Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You will all covet the latest Taos07 acquisistion.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You will all covet the latest Taos07 acquisistion.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 06:37 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by taos07
Not much ruing going on in here.
Lots of coveting though, but not for the bike.
Old 04-19-11, 06:38 PM
taos07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to find a more ghetto forum.
Old 04-19-11, 06:42 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
Viking's are okay. My guy designed the first one. He was working for US Stoves making restaurant ranges, this Mississippi contractor put out feelers for a home-range with restaurant feel for his wife, and my guy did it. Back then, 15 K btu. Now Viking 18k. My guy, Surgit, has bumped heat to 23k. The best for residential-code available (but inductions are better for heating water, really efficient). Still 23k is not really serious heat though. The insurance industry met Betty Corcker, and they screwed home cooking. "Stop home kitchen fires!" They did that. Also ruined home cooking.

Good vids here https://capital-culinarian.com/Eurost...e/Welcome.html

The big oven is good, with a rotisserie. Mostly I use wolf electric double ovens. You can do beef jerky drying with 130F convection, also "dry sous vide". I really should have specified on our kitchen remodel a wood-fired oven. Something that could go really hot.

It's not totally different from bike designs. "No recumbents, they are too fast on the flats." Maybe open designs would have given us faster bikes. I think they would have.
Double ovens as on the 60" range?

Do they take full-sized commercial sheet pans? When we were remodeling our kitchen about 10 years ago, we went with a 48" Dacor range because we found that only the 48" ranges had residential ovens that could take a full-sized commerical sheet pan. We liked that the Dacor had 6 LARGE burners and no griddle or grill.
Old 04-19-11, 07:22 PM
bike_boy
Lula Mae = 15 lbs.

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red 22

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn's front skewer lever appears to be on wrong side...reinstall with it on left side.

Last edited by bike_boy; 04-19-11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 08:02 PM
taos07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why the left side?

Originally Posted by bike_boy
Schwinn's front skewer lever appears to be on wrong side...reinstall with it on left side.
Old 04-19-11, 08:45 PM
flippin_bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why the left side?
Let me school you on a bit of cycling history...

Tulio Campagnolo invented the quick release skewer. Tulio also studied bio-mechanics of the human body and already knew that the right side of the average human was .00347% heavier than the left side (this is the same reason most humans have a slightly larger right foot than left foot). By keeping the heavier end of the skewer on the left side of the bike, it cancels out much of this imbalance. This right side imbalance is also the reason velodromes are ridden counter-clockwise. If you ran clockwise such that the heavy side of the body was on the down sloping side of the track, it would be virtually impossible to ride on such a steep and high bank.
Old 04-19-11, 08:58 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flippin_bikes

Tulio Campagnolo invented the quick release skewer. Tulio also studied bio-mechanics of the human body and already knew that the right side of the average human was .00347% heavier than the left side (this is the same reason most humans have a slightly larger right foot than left foot). By keeping the heavier end of the skewer on the left side of the bike, it cancels out much of this imbalance. This right side imbalance is also the reason velodromes are ridden counter-clockwise. If you ran clockwise such that the heavy side of the body was on the down sloping side of the track, it would be virtually impossible to ride on such a steep and high bank.
Must be why I tend to crash on right turns.
Old 04-19-11, 09:12 PM
flippin_bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Must be why I tend to crash on right turns.
Let me turn off my B.S. for a minute because that actually makes me think seriously about this.

Most people are right handed, correct? Right-handed people tend to favor their right side, including stepping off on the right foot. I do find it much easier to turn left and do so at a higher rate of speed. When you turn, assuming you stop pedaling, you tend to put more weight on the right side crank arm which helps keep the bike planted. I supposed it is possible those who are right handed would tend to put less pressure on the left crank while making a right turn. Hmm, such thought provoking stuff.
Old 04-19-11, 09:24 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me turn off my B.S. for a minute because that actually makes me think seriously about this.

Most people are right handed, correct? Right-handed people tend to favor their right side, including stepping off on the right foot. I do find it much easier to turn left and do so at a higher rate of speed. When you turn, assuming you stop pedaling, you tend to put more weight on the right side crank arm which helps keep the bike planted. I supposed it is possible those who are right handed would tend to put less pressure on the left crank while making a right turn. Hmm, such thought provoking stuff.
Fascinating!
Old 04-19-11, 09:55 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being right-handed I tend to feel more confident planting the right foot (i.e. pedal down) and carving a left turn than I do planting the left and turning right. Of course, in the US a left turns tend to be wider and easier to take at higher speeds than a right but even on the MUP where this matters less I still like left turns better. Perhaps the ambidextrous could chime in and tell us they go both ways.
Old 04-20-11, 04:50 AM
Hulley

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread gets more and more interesting....
Old 04-20-11, 05:47 AM
taos07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone think it might make sense to put the wheels on the white bike on the Schwinng?
Old 04-20-11, 06:21 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I need to find a more ghetto forum.
Commuting forum. The responses there would be totally different.
Old 04-20-11, 06:27 AM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tulio Campagnolo invented the quick release skewer. Tulio also studied bio-mechanics of the human body and already knew that the right side of the average human was .00347% heavier than the left side.
That's all fine and dandy but did he know anything about stoves. Please try to stay on topic here.
Old 04-20-11, 03:50 PM
taos07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So if I leave it in the right side, I will only be able to ride in circles?

Old 04-20-11, 06:35 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So if I leave it in the right side, I will only be able to ride in circles?
Well, you could put fishing weights in your left pocket or something but otherwise, yeah. Just plan routes with only right turns.
Old 04-20-11, 07:34 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Capital 30 in side oven (48 in range) is wide enough for commercial sheet pans. The dual oven 30 + 18 is similar to Dacor (large ovens both 4.6 cu ft). Wolf 30's are slightly narrower, a bit taller. I have tested them all using an oven thermometer, you get temp variations, even with Wolf digital controls.

Dacor 48 with 6 burners has wider grates, but burners are circular, so I think square 12 x 12 in grates can do the same cooking. Except Capital's 23k burners beat Dacor's 18k. Not restaurant grade by any means, but for meeting residential building/fire codes, it's the top one out there.

I went with a 48 in range, and 3 full ovens overall, plus a "baby" oven to allow us to do holiday cooking with 3-4 "chefs" having implements and space to work on their stuff simultaneously. We changed from an old Thermador 30 in electric element range with 2 big, 2 small burners and 2 ovens, people waiting their turn, having to reheat their dishes, and feeling they didn't get their best results. Now they have no excuses!
Old 04-20-11, 07:58 PM
Eclectus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tulio was a genius. He's been dead for 30 years. I think SRAM guys are pretty-darned-close-to-worthy innovation-minded successors. (I rode first-model 1962 Record back in the old days. It was amazing, relative to everything else available in the early 60s.)

All the mfrs make great stuff today. You're paying for brainpower in ideas and mfring materials and processes, and skill in mfring execution. They all have quite smooth shifting. If you like thumb "upshifts" (originally Shimano's idea for MTBs), go with Campy. Use the brake lever for "upshifts", go with Shimano's mechanical systems. Want to use only a single shift lever for all shifts, SRAM. Electronic, Shimano, is the only mfr offering this at the current time. Other mfrs are studying whether this is something they want to invest in. They may or may decline. Bicycling isn't like driving a car, it's for exercising your muscles, not for making it possible for you to cellphone/text, drink your coffee/eat a fast-food-lunch and get somewhere simultaneously.
Old 04-20-11, 08:17 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tulio was a genius. He's been dead for 30 years. I think SRAM guys are pretty-darned-close-to-worthy innovation-minded successors. (I rode first-model 1962 Record back in the old days. It was amazing, relative to everything else available in the early 60s.)

All the mfrs make great stuff today. You're paying for brainpower in ideas and mfring materials and processes, and skill in mfring execution. They all have quite smooth shifting. If you like thumb "upshifts" (originally Shimano's idea for MTBs), go with Campy. Use the brake lever for "upshifts", go with Shimano's mechanical systems. Want to use only a single shift lever for all shifts, SRAM. Electronic, Shimano, is the only mfr offering this at the current time. Other mfrs are studying whether this is something they want to invest in. They may or may decline. Bicycling isn't like driving a car, it's for exercising your muscles, not for making it possible for you to cellphone/text, drink your coffee/eat a fast-food-lunch and get somewhere simultaneously.
Campy is quite a bit further along than that. They tested a ten speed system years ago and they have pros riding 11 speed electronic systems now.
Old 04-20-11, 10:49 PM
Eclectus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So they're trying to to one-up Shimano by a gear. That's good. Next-logical step evolution. No genius new breakthrough idea.
Old 04-21-11, 05:27 AM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So they're trying to to one-up Shimano by a gear. That's good. Next-logical step evolution. No genius new breakthrough idea.
Not what I'm saying. Campagnolo has been working on electronic shifting for nearly a decade and had it nearly ready to market a few years ago. At the same time, they were perfecting mechanical 11 speed and the economy tanked. So they shelved the 10 speed electronic group and released the 11 speed mechanical groups. Now the 11 speed electronic group is again nearly ready and is being tested by pro riders. So, the point is that electronic shifting is not something that Campy is "studying whether [it] is something they want to invest in." They've already placed that bet. And they are not "trying to one-up Shimano by a gear", they've done it.
Old 04-21-11, 09:56 AM
taos07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, Campy is going to release something kind of like Di2 then?

Originally Posted by halfspeed
Not what I'm saying. Campagnolo has been working on electronic shifting for nearly a decade and had it nearly ready to market a few years ago. At the same time, they were perfecting mechanical 11 speed and the economy tanked. So they shelved the 10 speed electronic group and released the 11 speed mechanical groups. Now the 11 speed electronic group is again nearly ready and is being tested by pro riders. So, the point is that electronic shifting is not something that Campy is "studying whether [it] is something they want to invest in." They've already placed that bet. And they are not "trying to one-up Shimano by a gear", they've done it.
Old 04-21-11, 10:05 AM
Sanman023

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no...the economy is going to double dip and they are going to release a 12 speed instead....
Old 04-21-11, 01:18 PM
Eclectus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see if the Campy electronic 11 goes on public sale later this year. Lots of room for evolution, like do you want it to shift automatically to maintain some crank-rpm range?
Old 04-21-11, 01:23 PM
Spacemunky
Banned

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito, Bianchi Via Nirone, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[IMG]********************************data/media/2/shakes_no.gif[/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.