Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP-6'-1" , 33 inseam..MADONE fit question..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

PLEASE HELP-6'-1" , 33 inseam..MADONE fit question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 07:48 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I struggle with reach so although im 6"3 I fit better on the 58 however i need the seat on the limit and still need a 100mm stem. I didnt go with Trek as I couldnt really get a good fit at the time i was looking, went with Colnago instead as the reach is shorter
Old 12-23-11, 05:42 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vuduchyld5
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I am 33yrs old and as of right now I average about 25 miles a day- Just recreational and fitness. Trying to get in shape to join some local century rides by fall. Not sure what you mean by "body type"..but I guess athletic would be the best description...I weigh about 215lbs...semi long torso as opposed to leg length I guess...Not looking to get into racing or anything but I do enjoy the average fast sprint and descent here and there.
You can ride either bike. H2 geometry gives you a decent length head tube. You do not have long legs so that with the H2 geometry helps with drop. As a newbie you probably don't like to ride too stretched out so the 58 will work for you. Many your size would choose a 60 however...because you do have a long enough torso to deal with the top tube length. Its a jump ball really. If you can stand comfortably over the 60 then it would give you less drop and likely be more comfortable with one size shorter stem then the 58.
Honestly, this will come down to personal choice. Try to find a dealer and ride both. For me, I would only buy a Madone with H3 geometry. Even though we are the same height, I am all legs. So a H3 fits me like a H2 fits you. I could ride either size.
Old 12-23-11, 05:47 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lazerzxr
I struggle with reach so although im 6"3 I fit better on the 58 however i need the seat on the limit and still need a 100mm stem. I didnt go with Trek as I couldnt really get a good fit at the time i was looking, went with Colnago instead as the reach is shorter
You bought into a false economy of fit by sizing down at your height. The head tube is shorter on a 58 which puts you farther from the handlebars. Reach is comprised of both vertical (head tube) and horizontal (top tube) with almost equal contribution to net reach. So in effect you are riding with a suitable reach...albeit one with your arms more vertical to the hoods...not good for either comfort or power...and...a lot of drop which isn't very comfortable for many. You should be on at least a 60 if not 62 for a better 'balance of reach' with less drop.

Last edited by Campag4life; 12-23-11 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-23-11, 11:07 AM
vuduchyld5

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
You can ride either bike. H2 geometry gives you a decent length head tube. You do not have long legs so that with the H2 geometry helps with drop. As a newbie you probably don't like to ride too stretched out so the 58 will work for you. Many your size would choose a 60 however...because you do have a long enough torso to deal with the top tube length. Its a jump ball really. If you can stand comfortably over the 60 then it would give you less drop and likely be more comfortable with one size shorter stem then the 58.
Honestly, this will come down to personal choice. Try to find a dealer and ride both. For me, I would only buy a Madone with H3 geometry. Even though we are the same height, I am all legs. So a H3 fits me like a H2 fits you. I could ride either size.
Hey there- I think you may have missed some of the threads...I was fitted at 3 different places after the fact for a 56cm. It will probably be here today and the 60cm is traded for it. I talked myself into thinking he 60 was right because I didn't want to hassle the bike shop with a return so long after the purchase. I felt much more comfortable on the 56 with a 100mm stem and cannot wait to do a long ride on it. Perfect.
Old 12-23-11, 03:52 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6"1" and 33 inseam. I ride a 56 madone with 20 mm of spacers, the longer seatpost cap with 20mm offset, 44cm bars, 120stem with a 6 degree flipped. My Crit bike is a 56 CAAD9 measured the same, My cyclocross bike is a Gary Fisher Presidio 55cm with a 120 stem, my other cross bike is a 54 Super X with a 120 stem, I have a Lemond Zurich spine bike that is 57 with a 110 stem (the bike feels freaking huge).

Saddle height is 77cm from center of spindle on crank to top of saddle on all bikes. I was fitted to that Madone. The 58 madone didn't give me enough bar drop and I race that bike.

a 60cm Madone is freaking huge! I would have to run like a 90-100 stem and a zero setback seatpost and the bar drop would be almost zero. 58 madone would be like a 5mm setback with 100-110 stem. Still a BIG bike for me.

Hello knowledgeable folks...I am sure this topic has been brought up a million times on here but I am a newbie to this forum so here goes...I just purchased a 2011 Trek Madone- I am 6'-1" tall with a true inseam of 33in. The bike fit is H2. I have been to numerous websites with fitting charts and calculators most of which recommended either a 58cm frame and some 60cm. My LBS owner ultimately urged me to get a 60cm as well so that is what I ordered. My question is this...Is it better to have the 60cm frame with a slightly lower saddle and shorter stem, or the 58cm frame with the higher saddle and longer stem? To be honest, aesthetically I like the look of the latter, but in the big scope of things comfort on long rides and functionality is most important. Any advantages or disadvantages to having the 60cm for my body type? Any input, opinions, or experience would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-23-11, 04:26 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick
6"1" and 33 inseam. I ride a 56 madone with 20 mm of spacers, the longer seatpost cap with 20mm offset, 44cm bars, 120stem with a 6 degree flipped. My Crit bike is a 56 CAAD9 measured the same, My cyclocross bike is a Gary Fisher Presidio 55cm with a 120 stem, my other cross bike is a 54 Super X with a 120 stem, I have a Lemond Zurich spine bike that is 57 with a 110 stem (the bike feels freaking huge).

Saddle height is 77cm from center of spindle on crank to top of saddle on all bikes. I was fitted to that Madone. The 58 madone didn't give me enough bar drop and I race that bike.

a 60cm Madone is freaking huge! I would have to run like a 90-100 stem and a zero setback seatpost and the bar drop would be almost zero. 58 madone would be like a 5mm setback with 100-110 stem. Still a BIG bike for me.
You are a racer Rutnik and have to be running a pretty substantial drop on a 56. You are 3" taller with an inch longer inseam than the greatest modern TdF champion and yet you ride one bike size smaller on the same brand of bike. Lance is on a 58 and you are fair amount bigger than he is.

Last edited by Campag4life; 12-24-11 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-23-11, 06:15 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And? I was fitted by someone I trust. Did a fitment of a 56 and 58

You are a racer Rutnik and have to be running a pretty substantial drop on a 56. You are 3" taller with an inch longer inseam than the greater modern TdF champion and yet you ride one bike size smaller on the same brand of bike. Lance is on a 58 and you are fair amount bigger than he is.
Old 12-23-11, 07:26 PM
vuduchyld5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EXACTLY Rutnick! I had a 100 mm stem on the 60, with zero seatpost setback...and you are right..THE FRAME WAS WAY TOO HUGE! I agree with everything you said...My LBS owner told me he had to see it for himself when I told him I fitted elsewhere for the 56cm....Right when I got on the bike in front of him he was like..."Man....that's the ticket"...And that was that. 56cm ordered...Can't wait to ride take it on a nice looooong ride!!!!

Last edited by vuduchyld5; 12-23-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-23-11, 07:56 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i would like to see pictures if possible. i am 6'1" with a 34in inseam, my bikes geomatry is close to an h2 60cm, and i feel right at home on it with a 110mm stem, 3mm spacer, and a setback post.
Old 12-23-11, 07:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i would like to see pictures if possible. i am 6'1" with a 34in inseam, my bikes geomatry is close to an h2 60cm, and i feel right at home on it with a 110mm stem and a setback post.
Me too. 6Ft 34 ins, ride a 60 with 120 stem...Perfect.

Old 12-23-11, 08:00 PM
vuduchyld5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thirdgenbird...You must have semi long arms? I will try to post some pics once the bike arrives..I was hoping it would be here today but the holidays have slowed things up it seems. Hopefully Monday.
i would like to see pictures if possible. i am 6'1" with a 34in inseam, my bikes geomatry is close to an h2 60cm, and i feel right at home on it with a 110mm stem, 3mm spacer, and a setback post.
Old 12-23-11, 08:11 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Me too. 6Ft 34 ins, ride a 60 with 120 stem...Perfect.
ive debated a 120mm stem as well

Hey thirdgenbird...You must have semi long arms? I will try to post some pics once the bike arrives..I was hoping it would be here today but the holidays have slowed things up it seems. Hopefully Monday.
semi long i guess. i wouldnt say really long but they sure are not short.
Old 12-23-11, 09:05 PM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello knowledgeable folks...I am sure this topic has been brought up a million times on here but I am a newbie to this forum so here goes...I just purchased a 2011 Trek Madone- I am 6'-1" tall with a true inseam of 33in. The bike fit is H2. I have been to numerous websites with fitting charts and calculators most of which recommended either a 58cm frame and some 60cm. My LBS owner ultimately urged me to get a 60cm as well so that is what I ordered. My question is this...Is it better to have the 60cm frame with a slightly lower saddle and shorter stem, or the 58cm frame with the higher saddle and longer stem? To be honest, aesthetically I like the look of the latter, but in the big scope of things comfort on long rides and functionality is most important. Any advantages or disadvantages to having the 60cm for my body type? Any input, opinions, or experience would be very much appreciated.
I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam. I have a 2011 Madone 6.9 60cm H2.
Old 12-23-11, 09:52 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the subject of bicycle fit to be a source of endless fascination. Nothing exemplifies the old saying "everbody's different" quite as well. There are just so many variables to take into account: body dimensions, the geometry of the bike, the age of the rider, the type of riding he wants to do, etc.

My story is the exact opposite of the original poster. He ended up going down two frame sizes; I ended up going up two frame sizes.

Long story short: I am an older rider (just turned 55) who hadn't ridden in 35+ years when I bought a new road bike in April of this year. I am 5'9" tall and have a pants inseam of 30". I ended up buying a bike with a 52 cm frame from a bike shop which is "race oriented." Although I went on several test rides with the bike before buying it, I had not ridden for so long that I really didn't know what to look for and I really couldn't process what my body was telling me.

The bike was OK for the first few months because my rides weren't all that long. But as soon as I started increasing the length of my rides I started having problems with debilitating numbness of the hands. The bottom line: the bike was simply too small for me--the saddle-to-bars drop was too long.

To make a real long story short: I ended up buying a 56 cm Trek Pilot 5.9 frame from another bike shop and they swapped the components from my first bike. The Trek Pilot was the predecessor of the current H3 (tall headtube) geometry Trek bikes. I am much happier on the 56 cm frame and the new frame has virtually eliminated the hand numbness I was experiencing.

I will attach the fit analysis I had done using the calculator on the Competitive Cyclist Web site. As you can see, I went with the more upright "French Fit." I am interested solely in recreational and fitness riding.

I just find it interesting that the OP went down two frame sizes, while I went up two frame sizes. We both ended up on 56 cm bikes, though we are quite different in height. As I said, everbody's different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike_Fit_Analysis.jpg (98.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-23-11, 10:11 PM
vuduchyld5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting- Thanks for the post. I went to 3 different online sources and calculators as well when I started questioning the fit of the 60..They all had "57" cm for my build..and it seems most folks agree if you are in between sizes it is best to go down a size. Honestly a 56cm bike frame never once came into my mind when getting serious about cycling. I thought 58 was gonna suit me. I just hope it is still as comfortable to me after about a 50 mile ride :-/.
Originally Posted by Banded Krait
I find the subject of bicycle fit to be a source of endless fascination. Nothing exemplifies the old saying "everbody's different" quite as well. There are just so many variables to take into account: body dimensions, the geometry of the bike, the age of the rider, the type of riding he wants to do, etc.

My story is the exact opposite of the original poster. He ended up going down two frame sizes; I ended up going up two frame sizes.

Long story short: I am an older rider (just turned 55) who hadn't ridden in 35+ years when I bought a new road bike in April of this year. I am 5'9" tall and have a pants inseam of 30". I ended up buying a bike with a 52 cm frame from a bike shop which is "race oriented." Although I went on several test rides with the bike before buying it, I had not ridden for so long that I really didn't know what to look for and I really couldn't process what my body was telling me.

The bike was OK for the first few months because my rides weren't all that long. But as soon as I started increasing the length of my rides I started having problems with debilitating numbness of the hands. The bottom line: the bike was simply too small for me--the saddle-to-bars drop was too long.

To make a real long story short: I ended up buying a 56 cm Trek Pilot 5.9 frame from another bike shop and they swapped the components from my first bike. The Trek Pilot was the predecessor of the current H3 (tall headtube) geometry Trek bikes. I am much happier on the 56 cm frame and the new frame has virtually eliminated the hand numbness I was experiencing.

I will attach the fit analysis I had done using the calculator on the Competitive Cyclist Web site. As you can see, I went with the more upright "French Fit." I am interested solely in recreational and fitness riding.

I just find it interesting that the OP went down two frame sizes, while I went up two frame sizes. We both ended up on 56 cm bikes, though we are quite different in height. As I said, everbody's different.
Old 12-23-11, 10:47 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I am the same 6'-1" ,33 inseam. I have been fitted on a 58 litespeed, and also own a 58cm madone. A 58 cm tcr. And a 58 cm orbea team bike.
recently I was at a friends shop and sat on a litespeed ultimate that he has for sale used. I rode it around the shop, then took it outside, around the block. what a nice fitting bike. To my horror I found it was a 56. It really had me thinking for a while. But, in the end its the fit that counts, all bikes are adjustable within a few cm either way. diffrent length stem, a different set back seat post. It can be made to work.

but my next bike is going to be a bit of a problem now. good thing I have a couple to hold me over.
Old 12-24-11, 07:37 AM
vuduchyld5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
what a nice fitting bike. To my horror I found it was a 56.
Hey there ls01! Thank you for the input. My question is this...Why was it to your "horror"? Did it make you wish you had considered 56cm on your previous bikes?
Old 12-24-11, 07:50 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
It did make me consider my fit on my bikes, and get my ocd cranked up pretty high. But in the end its 2 cm and can be compensated for with the stem and seat post.
But, future purchases are going to require more thought, and test riding.
Old 12-24-11, 10:22 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/art...news%2Farticle

and Hincappie runs a 57 ETT bike and is 6'3".

Look at Ryan Trebon's X bike sometime. He's huge and his bike is at least 2-3 sizes smaller than what you would think (and I doubt many make a carbon bike big enough for him).

So what if Lance runs a bigger bike. He's stubborn and hates change. He runs his levers high on the bar and with a 120mm stem. He's really stretched out on the bike. He refuses to change about anything on his bike from a position standpoint. I went down a size and this year after years of riding 57-58 bikes and like it. It suites me. When I was changing, I had a fitment done on both bikes (58 madone and 56 madone) and the 56 madone made the most sense.

You are a racer Rutnik and have to be running a pretty substantial drop on a 56. You are 3" taller with an inch longer inseam than the greatest modern TdF champion and yet you ride one bike size smaller on the same brand of bike. Lance is on a 58 and you are fair amount bigger than he is.
Old 12-24-11, 10:58 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/art...news%2Farticle

and Hincappie runs a 57 ETT bike and is 6'3".
that is a little deceiving. that bike has a 190mm head tube, several spacers under the stem, a 140mm stem, 175mm crank arms, and a seatpost cradle that was cut and extended to provide more setback. judging from some other things i have read and comparing it to my own bike i would guess that he is 6'3" but has the inseam of someone closer to 6'.

i dont know the size but it looks as if his old oclv was much larger and had a more traditional fit:

if i had to guess i would say this is somewhere around a 60cm frame but it has a relatively low post, no spacers, and a very long stem. more evidence that his legs are short for his height.
Old 12-24-11, 11:18 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rut, as 3rd gen said...Hincappie has long arms and needs the drop and 190mm head tube works for him. His seatpost is custom with massive set back to accomodate his long body. But yeah...you are really only running one size down for your body which is fine if you like it. Wouldn't suit me but you have shorter legs than I do even tho we are the same height. Your net reach is the same as it would be on a 58...you just have a greater ratio of drop to horizontal distance from saddle to bars. I subscribe to the LA school of fit for both road and mtb...out and not much down. Reach is the same whichever you choose...or close...some guys like their arms more under them. I can generate more power with my handlebar a bit more out in front...especially out of the saddle and in the drops.

Last edited by Campag4life; 12-24-11 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-24-11, 11:21 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hinncappie runs 80cm from center of BB to top of seatpost. That's 3cm more than me and I'm 6'1". That's a full 1"+ more than me.

]
that is a little deceiving. that bike has a 190mm head tube, several spacers under the stem, a 140mm stem, 175mm crank arms, and a seatpost cradle that was cut and extended to provide more setback. judging from some other things i have read and comparing it to my own bike i would guess that he is 6'3" but has the inseam of someone closer to 6'.

i dont know the size but it looks as if his old oclv was much larger and had a more traditional fit:

if i had to guess i would say this is somewhere around a 60cm frame but it has a relatively low post, no spacers, and a very long stem. more evidence that his legs are short for his height.
Old 12-24-11, 11:41 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reach is the same whichever you choose...or close...some guys like their arms more under them. I can generate more power with my handlebar a bit more out in front...especially out of the saddle and in the drops.
i like climbing in the drops so i appreciate a long reach as well.

Hinncappie runs 80cm from center of BB to top of seatpost. That's 3cm more than me and I'm 6'1". That's a full 1"+ more than me.
what was your inseam? i am 6'1" and have a similar saddle height as hencapie. i should note however that i ride very toe down by nature. my saddle is probably ~1in high for my inseam but i have no hip rocking and if i lower my saddle my toes still point down.

sorta like this:
Old 12-24-11, 11:59 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
it should also be noted that things like saddle height are more subjective than most would lead you to believe. i believe lance armstong said that he lowered his saddle a full inch between tour wins.
Old 12-24-11, 12:10 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I'm 6'2" and run 80.7cm to the top of the seat. You and I are pretty close...unless you mean the seat rather than the seatpost. I'm pretty sure there's no standard on the distance from the seat rails to the top of the seat.

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.