Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a new bike CC touring machine needed

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Help me choose a new bike CC touring machine needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 12:24 PM
evand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's light credit card touring. The real weight is me the rider. I lift weights and am 6'2 built like a linebacker not a giant fat guy. A few extras and a change of clothing. Nothing else. Sporty, comfortable, dependable are the goals. Alum bikes are boring to my I have owned and own a few of them. I want to try something else. Steel looks like the winner here. I don't sit and stare at my bike but the 520 doesn't have any charm.

Please I hope 25mph was a typo for 15mph

Thank you for the Rainer and Jamis suggestions. I really enjoyed those and are adding them to the list.
Old 05-10-12, 12:31 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
evand​, you might have a look at the Raleigh Clubman. Nice steel bike, light tourer, you can put a rack on it, reasonably sporty ride...
Old 05-10-12, 12:33 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
light large diameter tubes. Lots of choices. You'll provide great draft for anyone riding with you. Check out Jack Brown Blue tires.

Last edited by LeeG; 05-10-12 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 04:43 PM
Joe Padilla

Bikes: Trek 520 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evand
It's light credit card touring. The real weight is me the rider. I lift weights and am 6'2 built like a linebacker not a giant fat guy. A few extras and a change of clothing. Nothing else. Sporty, comfortable, dependable are the goals. Alum bikes are boring to my I have owned and own a few of them. I want to try something else. Steel looks like the winner here. I don't sit and stare at my bike but the 520 doesn't have any charm.

Please I hope 25mph was a typo for 15mph

Thank you for the Rainer and Jamis suggestions. I really enjoyed those and are adding them to the list.
I can keep a 15 mph average fully loaded. Light touring sounds just right for you. Make sure to get a fancy bike you'll only ride a few times as well!
Old 05-10-12, 05:49 PM
evand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of what I am looking at are overly fancy bikes. Salsa, Surley and the Gunnar Frame build are all long term bikes and are going to come in at around the price point of a 520.

This bike has some charm to it. Thanks for the info I would have overlooked this model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RA12_Clubman_dkblue.jpg (64.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by evand; 05-10-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 07:29 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Co-Motion Cascadia is an excellent choice for what you are doing. Built up with Ultegra triple it's $3800. You can also order with S&S couplers if you'll be traveling with it, quick pay back on this with the cost airlines charge for bikes these days. Tell them what you weigh and they'll have the right wheels for you, they are pros at this stuff.

https://www.co-motion.com/index.php/singles/cascadia
Old 05-10-12, 08:08 PM
chris1548

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Gunnar Sport, Surly LHT, Gary Fisher Genesis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree about the bar-end shifters -- they're better than you think. Initially, when I first got them I had some questions too. But I found they actually work nicely and you get used to them QUICK. Also they're much more durable, which is nice on tours. I have both brifters and bar-ends, and I prefer bar-ends for touring, but like my Campy brifters on my road bikes. Touring is a much more relaxed enterprise and I actually prefer them for how they shift for that usage.

I see that you are thinking of credit card touring. Gunnar, for its quality, is an excellent choice. If you want disc brakes brakes the Fastlane would be a great choice. If you are okay without disc brakes, then I suggest you look at the Gunnar Sport. For what you describe, a bike that is "sporty, comfortable and dependable," you won't find a better option. Gunnar is as good a quality as you will get in a comfortable, modern, well-designed steel frame. And, of course, it works equally well with either type of shifter.

Good luck in your search! Enjoy it.
Old 05-10-12, 08:15 PM
Buddha4

Bikes: 12 Salsa Vaya 2/10 Specialized Rockhopper SL/08 Specialized Roubaix Elite/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Specialized Roubaix and a Salsa Vaya. I am 6'2 and was 230ish when I bought the Spec. I did notice a difference with better wheels. I commute MUP and gravel trail with the Salsa since it is capable of carrying panniers. cannot do that with the Roubaix. If you plan on putting luggage racks on then you will have a hard time find a carbon bike with that capability.
Old 05-12-12, 11:29 AM
evand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from the Harris Cyclery. I was completely impressed. So much better than any other LBS's that I have been to. They had custom Waterford's, Surleys about every popular model and size, Rivendell's and Gunnar's. They will toss pedals and let you test any one of them too. I am now 100% set on steel. I tested a cross check. What a great bike I am adding that to my list. I was surprised it rode so nice. I never going to get used to bar end shifters around as many hills I drive up and down. I am still keeping an eye out for a Salsa to test drive. I think the Salsa or Gunnar are gonna end up my final choice. I can't get that cross check outta my head just needs a set of STI's
Old 05-12-12, 01:01 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by evand
I just got back from the Harris Cyclery. I was completely impressed. So much better than any other LBS's that I have been to. They had custom Waterford's, Surleys about every popular model and size, Rivendell's and Gunnar's. They will toss pedals and let you test any one of them too. I am now 100% set on steel. I tested a cross check. What a great bike I am adding that to my list. I was surprised it rode so nice. I never going to get used to bar end shifters around as many hills I drive up and down. I am still keeping an eye out for a Salsa to test drive. I think the Salsa or Gunnar are gonna end up my final choice. I can't get that cross check outta my head just needs a set of STI's
The Salsa Casseroll is a cross check with STI shifters, which was your top choice. Very nice bike indeed.