Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Adirondack Rail Trail and Railways imporovements

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 06:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3250 Post(s)
Liked 2,095 Times in 1,186 Posts

Saw this in the NY Times this morning:

Essentially, new rail trail between Lake Placid and Tupper Lake, roughly 34 miles or so (OW), then fix the rail bed for 45 miles south of Tupper Lake for tourist trains.

"Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has approved a $23 million plan for a state-owned rail corridor, which calls for renovating 45 miles of tracks to extend the route of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad to Tupper Lake and converting 34 miles into a multiuse recreational trail from Tupper Lake to Lake Placid.

The work will begin this fall and be completed within three years, Mr. Cuomo said on Tuesday. The Olympic Regional Development Authority in Lake Placid will have a hand in managing the broad, flat trail that will be used for bicycling, walking, skiing and snowmobiling.

“This long-distance, multiuse recreation trail between Lake Placid and Tupper Lake will complement our facilities like no other here in the Olympic region,” Ted Blazer, the president and chief executive of the development authority, said in a news release.

Rail supporters, who lobbied to have the tracks upgraded all the way to Lake Placid, vowed to fight the plan.

“We are going ahead with a court case trying to prove this decision process was not conducted fully aboveboard,” said Bethan Maher, executive director of the nonprofit Adirondack Scenic Railroad. “We firmly believe the maximum economic benefit and tourism potential will be served by extending the railroad to Lake Placid.”
Old 05-18-16, 05:43 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
This has been a controversial issue up here with those of us who are active pushing for the rail trail and business interests wanting to continue using the rails for seasonal tourist trains and some of those small cars that ride the rails when you push levers.

My humble opinion is that the new 34 mile path will be a wonderful resource year round. It goes through a beautiful part of the Adirondacks, it will be used by far more people than the train and will encourage people to spend a few days or so in the area. Historical groups bemoan the loss of rail and a few stations, but I'd sooner live in an active environment. I'm thinking that cyclists, hikers and x-country skiers will be hungrier, dine out more, stay longer, buy a few things etc.
Old 05-18-16, 06:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3250 Post(s)
Liked 2,095 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
This has been a controversial issue up here with those of us who are active pushing for the rail trail and business interests wanting to continue using the rails for seasonal tourist trains and some of those small cars that ride the rails when you push levers.

My humble opinion is that the new 34 mile path will be a wonderful resource year round. It goes through a beautiful part of the Adirondacks, it will be used by far more people than the train and will encourage people to spend a few days or so in the area. Historical groups bemoan the loss of rail and a few stations, but I'd sooner live in an active environment. I'm thinking that cyclists, hikers and x-country skiers will be hungrier, dine out more, stay longer, buy a few things etc.
Agree with you 100%. I think the communities of LP, SL and TL will all see additional business from a bike trail then would have from a scenic railway. Which will still exist from TL south and in truth I think this is a great compromise as there would likely be less bike and walking traffic south of TL due to the remoteness of the rail line location. It skips Long Lake and Blue Mt. Lake entirely and is out among nothing but trees. Not many folks are going to want to tackle those distances as a family outing.
Old 05-19-16, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18435 Post(s)
Liked 15,602 Times in 7,347 Posts
Sounds like having the train and the trail is the best of both worlds.

While not the same, Jim Thorpe, PA there is the southern terminus of the Lehigh Gorge Trail. The first eight or so miles is a rails-with-trails situation, with an active rail line paralleling the trail north along the river. The owner of the active rail line runs a tourist train operation during certain times of the year. Some people come to town for the train ride and others to ride the trail. Both are very popular. (I think the train does its best business during foliage season.) In the end, the town gets business from both groups of users. There are a couple of bike rental places in town. At least one offers a shuttle service that takes you to the northern terminus of the trail so you can ride the 25 or so miles back to town. There is a similar operation at the north end in White Haven that will pick you up in Jim Thorpe and take you back there once you have cycled the trail.

Having seen things evolve up there over the last 20+ years, I believe it's the outdoor activities, including cycling, rafting/canoeing/kayaking on the Lehigh River which have been the main driver of the commercial re-birth of the town.
Old 05-30-16, 02:16 PM
Bluesman9294

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale SR400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rails and Trails, why not?

I agree with indyfabz, Rails and Trails! Why not?! I live in Saranac Lake (directly between Lake Placid and Tupper Lake) just last year they started running 2 and 4 person rail bikes on the tracks. Seems to be pretty successful and looks like a lot of fun. The tracks are already there and look; not everyone wants to peddle or hike or snowshoe or what ever. This is a tourist town and unfortunately there are not many attractions for those who don't want to hike in the woods, kayak, cycle, etc. I would take a day trip by train to another town, rent some bikes for a leisurely spin and dine at a restaurant before the return trip for sure! In addition, I believe much of the pressure to remove the tracks up here has been from snowmobiling groups over the past years. Granted, it's potentially big business (when we have snow!) and yes, they should be accommodated but, I've gotta tell ya' it's a bit unnerving to be hiking, skiing, snowshoeing the trails and have a sled buzz by you at 60mph!! I thinks there's room for all if the state and the region can get it together.