Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anybody use a TT helmet for the winter?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-27-12, 08:16 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the parts on me that usually gets the coldest is my forehead. It usually on days where it's not extremely cold, so I don't wear a balaclava or anything, and just a headband. I end up sweating a lot my headband gets sweaty, and when it moves the tiniest amount, I get wind rushing by wet exponsed skin which can get pretty bad on downhills. I'm thinking of this more for longer road rides in the winter as opposed to general commuting.

It seems like a time trial helmet with a visor might be the ideal solution for winter. Any downsides that I'm overlooking?

Nashbar has a good deal on the Giro Advantage 2 at the moment, which you can supposedly attach a visor to.
Old 01-28-12, 12:19 AM
Oil_LOL
Green Tea Lemonade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngrySaki
It seems like a time trial helmet with a visor might be the ideal solution for winter. Any downsides that I'm overlooking?
TT helmets have little to no ventilation, as all the emphasis is on aero. I'd look into a skateboarding-type helmet or something. TT helmets are also really expensive. What helmet are you using currently?
Old 01-28-12, 02:38 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking the little to no ventilation might be good for winter (I get the same cold/sweat evaporation on my head as I do on my forehead, but just not as bad). I was considering covering up the vents on my current helmet.
Right now I'm using a standard $40 giro helmet, I think the model is the Indicator.
I thought about skateboarding type helmets too, but they don't cover the ears. I was thinking it would be nice to not need a headband which keeps my head extra sweaty. I agree, the price is the kicker, but $75 isn't too bad IMO.
Old 01-28-12, 01:20 PM
Oil_LOL
Green Tea Lemonade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Gorgonz-21300-.../dp/B002VLK0NS

You could put something like these over you ears. they seem to be out of the way. Then you could cover up your vents, and your forehead won't be all sweaty.
Old 01-28-12, 06:35 PM
RickB.

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R1000, Haluzak Horizon recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cover the front vents on my helmet with clear packing tape, wear a polar fleece type beanie with ear flaps, and either a smart wool neck gaiter that also puts a second layer over my ears, or a "turtle fur" (brand name) face mask (depending on the temperature). https://www.jrgraham.com/browse.do?ac...ctg_id=7198439

Last edited by RickB.; 01-28-12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-28-12, 06:40 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'll use an alpine ski helmet when temps are below 20f.

https://www.giro.com/us_en/snow/snow-helmets/ski.html
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 01-29-12, 10:05 PM
EAA

Bikes: Fuji Nevada - winter/bad weather ... 80's Nishiki Prestige ... 80's Basso Gap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually wear a CCM hockey helmet in the winter - much warmer than a typical bike helmet. If it's really cold I add a pair of clamp on Ear Grip type ear muffs - they fit under the helmet pretty well. Don't know for sure but I would guess it's at least as good for head protection as well.
Old 01-29-12, 10:24 PM
JAG410

Bikes: A few ;)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use a Bern Watts helmet with the knit liner, it's been great all winter so far, lowest I've ridden in this year is -12F or so.
Old 01-29-12, 10:42 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Giro Nine helmet, no liner or anything. I've barely even used the ear muffs, maybe somewhere around -20C.
Old 01-30-12, 05:03 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
All I wear is a TT helmet -- regardless of the weather. If you aren't 100% aerodynamic out on the road, you're just ****ing around man.

The last thing you'd want to do is to just wear your regular helmet with 1-2 thin skull caps. That would just be stupid.
Old 01-30-12, 11:33 AM
DJ Shaun

Bikes: Diamondback Copperhead (hardtail, winter bike), 2014 Giant Rapid 2, 2015 Kona Big Rove ST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
The last thing you'd want to do is to just wear your regular helmet with 1-2 thin skull caps. That would just be stupid.
But that's what I do!

Actually I've been contemplating getting a ski helmet for winter cycling. I've been winter commuting for a month and I've decided I'm going to stick with it. The regular helmet isn't helping when I get caught in freezing rain or a blizzard.

Last edited by DJ Shaun; 01-30-12 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-30-12, 04:43 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting a ski helmet had crossed my mind too, but I thought a TT helmet would have more use since I could use it in the summer here and there, when I had somewhere far I wanted to go and fast.
Old 01-30-12, 09:20 PM
Oil_LOL
Green Tea Lemonade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngrySaki
Getting a ski helmet had crossed my mind too, but I thought a TT helmet would have more use since I could use it in the summer here and there, when I had somewhere far I wanted to go and fast.
Honestly, using a TT helmet only has one real advantage, and that's in a strict Time Trial. It's a high end piece of sports equipment, and sacrifices comfort and utility for aero and speed. In a commuting or training situation, a TT helmet will not make you considerably faster, and will probably only make you sweat more.
Old 01-31-12, 05:46 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Honestly, using a TT helmet only has one real advantage, and that's in a strict Time Trial. It's a high end piece of sports equipment, and sacrifices comfort and utility for aero and speed. In a commuting or training situation, a TT helmet will not make you considerably faster, and will probably only make you sweat more.
You forgot the most important advantage: that of looking incredibly d-o-u-c-h-e-tastic!
Old 01-31-12, 09:39 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Helmet cover and balcava works for me.
Old 01-31-12, 10:52 AM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Something like this works just fine for me that being said glasses will fog up if covering your whole face with it.
Old 01-31-12, 11:13 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's one more advantage than a ski helmet . But that's assuming the a TT helmet has the same winter advantages, which it may not.

You forgot the most important advantage: that of looking incredibly d-o-u-c-h-e-tastic!
It wouldn't really bother me if the type of people who would find someone wearing a TT helmet ******tastic thought I looked ******tastic.
Old 02-07-12, 08:46 AM
scotjonscot

Bikes: some

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A ski or snowboarding helmet works pretty well.
Old 11-23-20, 03:31 PM
Lbbronson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I considered getting one for the advantages of the visor as i ride all winter commuting and for work averaging in at about 40 miles a day in the winter. People are saying expensive and slight advantage and so on but as a rebuttal they’re only about 250 for a nice one and serious cyclists spend hundreds of dollars for very slight advantages like shedding a few grams here and there. For example recently i was looking for a high end saddle and i noticed it cost an average of 100$ to shed 100g shopping same brand. That’s a lot! Really any nice addition always costs hundreds of dollars if you’re looking top end... so back in track to tt helmets i noticed there are many with a much less pronounced tail in the back. Cask has some nice ones. They actually offer a city specific helmet w a visor too if it is only the visor you are looking for. But a little off topic i get some strange vibes from the my little pony picture you have there..... i certainly hope you’re not w the bronies lol
Old 12-01-20, 08:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I use a ski helmet and goggles if it gets cold enough.