Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

LCF with a Driver's License?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

LCF with a Driver's License?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 10:58 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Scheherezade
Easier to get a job if you have a DL. Lots of applications ask for it.
Apparently, jobs aren't a priority in this forum!
Old 02-01-13, 11:34 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Apparently, jobs aren't a priority in this forum!
They're not a priority to me, since i already have one. Although carfree, I am a responsible adult. I have worked for the same employer for 25 years, and I plan to stay put until I retire in about 10years. I will have more retirement income than most, due to not handing a big chunk of money over for car expenses every month.

and it's just another day here on the anti-carfree forum!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-01-13, 01:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I will have more retirement income than most, due to not handing a big chunk of money over for car expenses every month.

and it's just another day here on the anti-carfree forum!
And just another silly post implying that the good life is dependent on not having car expenses. Ya know, some people have jobs that provide more than subsistence wages.
Old 03-05-13, 02:53 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Sometimes I need to be down town picking up parts for work when they open at 10:00am then be at work 22 miles away to open the shop at work before 10:30 pm. If I can't ride my bicycle I ride my motorcycle. When I'm retired I plan on being car free. But then I'll need at lest one motorcycle. :-)
Old 03-05-13, 02:56 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree there always have a 50cc scooter as backup to my bikes. It costs next to nothing to run and the insurabce is less than 100 a year.
Old 03-05-13, 10:17 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
And just another silly post implying that the good life is dependent on not having car expenses. Ya know, some people have jobs that provide more than subsistence wages.
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm referring to simple arithmetic: if I don't spend money on one thing (like a car), that money is available to spend on something else (like retirement).

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-05-13, 12:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm referring to simple arithmetic: if I don't spend money on one thing (like a car), that money is available to spend on something else (like retirement).
"I will have more retirement income than most, due to not handing a big chunk of money over for car expenses every month" sure sounds like you are implying that car free living provides its practitioners a greater retirement income than "most" (presumably those who do spend money on a car.)

Do you have any information on the retirement plans of Car Free Folk other than yourself? What makes you think other Car Free Folk do the same arithmetic as you and put anymore money into long term retirement plans than "most" other people, car free or otherwise?

Could be that some/most car free people are car free because they are living from check to check and can't afford it and their only retirement plan with or without a car is Social Security at best.

Could be that some/most car free people do have extra money to spend or save due to no car expenses, but don't have the same priorities as you and spend the extra money on wine, women, bicycling vacations and song, and don't put an additional dime aside for future contingencies or retirement.

You have a better retirement plan than some people, with or without car expenses, because that is how you decided to save your money. You have "extra" money because you don't have car expenses; other people have extra money because they save by not spending their money on housing, entertainment, or legal/illegal vices.

Other people have extra money to save for retirement because their car ownership enabled them to be mobile enough to maintain a well paying job that more than paid for the car expense.

Note: I have found that my take home "pay" from my retirement check is higher than my take home pay from working at the time I retired, now that no more of my pay is deducted or set aside for retirement. Roody, you aren't the only person who can do arithmetic and being car free doesn't make anyone any smarter with their money.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-05-13 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added note
Old 03-05-13, 01:04 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
+1. Cars are not necessary for the vast majority of local trips, and I personally dislike them, but when my 75 year old, not totally fit relatives are flying in for a visit, my dislike of cars tends to fade a bit.
haha, same here.
Old 03-05-13, 05:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Apparently, jobs aren't a priority in this forum!:rolleyes:
I am one of the car-free people for whom a well paying job is an important priority. I don't like to live a "survival exsistence"... I also maintain an investment protofolio and a retirement savings account... and I have an "emergency account", just in case I was to loose my job.
Old 03-05-13, 05:40 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My job is important but working freelance I get to pick where I go. If a school is too far away to cycle to I choise a closer one. No need for a car.
Old 03-05-13, 07:45 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't live a "survival existence" but I have been simplifying my lifestyle in recent years. This is a matter of personal preference for me, not something I must do in order to make ends meet. However, I have seen some financial advantages as a result of the car-light lifestyle I have chosen.
Old 03-05-13, 11:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
I don't live a "survival existence" but I have been simplifying my lifestyle in recent years. This is a matter of personal preference for me, not something I must do in order to make ends meet. However, I have seen some financial advantages as a result of the car-light lifestyle I have chosen.
As I am sure you already know, there is a world of difference between being car-light and car-free.

As you are also aware it is possible to pay the expenses of owning a car as you do, and still have money to live a normal life AND even have enough money to save for a decent retirement, despite Roody's implying that it is a pick one or the other, can't have both choice.
Old 03-06-13, 04:28 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
As you are also aware it is possible to pay the expenses of owning a car as you do, and still have money to live a normal life AND even have enough money to save for a decent retirement
I agree that vehicle ownership doesn't have to be expensive, especially if that vehicle sits in a parking lot most of the time and is driven very little, as is the case with many car-light people, or if it's a small fuel efficient car. It only gets expensive if that vehicle gets overused. Even spending $ 100 dollars per month on gas is not really that much, a monthly transit bus pass in my city costs about $ 100 dollars... I also believe that car ownership doesn't neccessarily mean that the person is car-centric, or hell -bent on destroying the environment. A car is just a tool, the problem starts when that tool becomes a status symbol ,then it can get expensive.

Last edited by wolfchild; 03-06-13 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 08:50 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I agree that vehicle ownership doesn't have to be expensive, especially if that vehicle sits in a parking lot most of the time and is driven very little, as is the case with many car-light people, or if it's a small fuel efficient car. It only gets expensive if that vehicle gets overused. Even spending $ 100 dollars per month on gas is not really that much, a monthly transit bus pass in my city costs about $ 100 dollars... I also believe that car ownership doesn't neccessarily mean that the person is car-centric, or hell -bent on destroying the environment. A car is just a tool, the problem starts when that tool becomes a status symbol ,then it can get expensive.
There are many threads here about the cost of car. This particular thread is about driver licenses. Thank you.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-06-13, 09:09 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh
As shocking as this seems... Florida is strange. If a person has a driver license and doesn't own a car, they do not need to have any kind of insurance. HOWEVER... if they allow their license to expire, and then go to the DMV to get it reinstated, you need to obtain a "non-owner's liability" policy before the state will reinstate your license.

Soooo... there is another reason why a person might want to keep their DL active, even if they don't own a car.
That does seem bizarre, but I think there are a couple other states that also require people with DLs to hold insurance, even if they don't own a car.

What's this like? How much does it cost to have this non-owners policy? If you didn't have the non-owners policy, what would happen if you wrecked a borrowed car? Here in Michigan, if a car hits you while you're riding your bike, the car owner's insurance will cover your medical expenses up to a million dollars. What about in Florida? Are you covered by the driver's policy if you get hit?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-06-13, 12:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

There are many threads here about the cost of car. This particular thread is about driver licenses. Thank you.
See:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15224385
Old 03-06-13, 12:11 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
In my state, you go to the same office that issues drivers licenses, and ask for a "Colorado id card". It is the same as a drivers license, but has no driving privileges: https://www.dmv.com/co/colorado/apply-id-card
Old 03-06-13, 12:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
In my state, you go to the same office that issues drivers licenses, and ask for a "Colorado id card". It is the same as a drivers license, but has no driving privileges: https://www.dmv.com/co/colorado/apply-id-card
Good for ID and proof of age; worthless when applying for a job that requires a driver's license to perform that job.
Old 03-06-13, 12:14 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I forgot to renew mine, but generally I think it's good to have one, sure.
Old 03-06-13, 01:37 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
+1. Cars are not necessary for the vast majority of local trips, and I personally dislike them, but when my 75 year old, not totally fit relatives are flying in for a visit, my dislike of cars tends to fade a bit.
I'm 30; never owned a car but almost always had a valid driver's license and find it pretty useful a few time a year. My wife has never had a driver's license and the has never been a problem for her.
Old 03-06-13, 01:46 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
As others have pointed out it is ultimately up to you, but I don't see the point honestly. Why not just get a state ID as it is cheaper. You can always later go in for a license if the need arises. I'm 33 and have yet to have a drivers license and never see myself with one.
Old 03-06-13, 03:03 PM
Trower
Bus Stop Ratbag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had a car since January 2010, though I have a drivers license. I have to drive the company truck occasionally and borrow it if I have to move somthing too big. Also use my sisters van if I watch her kids (she has 4, oldest is 5!!!). So I do use a car once in a while. It's also required I'm my state for alcohol purchase, so I REQUIRE one
Old 03-06-13, 03:11 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I thought I had replied to this thread. There must have previously been a similar one. I was car free and did not get my driver's license until I got my job, as they needed me to drive the van. I have only sometimes needed a car to do the job. So there are definitely jobs that require a license. It's no big deal.
Old 03-06-13, 03:41 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trower
I haven't had a car since January 2010, though I have a drivers license. I have to drive the company truck occasionally and borrow it if I have to move somthing too big. Also use my sisters van if I watch her kids (she has 4, oldest is 5!!!). So I do use a car once in a while. It's also required I'm my state for alcohol purchase, so I REQUIRE one
What state do you live in? I'm sure you could purchase booze with another form of ID, such as a passport or state ID card.
Old 03-06-13, 07:07 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Trower
Actually, you don't need a DL to get alcohol. All 50 states issue ID cards that can be used instead. (unless maybe you live outside the US?)

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.