I replaced a BB last year due to a noisy freehub. Point is noise travels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.