Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Delta or Tadpole? Pros/Cons? Let me hear what you've got!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 02:56 PM
biggieou

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads, Shogun roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I went to the LBS and I think I want a trike. Now I'm not sure whether a Delta or aTadpole. They carry Sun, Cattrike and Rans. The Cattrike and Rans are out of my budget(sucks I know), so its gonna probably have to be a Sun or nothing. I like the styling and comfort of the EZ-3 USX-HD and it is $1450 plus tax. Sun's EZ-3SX Tad (24spd) is $1281 plus tax. I also have looked at the TT Rover like Peter C, but its only 8 speeds and the 24spd upgrade is $150. So for the TT Rover $999+$150(upgrade)+$150 shipping=$1299. So obviously the Sun will be slightly more with tax. My currently weight is 308-311(haven't weighed myself today) and dropping. The TT is rated to 400lbs and the Sun Tad is 300lbs. Will the Sun explode if I try and ride it right at the limit?
Weight wise, the TT Rover is 6lbs lighter at 42 as opposed to 46 for the Sun Tad. The Sun Delta is big at 65lbs. So with the greater size and weight of the Sun Delta, I'm leaning towards a tad. I have a pickup that I can transport our bikes in if we decide to go somewhere to ride, but the Trike just seems like its too much.

It seems the more research I do, the more confused I get!!!
Old 02-10-11, 06:15 PM
IrvJamison

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the tadpole design better. Here’s why. On a tadpole the drive wheel on most of the different brands out there is the rear wheel and most will use a 20” wheel. Some have standard or optional 26” or 700 wheels. The smaller the drive wheel, the larger the chain rings need to be to get some speed ( unless you have a IGH and/or a Schlumpf drive). My tadpole has a 26” rear wheel with a 24-38-48 chain ring with a gear inch of about 18-112. This allows me to ride in the mountains and still have speed on the flats using “standard” gears. I don’t need an expensive 65-tooth chain ring for speed. I’m not against a 20” drive wheel as I have a FWD/Flexchain/8spd IGH/22-34-44 bike with a 20” drive wheel. I feel that the drive train is more of a pain on a Delta and most only drive one-rear wheel, which I do not like. Also, I think that a tadpole is shorter and more compact for travel and is lower. I suggest that you TEST RIDE both BEFORE you buy and base your purchase on which bike feels better to you, then start having fun!
Old 02-10-11, 07:25 PM
biggieou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Irv,
Thanks for the very insightful reply. All three 'bents that I have mentioned have 20" wheels. I'm not sure of the bikes gear ranging that you were speaking of. I'm not worried about setting any land/speed records thats for sure. Im usually anywhere from 14-18mph on my DF, as long as I'm not lumbering at 8mph I'll be happy, haha. The biggest worry with the tadpole I have is visibility while riding on the road.
Unfortunately I dont think I'm going to be able to ride the TT or Sun Trike before I buy. There are no TT dealers near me and the LBS' I have contacted nearby would have to order the Sun.
Old 02-10-11, 08:20 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unless you can't manage the trip, I suggest going to a great bent dealer and doing extensive test rides. On the basis of thousands of trike miles I believe you should get a ___________ and the only person who can fill in the blank correctly is you. If you can't manage a trip just buy the Rover, ride it, enjoy it, and perhaps move to something different in a year or two.
Old 02-11-11, 10:19 AM
biggieou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George, I understand what youre saying. I wish there was a dealer that had a ton of trikes to test ride by me. Uggh. Is there a big chance of me getting a trike and not being comfortable in it? It seems as if I am destined to be more comfortable and pain free in a trike regardless of the make compared to my DF.
Old 02-11-11, 10:47 AM
IrvJamison

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
biggieou,
Look at it like this, which would you rather sit on for mile after mile, the edge of a 2x4 or your favorite recliner? Also I think that you might have a hard time falling off of a trike!
Old 02-11-11, 11:06 AM
biggieou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha yeah, I'm definitely getting a tadpole, just not sure which one now.
Old 02-11-11, 11:31 AM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an EZ-Tad SX, (the thing in my avatar but now it is torn down to be a plain trike now). That model or the EZ-Tad CX would probably handle 300 pounds. As it was in the photo it was over 200 pounds. I have a skinny Optima C-F seat on it now so the streamliner fairing would fit but the web seat it had originally would support a big person. I can say it was terrific modified! Very well balanced per wheel.
Old 02-11-11, 11:51 AM
GeorgeVW

Bikes: GT Karakoram K2, Sun AX3 USX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would probably be worth the 3 hour drive to Fairfield Cyclery. They carry both Sun and Terratrike, as well as other brands and usually have used. Call them and see what they have and then make a day of it.
Old 02-11-11, 12:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeVW
It would probably be worth the 3 hour drive to Fairfield Cyclery. They carry both Sun and Terratrike, as well as other brands and usually have used. Call them and see what they have and then make a day of it.
Yup. A fool learns by experience. A wise man learns by other people's experience. In addition to the opportunity to see and test ride a number of different styles of recumbents, you also get to profit by the shop staff's experience regarding storage, transporting and working on (if you do your own work) the recumbent that you ultimately buy.

If you're considering spending $1,200 to $1,500, spend a few dollars more and be more sure of getting it right the first time.
Old 02-11-11, 06:36 PM
biggieou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking around on Utah's website and I see that they also sell custom TT's https://www.utahtrikes.com/UTCustom.html Are any of these worth looking at or would getting the standard Rover be fine for my needs? Whats the perk of having the 26in rear wheel?
Old 02-11-11, 06:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Delta there is a decision on how to drive 2 wheels (differential or what?),
tadpole there is just 1 driven wheel.
Old 02-11-11, 07:02 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by biggieou
I was looking around on Utah's website and I see that they also sell custom TT's https://www.utahtrikes.com/UTCustom.html Are any of these worth looking at or would getting the standard Rover be fine for my needs? Whats the perk of having the 26in rear wheel?
It seems the 26in. rear wheel isn't as big a deal as getting the "right" gear range/combo for where you plan to RIDE the trike! If we decided to go trikes in 2012, like you we are "budget constrained" and the TT Rover has a "GREAT" price but with lot's of hills here in Colorado Springs, I'd "have" to find the extra funds for the "24 Speed Conversion" UTrike can do to the TT Rover. A 8 Speed "internal geared hub", just wouldn't have the "gear range" I need to get my 250lbs and a trike over the hills, without me blowing a gasket, body wise! :O

For me I'd need both smaller chainwheels, (normal: 52/42/30, what I THINK I need is more like: 48/32/24 (or even 22) as I have "NO CAR" and haul food, etc. in a homemade "utility trailer", the rear 8 Speed Cassette for me: 12-34, so MY custom TT Rover would probably cost more than what YOU might need. How much "strain" do you have getting up a good/steep hill on your current DF bike? If your huff'in and puff'in and die'in by the time you get up to the top on the DF, I got a feeling it won't be easier on a R-Trike, unless you've got the "right gear range combo, front and rear". On my current EZ-1 SX and EZ-Sport, I kept the stock 52/42 but changed out the "30" small cassette cog for a "26 tooth" to make it easier to get up hills, (I would have gone lower but with the stock crankset and derailers, the LBS, advised against it.)

In the end I may end up, having to go to a "MTB" crankset/chainwheel set up (42/32/22) and not worry about carrying "top end speed", jmho, ymmv. Hope you get it all to work for you, then just ENJOY!

Old 02-11-11, 07:14 PM
biggieou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its definitely not the easiest for me to get up a hill, but I dont have to get off and push. I want to do alot of my riding on our local Hike and Bike and Towpath(flat), but I would also like to ride on the road(some small hills). I'm not as schooled into the terminology so the gear numbers ie 48/32/24 dont really click for me. I'm sure once I get more experience into riding it will make sense. Another thing that you can do from Utrikes is customize the bike while ordering: https://www.utahtrikes.com/CONFIGURE-TTROVER.html What if any of these options are worth considering?
Old 02-11-11, 07:47 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by biggieou
Its definitely not the easiest for me to get up a hill, but I dont have to get off and push. I want to do alot of my riding on our local Hike and Bike and Towpath(flat), but I would also like to ride on the road(some small hills). I'm not as schooled into the terminology so the gear numbers ie 48/32/24 dont really click for me. I'm sure once I get more experience into riding it will make sense. Another thing that you can do from Utrikes is customize the bike while ordering: https://www.utahtrikes.com/CONFIGURE-TTROVER.html What if any of these options are worth considering?
Most of those items are "accessiory" items that if you don't have the "cash", you can add later. Now, IF I decide to use the TT Rover with the STOCK "8 Speed" Internal drive rear hub, then the (VERY expensive) Schlumph High Speed Drive in the lower range (27/67.5), would for ME be a MUST HAVE, to pull my utility trailer up hills.

I THINK it would be less expensive to get the "24 Speed Conversion" and see if you could get a 26-24 tooth small chainwheel (front) and a 12-34 Rear Cassette (cogs) put on from Utah Trikes, it seems to me that would cover a LOT of different types of terrain, jmho, ymmv. I'm pretty much a newbie myself to recumbents so hopefully the :old time trikers" will give you even better opinons than I, (notice I didn't say advise, all this is just my opinion)

On the accessiories, I would want the "rear rack", a cheap "rack bag", full fender set, lumbar pad for seat, mirror, headlight, ect. so LOL, I'd be adding up quick, especially when I'd want the "24 Speed Conversion" too! SIGH, it's a bummer to be "budget limited", that's why I started with a "Sun EZ-1 SX", the cheapest "NEW" recumbent on the market! I love 95% about the EZ-1 but felt a bit, "cramped up" in the cockpit. We got real lucky got a bit more from the Tax Refund than expected so I SOLD our DF Hybrids and now have the "Sun EZ-Sport AX (20/26 combo) and I'm LOVE'IN IT!! The wife rides EZ-1 SX, she's 5' 0" with a 26in. inseam/35 X-seam so it fits her. We switched to a MTB crankset (LOW gears so she could get up hill easily 42/32/22), of course she's "SLOW" on top speed but for us that was only a problem when we rode with the local "cycling club", which we gave up and now are quite happy with our recumbents.

Oh to stay on topic: IF money were not an object, I'd have a "Rans Trizard Delta Trike" over any tadpole as I just REALLY like the LOOKS and build of the Rans Delta over any tadpole. Now reality, if I decided to go trike in a couple of years, it will be a Sun T3 CX Tadpole, TT Rover with 24 speed conversion or TT Cruiser.

Last edited by bjjoondo; 02-11-11 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 05:24 PM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
My Catrike Trail with a Scram DualDrive........and the E-BOB with a crystalyte front hub and a 36V lithium-Ion batt.....Sweet Ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jun 11 Alouette 002.jpg (98.0 KB, 28 views)
Dec 27 2010 005.jpg (104.2 KB, 28 views)
Jan 9 2011 004.jpg (96.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-13-11, 05:55 PM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a TT Rover, but I do have a TT Cruiser (tadpole) and a Sun EZ3-USX (delta). I'm headed out to Ashley, Ohio (Buckeye Dulcimer Festival) by way of Wheeling, WV and Columbus, OH on March 9th and returning March 13th. If you'd care to test out either, I'm sure I could find room on the roof of the car for one.

Judy
Old 02-14-11, 11:29 AM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trikin'
crystalyte front hub and a 36V lithium-Ion batt....
My EZ-Tad looks rather goofy to me now "naked", but it still has an Electric Sierra hub motor (36V), the hard shell seat, and the huge 72 tooth chain ring in front. It was very low with doors, windows, convertible top (off in avatar) but not anymore. It oscillates right and left a lot with less weight but what a blast going uphill- a "sleeper"!
Old 02-14-11, 06:43 PM
biggieou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Judy,
Thanks for the offer, but I've had to cool my jets with looking at a new bike. The funds dont support my enthusiasm right now, haha. Oh well maybe in the near future...
Old 02-15-11, 10:02 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The offer still stands. I'll probably have Ghidrah, the TerrorTrike with me on the trip...
Old 02-15-11, 08:12 PM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Sun EZ-TAD CX tadpole trike. I used to have a Sun EZ-3, but I broke the frame in the rear so I gave it to a friend who said he was going to use it to learn how to weld. The tadpole is MUCH more fun! I love to haul ass around corners. It's even more fun when the wheels break traction slightly and I fishtail Climbing is slower and more painful than on a road bike, but it's better than climbing on the EZ-3. Ugh!
Old 02-16-11, 08:33 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill
I have a Sun EZ-TADPOLE CX tadpole trike. I used to have a Sun EZ-3, but I broke the frame in the rear so I gave it to a friend who said he was going to use it to learn how to weld. The tadpole is MUCH more fun! I love to haul ass around corners. It's even more fun when the wheels break traction slightly and I fishtail Climbing is slower and more painful than on a road bike, but it's better than climbing on the EZ-3. Ugh!
Just a clarifacation pls., The Sun EZ-3 Tadpole SX, that is currently showing on the SUN website is "Hi-Tensil" steel, were the "CX" usually means, "Chrome Molly Steel". So do you have the EZ-3 Tad SX or do you have the, T3 CX Tad, which is the "more performance" Sun tadpole trike line, (CX=Chro Mo and AX=Alumn.). This is one of the "TADS", we are looking at for the wife in future, so I was a bit confused when you said the EZ-Tad was "CX", thanks.

Last edited by bjjoondo; 02-16-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 10:45 AM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Just a clarifacation pls., The Sun EZ-3 Tadpole SX, that is currently showing on the SUN website is "Hi-Tensil" steel, were the "CX" usually means, "Chrome Molly Steel". So do you have the EZ-3 Tad SX or do you have the, T3 CX Tad, which is the "more performance" Sun tadpole trike line, (CX=Chro Mo and AX=Alumn.). This is one of the "TADS", we are looking at for the wife in future, so I was a bit confused when you said the EZ-Tad was "CX", thanks.
Mine is an EZ-TAD CX. I don't know how old it is. I bought it used last May and it was in excellent condition with very low miles.

EDIT: Picture is in this thread

Last edited by freighttraininguphill; 02-17-11 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-18-11, 05:46 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill
Mine is an EZ-TAD CX. I don't know how old it is. I bought it used last May and it was in excellent condition with very low miles.

EDIT: Picture is in this thread
Thanks, I guess before the newer T-3 CX and T-3 AX Tad's came out the EZ-3 Tad was made in both SX (high tensil steel) and CX (Chrome Molly Steel) so that's why the confusion. The "price" on the EZ-3 Tad is a lot "LESS" than the T-3's for sure, looks like a good, solid machine, ENJOY!

Old 02-21-11, 10:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Tadpole.

Delta.

I'm not sure I see one design or the other winning out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.