Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help me love my Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help me love my Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 10:29 PM
zerogravity
Trek DS 8.4 Rider!

Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Igo
this guy is 6-4 and his seat is 1 foot lower than the handlebars. Give EVERYBODY here some credit. HAhAHAHhHAhaaa
Thankyou! =)
Old 03-26-12, 11:27 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Igo
That saddle will kill zombies. Plus, this guy is 6-4 and his seat is 1 foot lower than the handlebars. Give EVERYBODY here some credit. HAhAHAHhHAhaaa
That's irrelevant though, you can't tell if a seat is too low just by looking at the bike. And it's not even close to a foot below the bars BTW. I see plenty of people riding bikes with the seat below the bars. If the saddle is adjusted properly it just tells you the rider has shorter legs for their height. The OP still has plenty of downward adjustability with bar position. I stand by my position that nothing about those pictures screams the bike is too big or small.

Also, keep in mind it's an XL frame so it has a huge head tube on it (250mm or 10"). So that makes the bars look a lot higher than the smaller frames that other people keep posting.

Last edited by Dunbar; 03-26-12 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-28-12, 12:03 AM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
That's irrelevant though, you can't tell if a seat is too low just by looking at the bike. And it's not even close to a foot below the bars BTW. I see plenty of people riding bikes with the seat below the bars. If the saddle is adjusted properly it just tells you the rider has shorter legs for their height. The OP still has plenty of downward adjustability with bar position. I stand by my position that nothing about those pictures screams the bike is too big or small.

Also, keep in mind it's an XL frame so it has a huge head tube on it (250mm or 10"). So that makes the bars look a lot higher than the smaller frames that other people keep posting.
Unless the OP has a short torso and short arms, the APPEARANCE of the bike would leave him sitting VERY upright, sirrus' are upright as it is (compared to even my MTB...) They are, after all, a Performance hybrid/flat bar road bike, and should be a little more aero than what it looks.

Ditch the stupid noseless seat, get a 0 degree stem, or flip it, and get your bike fitted. Something is wrong, and if that seat height is proper, you have the wrong size frame, IMO (which might not be worth much )
Old 03-30-12, 04:42 PM
evand

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the sirrus got a little love today. I found some great tips on re adjusting disk brakes. I put my bike up on a stand the wheels were full of drag.
first I watched this. Now I get the basics behind the brakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUTC...eature=related
I gave them a good spray of brake cleaner. Auto residue free style then adjusted pulled the pads and went started fresh.

This adjustment alone looks like a huge advantage.

Now I am going to try this new seat out and make a few bike adjustments.

I am going to watch the john cobb series and make my own adjustments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQf...eature=related

The negative posts about the seat post were a little off. 1 the neckless is huge at least 2-3" taller than the stock seat. You do need a lower height for a neckless and I was not hugely off.
I like this bike. I am willing to spend a little money making it a pleasure to ride.

I am going out on a limb here but these guys are local to me and charging 275$ for a fitting which is what it in these you tube video's
I think with an avid cyclist friend a couple hour I should get close enough. https://www.fitwerx.com/fitting-services

Now I need to figure out what stem riser and necks work with the sirrus are they a generic or specific part?
Would parts like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-25-4mm-Ad...3147591&sr=1-4

Last edited by evand; 03-30-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-30-12, 05:59 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
OP, about that noseless saddle? And all the other cushy/squishy saddles that you've probably tried... That's why you are having a hard time getting comfortable while riding.

Those saddles that have a bunch of foam padding or gel in them are comfy when you sit on them at first. But the material compresses under your weight to a point. That stuff is molding itself to you and your nether regions, putting pressure on your privates.
Old 03-30-12, 06:54 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to beg you one last time; go to a local bike shop and pay them $50 to fit that bike to you.
Originally Posted by evand
Well the sirrus got a little love today. I found some great tips on re adjusting disk brakes. I put my bike up on a stand the wheels were full of drag.
first I watched this. Now I get the basics behind the brakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUTC...eature=related
I gave them a good spray of brake cleaner. Auto residue free style then adjusted pulled the pads and went started fresh.

This adjustment alone looks like a huge advantage.

Now I am going to try this new seat out and make a few bike adjustments.

I am going to watch the john cobb series and make my own adjustments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQf...eature=related

The negative posts about the seat post were a little off. 1 the neckless is huge at least 2-3" taller than the stock seat. You do need a lower height for a neckless and I was not hugely off.
I like this bike. I am willing to spend a little money making it a pleasure to ride.

I am going out on a limb here but these guys are local to me and charging 275$ for a fitting which is what it in these you tube video's
I think with an avid cyclist friend a couple hour I should get close enough. https://www.fitwerx.com/fitting-services

Now I need to figure out what stem riser and necks work with the sirrus are they a generic or specific part?
Would parts like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-25-4mm-Ad...3147591&sr=1-4
Old 03-30-12, 08:33 PM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is just plain unnecessary for your bike and the kind of riding you're interesting in doing. That would be like me taking my Scion to a mechanic that specializes in Italian luxury cars.

Like many other people have said numerous times on this thread--take it in to a local bike shop, explain the situation to them. Not sure why you seem to be so resistant to that, and I suppose it's your decision if you want to spend close to $300 for a service for performance and racing-related fitting (which, to be honest, the people going in there for probably don't need to do anyway) which you don't need.
Old 03-30-12, 09:20 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I am also 6'3", have a 34" pants inseam, and when measured in cycling terms end up being short legged and long torsoed for 6'3". This was my XL Sirrus set up as a single speed. Seat height is dictated by leg length, so since I am short legged for 6'3", this is a low seat height.

*** I hate mowing my grass / weeds ***

That Sirrus took me on many trips longer than 65 miles, and was never uncomfortable. Raise your seat until you can no longer pedal straight legged with your heels on the pedals without rocking your hips. If you set it at that height, you will have the proper bend when the balls of your feet are over the spindle.

Have you tried cycling shorts and a normal seat?
Old 03-30-12, 09:52 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
I am also 6'3", have a 34" pants inseam, and when measured in cycling terms end up being short legged and long torsoed for 6'3". This was my XL Sirrus set up as a single speed. Seat height is dictated by leg length, so since I am short legged for 6'3", this is a low seat height.

*** I hate mowing my grass / weeds ***

That Sirrus took me on many trips longer than 65 miles, and was never uncomfortable. Raise your seat until you can no longer pedal straight legged with your heels on the pedals without rocking your hips. If you set it at that height, you will have the proper bend when the balls of your feet are over the spindle.

Have you tried cycling shorts and a normal seat?
There ya go. Sounds right on on all accounts.
Old 03-31-12, 11:07 AM
evand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok looking better now. I am going to take it for a spin see how this seat does and make a few adjustments

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this seat is supposed to be pushed back looking
https://www.ismseat.com/sites/ismseat...-road-male.pdf
your missing the whole nose and the back is set back an additional 2"

Last edited by evand; 03-31-12 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-31-12, 12:42 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok looking better now. I am going to take it for a spin see how this seat does and make a few adjustments
That seat does look odd slid all the way back like that but I guess you can see how it rides. I would try lowering the bars next by removing all the spacers underneath the stem. If that improves comfort I would look into replacing the stem with something like RollCNY posted (7-10 degrees flipped down).
Old 03-31-12, 04:22 PM
evand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made a few more adjustments. The little guy and his two friends are very happy. I think this is a winner once I get it adjusted a little n=more nose down further back worked well.

I do wish they made a high tech updated version of this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks so comfy
Old 03-31-12, 05:30 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Glad the bike is working better for you evand. I had a bike similar to that. I had one of those lights, too.