Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Fork-Pack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ortlieb Fork-Pack

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 03:19 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Ortlieb Fork-Pack

I am wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with the Ortlieb Fork-Pack. I did look at the Tailfin Fork Packs, but there are a few negative reviews on Amazon indicating failures plus paying $AU400 + is well getting into Lala land, so I am back to considering the Ortliebs. Just hard to find any user experience.

As they stand they seem the most cost effective option for me if they are durable.
Old 03-31-24, 05:00 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 241 Posts
Sea to Summit River bags, they come in 5 and 8L. attached to a titanium KING cage, nothing lighter and cheaper.

Old 03-31-24, 05:25 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 107 Posts
I have them. Very pleased. I also carry 2 x 5L dry bags attached to the rear rack. Fork packs can be attached/detached much faster. They also provide easier access to content. No sign of wear after months and thousand of kms. Completely waterproof.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 03-31-24, 06:44 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Originally Posted by str
Sea to Summit River bags, they come in 5 and 8L. attached to a titanium KING cage, nothing lighter and cheaper.
That is great and I am pleased it works for you, but it was not what I asked about so not sure why you posted here.
Old 03-31-24, 06:48 AM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by gauvins
I have them. Very pleased. I also carry 2 x 5L dry bags attached to the rear rack. Fork packs can be attached/detached much faster. They also provide easier access to content. No sign of wear after months and thousand of kms. Completely waterproof.
Excellent. That is the information I need. I was a bit concerned, given the mount is plastic, but it is interesting that the Tailfin Fork Packs mounts, which are aluminium, have been failing for several people. This is the way to go, as it involves the least hassle and provides a robust, cost-effective solution to my situation.
Old 03-31-24, 08:15 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 382 Posts
I've got the smaller 4.1 liter ones and I like them so far. Like gauvins mentioned, they are super easy to take on and off, which is nice. And the plastic mounting system looks pretty sturdy, with plenty of reinforcing bits. I don't have a ton of miles on them, but they've survived miles of gravel, some rocky singletrack, and a crash so far.

Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-31-24, 08:47 AM
str

Originally Posted by Aushiker
That is great and I am pleased it works for you, but it was not what I asked about so not sure why you posted here.
""""plus paying $AU400 + is well getting into Lala land""""

oh, sorry, very sorry that I posted here. Iam, very sorry again! really sorry, please forgive me.
Old 03-31-24, 08:49 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 679 Posts
Work great. Thousands of miles, works as promised. Reliable, durable and easy to mount and remove. One feature people forget is the ease to carry when off the bike. Would purchase again 100%.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-31-24, 10:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,045 Times in 2,699 Posts
I have them and so far I love them. Granted I haven't put a ton of time with them and haven't done any tours but did go grocery shopping yesterday and they saved me as my pannier was full and wouldn't close so I shoved a bunch of stuff in them and worked like a charm. They haven't moved and are pretty easy to install and waterproof for sure but they are Ortlieb so if they weren't waterproof I would be scared. I have little doubt these things will last forever.

If you want to see tiny pictures (because something happened in transferal from my phone or uploading to PedalRoom) of them mounted:
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/charl...5oh-yeah-50606

I think the anything type cages are cool but I think I like this more in terms of ease of use and no straps to worry about but the anything type cages tend to look better without bags.
Old 03-31-24, 07:59 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by str
""""plus paying $AU400 + is well getting into Lala land""""

oh, sorry, very sorry that I posted here. Iam, very sorry again! really sorry, please forgive me.
Selective quoting, really

Let me help you out. Emphasis (bold) added to aid comprehension.

Subject line: Ortlieb Fork-Pack

What I said in all its glory:

"I am wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with the Ortlieb Fork-Pack. I did look at the Tailfin Fork Packs, but there are a few negative reviews on Amazon indicating failures plus, paying $AU400 + is well getting into Lala land, so I am back to considering the Ortliebs. Just (sic) hard to find any user experience."

See, that little quote you took of my words was about the
Tailfin Fork Packs. I thought that was pretty obvious, but maybe not. Anyway, I hope this post helps you understand what was being asked. Of course, if you need clarification at any time, please ask. I really don't bite.
Old 03-31-24, 08:01 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by john m flores
I've got the smaller 4.1 liter ones and I like them so far. Like gauvins mentioned, they are super easy to take on and off, which is nice. And the plastic mounting system looks pretty sturdy, with plenty of reinforcing bits. I don't have a ton of miles on them, but they've survived miles of gravel, some rocky singletrack, and a crash so far.
Thanks, John. It is great to hear that they working well for you, and I do like the neat way they mount and look on the bike. Given my lack of mounting options this seems the best option so I am pretty sure I will go this way.
Old 03-31-24, 08:02 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Work great. Thousands of miles, works as promised. Reliable, durable and easy to mount and remove. One feature people forget is the ease to carry when off the bike. Would purchase again 100%.
Thanks. This is reassuring. Ortlieb here I come

Last edited by Aushiker; 03-31-24 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-31-24, 08:08 PM
Aushiker

[QUOTE=veganbikes;23200696]I have them and so far I love them. Granted I haven't put a ton of time with them and haven't done any tours but did go grocery shopping yesterday and they saved me as my pannier was full and wouldn't close so I shoved a bunch of stuff in them and worked like a charm. They haven't moved and are pretty easy to install and waterproof for sure but they are Ortlieb so if they weren't waterproof I would be scared. I have little doubt these things will last forever.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the anything type cages are cool but I think I like this more in terms of ease of use and no straps to worry about but the anything type cages tend to look better without bags.
I have them on my Salsa Fat bike and I am very happy with them. That bike has the advantage of having the mounting points on the fork so no need to sort that out as I will have to do with the new bike. The Ortliebs appear to get around the problem of no mounts at a reasonable cost and with an effective mounting method for suspension forks.
Old 03-31-24, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

[QUOTE=Aushiker;23201208]
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have them and so far I love them. Granted I haven't put a ton of time with them and haven't done any tours but did go grocery shopping yesterday and they saved me as my pannier was full and wouldn't close so I shoved a bunch of stuff in them and worked like a charm. They haven't moved and are pretty easy to install and waterproof for sure but they are Ortlieb so if they weren't waterproof I would be scared. I have little doubt these things will last forever.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have them on my Salsa Fat bike and I am very happy with them. That bike has the advantage of having the mounting points on the fork so no need to sort that out as I will have to do with the new bike. The Ortliebs appear to get around the problem of no mounts at a reasonable cost and with an effective mounting method for suspension forks.
No worries happy to help. Mine is mounted on a 3 hole set up so I haven't had a chance to try them on suspension forks but I might see if I can get mounts and try it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-31-24, 08:16 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by str

As always, incredible picture. (albeit totally inappropriate

You have an opinion on the aesthetics of fork packs vs dry bags? And more generally, on packing systems? Not that I care much about aesthetics (see below), yet...

[Taken somewhere between Calais and Dover. 1. the pack on top of the rack is loaded with food. (I was, after all, entering the UK from France... precautions were in order); 2. very unappealing theft target 3. and notice the red pack on the left, vs black on the right. On purpose so I can tell where are my socks, at a glance. ]

(keep the pics coming -- summer is still weeks ahead)

Likes For gauvins:
Old 03-31-24, 10:22 PM
Aushiker

[quote=veganbikes;23201213]
Originally Posted by Aushiker
No worries happy to help. Mine is mounted on a 3 hole set up so I haven't had a chance to try them on suspension forks but I might see if I can get mounts and try it.
You can see the suspension fork mounting system at ~ 6:06 mark in the video below:

I particularly like the use of the band with a tensioning screw over the use of cable ties.

Old 04-01-24, 01:51 AM
str

Originally Posted by gauvins
As always, incredible picture. (albeit totally inappropriate

You have an opinion on the aesthetics of fork packs vs dry bags? And more generally, on packing systems? Not that I care much about aesthetics (see below), yet...

[Taken somewhere between Calais and Dover. 1. the pack on top of the rack is loaded with food. (I was, after all, entering the UK from France... precautions were in order); 2. very unappealing theft target 3. and notice the red pack on the left, vs black on the right. On purpose so I can tell where are my socks, at a glance. ]

(keep the pics coming -- summer is still weeks ahead)
Thanks.
I don't like it when these little fork pack stand out a lot, and thats the case with the ortlieb bags. Of course it works, for sure.
Old 04-01-24, 08:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

[QUOTE=Aushiker;23201303]
Originally Posted by veganbikes

You can see the suspension fork mounting system at ~ 6:06 mark in the video below:

https://youtu.be/_DOuuRmXkiI?feature=shared

I particularly like the use of the band with a tensioning screw over the use of cable ties.
It works well, ABUS uses that for their folding locks and it is fantastic. My lock on my Supercharger hasn't moved at all I bet there is a clear mark where it has sat unmoved for 3000+ miles. Cable ties and zip ties are fine but honestly this is a much better system overall and I have fewer worries about UV damage or breaking one (even though they make specific high strength UV resistant ties.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-01-24, 02:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,679 Times in 7,370 Posts
Originally Posted by str

Heh. I climbed Tiscar from Quesada to Pozo back in the day. Great view of the Sierra Nevada poking through the clouds.

Poor scan of a slide.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-01-24 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-02-24, 12:03 AM
str

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. I climbed Tiscar from Quesada to Pozo back in the day. Great view of the Sierra Nevada poking through the clouds.

Poor scan of a slide.

Great, you had beautiful views!
Old 04-02-24, 09:44 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by str
Great, you had beautiful views!
The manager of the campground outside of Pozo gave me a bottle of wine after I told her I had come from Cazorla over Tiscar.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-02-24, 12:52 PM
str

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The manager of the campground outside of Pozo gave me a bottle of wine after I told her I had come from Cazorla over Tiscar.
Did you explore the off roads there? very beautiful. And the old town of Cazorla is very nice.
Old 04-02-24, 07:08 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by str
Did you explore the off roads there? very beautiful. And the old town of Cazorla is very nice.
No. It was only my second tour and my first solo one. I was leery of dirt. I spent the night in Cazorla. It was cold, and snow was still visible on the surrounding hills, but I had a great lunch of conejo.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-24, 10:58 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 56 Posts
So far, on my rigid fork, I like the Salsa Anything cradle, for the main reason that I can strap any cylindrical dry bag or oversized water bottles. I use a pair of Sea to Summit 4liter dry bags with rounded bottoms. I like this configuration.