Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Locks and security

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Locks and security

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 03:04 PM
Newspaperguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Locks and security

What measures do you take to keep your bike secure?

In the past, I have used a cable and padlock on a cheap bike or a Kryptonite D-ring lock on my good bike. I also will leave my good bike parked in my office if I'm downtown. What methods work for you?
Old 03-03-13, 03:21 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been using combination cable locks (no padlack..) exclusively. In winter a pretty thin one as the cold air makes them less flexible. Bikes stolen == 0. Hope this confession doesn't jinx me.
Old 03-03-13, 03:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
When I am at work I bring my bike inside the buildying. There is a storage/utility room in my work area. I keep my bike in there during work hours....When I go shopping, run errands, go to the movies, and other places I always lock my bike with a heavy Krypto U lock long shackle (yellow one). I lock the frame/rear wheel together to a solid object...Sometimes I also lock the front wheel with a cable or chain if the bike is outside for a long time... I also use nutted axles instead of quick release. My seat/post is secured with a piece of an old bike chain. My bikes are all dark/black colours and they look scruffy and well used so as not to attract too much attention.
Old 03-03-13, 05:56 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Thick 6 ft. cable with a large, (heavy) master lock pad lock. Still I usually won't leave the bike, if I "can't SEE it"!! My wife and I take turns guarding the bikes, even when we hook up the utility trailer for a food/supply run. The wife goes in a shops, I haul a "lightweight folding chair" and sit by the "cable locked bike and trailer" (2 locks) and give a EVIL scowl to ANYBODY who comes near the bikes! U-locks weigh a LOT so I'd prefer not use them but I might get a "mini-u" for additional covereage one day. Although my bikes are nice looking, with the "Trekking bars, fenders, etc. most folks don't want that kinda bike as it seems odd, LOL!

Old 03-03-13, 06:51 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Thick 6 ft. cable with a large, (heavy) master lock pad lock. Still I usually won't leave the bike, if I "can't SEE it"!! ....
The wife goes in a shops, I haul a "lightweight folding chair" and sit by the "cable locked bike and trailer"
Sounds like a great way to get out of doing the shopping.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-03-13, 08:28 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I use a simple frame lock (also called a O lock) and a cable. If it's going to be a quick in and out, I only engage the frame lock which takes all of 2 seconds. If it's going to be longer, more than 5 min, I use the cable and wrap it around something secure and connect it to the frame lock. Though it helps I don't ride a bicycle most would want to steal.
Old 03-03-13, 11:13 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've heard some suggest riding a bike which looks ugly, since thieves will not want to steal it. I disagree with this for two reasons. First, I'd rather ride a bike I like and I don't like going with a bike deliberately made ugly. Second, attempts to make a bike ugly will not hide the components on the bike. If a savvy bike thief sees a high-end drivetrain on an otherwise undesirable bike, the bike would be a target.

In some large cities, I've left my bike unlocked in busy areas, but I've also been within sight of the bike. It may be unlocked in front of a mall, but I'm in a coffee shop, taking a break but sitting at the window watching it.
Old 03-04-13, 12:16 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
I've heard some suggest riding a bike which looks ugly, since thieves will not want to steal it. I disagree with this for two reasons. First, I'd rather ride a bike I like and I don't like going with a bike deliberately made ugly. Second, attempts to make a bike ugly will not hide the components on the bike. If a savvy bike thief sees a high-end drivetrain on an otherwise undesirable bike, the bike would be a target.

In some large cities, I've left my bike unlocked in busy areas, but I've also been within sight of the bike. It may be unlocked in front of a mall, but I'm in a coffee shop, taking a break but sitting at the window watching it.
In the inner city, a lot of people believe that a Walmart mountain bike is about as good as it gets. I know most of the kids would rather steal a MTB because that's the kind of bike they want to ride. I once had an old Trek MTB stolen, and the thief left behind a sweet Fuji road bike that was easily worth twice as much as the bike he stole.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-04-13, 01:17 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use a mini U lock for short stops. I park my bike in a storage room at work, and I would never even consider locking the bike up outside overnight.

The main thing that protects me is the place where I live. It's a town with a lot of rich people who like bicycles, most thieves here don't seem to care about bikes that much, and my bike, while pretty nice, isn't as nice as other ones locked up nearby. And a lot of those owners of really nice bikes don't seem as willing as I am to deal with the extra weight of a U lock.
Old 03-04-13, 05:33 AM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I've been using combination cable locks (no padlack..) exclusively. In winter a pretty thin one as the cold air makes them less flexible. Bikes stolen == 0. Hope this confession doesn't jinx me.
It's OK I almost have that invisibility cloak done! Just don't forget where you parked it or you're screwed!
Old 03-04-13, 09:52 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
I feel the best security is locking up right by a busy entrance to a store, or in front of a window where you and everyone else can see the bike from inside. I still lock my bike, of course, but the lock just makes me feel better. A cordless grinder or recip saw can chop through most locks pretty quick. I think you get better security from leaving the bike where someone would think twice about going for it, because of high visibility.

Originally Posted by bragi
...a town with a lot of rich people who like bicycles, most thieves here don't seem to care about bikes that much, and my bike, while pretty nice, isn't as nice as other ones locked up nearby. And a lot of those owners of really nice bikes don't seem as willing as I am to deal with the extra weight of a U lock.
I don't have to run faster than the lion; just faster than you!
Old 03-04-13, 09:58 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

On other BF sub forums, there have been videos posted of a bike being stolen on a busy street. Even a cop walked by and did nothing as the bike was stolen. It took quite a while to steal the bike too.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-04-13, 11:23 AM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a cable lock through the frame and wrap it around either a fat metal tube on a bike rack or some type of immovable pole. My daily rider looks bad. The rear wheel uses nuts. The front has a quick release. When I was using my light weight bicycle I would run the cable through the frame and wheels. I would remove the seat post and take it and the Brooks saddle inside.

I don't think there is a big bicycle theft problem where I live. My neighbors have been leaving their bicycles unlocked on their porch for years. I see that around the neighborhood too. Lawn mowers, snow blowers, and other cool things are left outside all of the time. I was brought up in the New Orleans area where stuff gets stolen instantly if it is left unattended. I always use locks and when I owned a car I always locked it with the alarm on, even if I was just going away from it for a minute. I never left the windows down.

My lock is a six foot curly cable with a key lock. The six feet will never be used. It's more like three feet in reality especially in the cold weather. It has been so cold that the plastic coating has cracked and bits of it have fallen off. One time the lock got water in it and froze. I borrowed a cigarette lighter from a coworker and melted it. From then on I have been carrying my own lighter for such a situation, just in case.
Old 03-04-13, 12:35 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

In a low income area, most thefts are ride-aways, so just removing the front wheel will eliminate a lot of thefts.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-04-13, 12:42 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Smallwheels
One time the lock got water in it and froze. I borrowed a cigarette lighter from a coworker and melted it. From then on I have been carrying my own lighter for such a situation, just in case.
I put a piece of tin foil over the lock to keep water out. One time I didn't have any foil, so I wrapped a leaf around the lock and tied it on with a piece of grass.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-04-13, 11:48 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I lock up outside of work with a U-lock through the frame and rear wheel and a cable lock through the front wheel to make it look like stealing my bike is more trouble than it's worth and I don't put any especially attractive or expensive components (like leather saddles) on my commuters. I actually own two U-locks, one stays at home most of the time unless I'm going someplace where bike theft attempts are highly probable, the other lives on the rack outside my workplace so I don't have to carry it back and forth everyday.
Old 03-05-13, 10:46 AM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently use one of these through the rear wheel (Sheldon Brown locking method):

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-997.../dp/B000OZ9VLU

one of these to secure my Brooks saddle:

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-720...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

and one of these through the front wheel:

https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/lk10.htm

I want to add a good chain lock to the mix in the near future, especially since I plan to move to a more bike-friendly (and thus, more bike-theft prone) area. Although the ABUS lock is sufficient for most of the places I currently lock my bike in.
Old 03-05-13, 12:31 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is the most prevalent method of defeating a U-lock? If people use angle grinders then it would seem unnecessary to use a bigger New York style lock because it would only take ten more seconds to get through one of those. What size bolt cutters does it take to get through a regular U-lock?
Old 03-05-13, 03:24 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kryptonite fahgettaboudit, cables through both wheels and saddle, always locked in a secure garage (ID badge) with multiple video cameras recording 24/7.
Old 03-05-13, 05:51 PM
charbucks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a small U-lock and a heavy chain. I tend to prefer the chain, as it allows for more flexible locking and is probably more secure, but it is bulkier and heavier. For short trips, I'll carry it around my waist hipster-style, but it's probably asking for a painful wipeout. For times when the bike will be stationary for a long time (eg at the pub), I prefer to bring my Brompton inside.

I've come to accept that bikes do get stolen, so I'm not going to restrict my activities and keep my bike in sight at all times. It's sad when it happens, but ultimately not worth sacrificing my social life to prevent.
Old 03-05-13, 07:42 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by charbucks
I've come to accept that bikes do get stolen, so I'm not going to restrict my activities and keep my bike in sight at all times. It's sad when it happens, but ultimately not worth sacrificing my social life to prevent.
If I'm going to be away from my bike for a period of time, I'll try to have the bike inside with me or in a garage where it's safe. Or, if that doesn't work, I'll simply admit there are times when I should leave the bike at home and show up on foot.
Old 03-05-13, 08:51 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Does it seem like cyclists worry more about vehicle theft than motorists? I've had both a bike and a car stolen. The car was a MUCH bigger hassle. But neither was a good reason to spoil a whole day. Just things, and all that.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-05-13, 10:36 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
But neither was a good reason to spoil a whole day. Just things, and all that.
Lately, now that I'm in down-sizing mode, I tell people my biggest worry about thieves in the neighbourhood is that they might break in and drop stuff off.
Old 03-07-13, 02:27 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use this: https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...FahDMgod_lcAbQ

Its long enough to go around a small tree and most street objects while locking both the frame and rear wheel. It weighs about 2 pounds. I am thinking of getting a good U-Lock to keep locked to a post near my office (on a large campus) because the bike often sits there all day, but almost never over night. Both my wheels have Delta anti theft scewers that require a special tool to remove. My seat post, which has a very used Brooks B17 on it, is also bolt on. I bought many thieves would go through the trouble of trying to cut my chain lock to get the bike, but adding the ulock for at work where the bike spends a lot of time makes sense and I never have to carry around the extra weight.

If someone figures out a way to take my front wheel despite the anti theft scewer then thats fine by me since the cost of a new front wheel every 10 years or so when that scenario might actually happens does not out weight the hassle of locking the front wheel every day. Ditto for my Brooks.
Old 03-08-13, 06:46 PM
PDX Reborn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
kryptonite fahgettaboudit, cables through both wheels and saddle, always locked in a secure garage (ID badge) with multiple video cameras recording 24/7.
All thats missing is, the angry pitbull leashed to the frame Tell me you don't carry that rock around?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.