Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How much 'rackage' is too much?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How much 'rackage' is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 07:01 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
What I did with the OMM Sherpa front rack on a 26" wheel LHT is secure it at the mid fork mounts and the cantilever bosses with the entire axle mount hardware removed so that it sat on the upper eyelets on the fork ends. It's a very solid set up.
Amazingly - thats exactly what I ended up doing myself! But that kinda left me wondering what to do with a couple extra long skewers and that bottom end stuff!
Old 03-19-13, 07:10 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slussman
Hey there guys, I'm building a light to medium load touring bike and I was wondering what you guys think about front racks? The bike will primarily be a city bike/commuter most of the time but will be used for at least a few week long trips this summer. I can't decide on whether to get low-rider pannier mounts, a 6-pack rack, or just nothing at all on the front.

Also, I'm not sure what to look for quality wise. I'm on a college student's budget so I can't splurge for Tubus or anything like that but I don't want to get something that will just break or bend right away.

I just don't want to go crazy and get a front rack, and then discover I never really use it... So your guys' opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
If you can keep your loads reasonably light (which is a good idea anyway), it should be easy to go with just a rear rack.

That would be my preference over other configurations.

Touring wheels can be built plenty strong enough for this, and often are.

With light to moderate loads, handling shouldn't be a problem.

For an excellent rack at a reasonable price, check out the Jandd Expeditions.
Old 03-19-13, 07:29 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I would say this was about right ... sorry, couldn't resist
I would say this is the absolute maximum:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
christina-hendricks.jpg (32.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-19-13, 07:32 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any affordable stiff rear racks? I seem to have trouble finding steel racks that aren't UBER (heh germans) expensive.
The Jandd Expeditions are stiff and reliable, and the company is a good one that stands behind its products well.

I also have Tubus and Gordon racks, among others. If I were building up a bike from scratch and needed to buy a rack for it at a reasonable price, it would be the Jandd. It's a fine rack with a great design and top platform. The oversized aluminum is stiff and very durable.

I might even go with it if the others were offered at or near the same price. The design is better and the quality is fine.
Old 03-20-13, 07:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
~Shimagnalo - beautiful and while that's a buddy of mine's attraction I tend to go for less
Old 03-20-13, 07:24 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Amazingly - thats exactly what I ended up doing myself! But that kinda left me wondering what to do with a couple extra long skewers and that bottom end stuff!
Put it in the tool box then in 30yrs when the kids come to clean out the stuff they can wonder what it is.

wrt the rear OMM rack it just doesn't seem like a good design to forego the conventional attachment from front of rack to seat stays .

Last edited by LeeG; 03-20-13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-20-13, 09:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I used a Nashbar front rack for a few tours until I could spring for a better one. Not ideal, but functional for your budget if you do not weight it down. Alternatively. I could also recommend a Blackburn rear rack only and put all of your stuff back there if you are no more than 30 lbs of stuff... I have toured that way and if bike handles well, it works until you can afford an ideal setup.
Old 03-20-13, 11:47 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LeeG
Put it in the tool box then in 30yrs when the kids come to clean out the stuff they can wonder what it is.

wrt the rear OMM rack it just doesn't seem like a good design to forego the conventional attachment from front of rack to seat stays .
One problem I ran into with my OMM front rack was that it wasn't compatible with a friends car roof rack. It was the kind that you were supposed to remove your front wheel and attach the forks to it, but it didn't fit with the OMM Cold Springs mounted on it. That said, I've given 200 pound persons a ride on that front rack numerous times (so much so, that at one point I had custom pegs mounted up front!). It's super durable.

This guy is a little smaller than my regular passenger (the couple of years I did this regularly):

Usually I had the passenger hang onto my bar ends, but he was very drunk and completely belligerent. It was rather tricky with him moving around!

No complaints about my Jandd Expedition rear rack either, except for the paint flaking off.
Attached Images

Last edited by Medic Zero; 03-20-13 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 04:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Hey there guys, I'm building a light to medium load touring bike and I was wondering what you guys think about front racks? The bike will primarily be a city bike/commuter most of the time but will be used for at least a few week long trips this summer. I can't decide on whether to get low-rider pannier mounts, a 6-pack rack, or just nothing at all on the front.

Also, I'm not sure what to look for quality wise. I'm on a college student's budget so I can't splurge for Tubus or anything like that but I don't want to get something that will just break or bend right away.

I just don't want to go crazy and get a front rack, and then discover I never really use it... So your guys' opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
A front rack is not necessary. I tried to tour with panniers front and rear once, and that lasted about 3 days before I ditched a set of panniers. All my other tours (and some have been quite long), have been with one rack, and one set of panniers.

The only way I could see a need for more is if I were to do expedition/trekking style touring where I travelled somewhere really remote.
Old 03-21-13, 04:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

A front rack is not necessary. I tried to tour with panniers front and rear once, and that lasted about 3 days before I ditched a set of panniers. All my other tours (and some have been quite long), have been with one rack, and one set of panniers.

The only way I could see a need for more is if I were to do expedition/trekking style touring where I travelled somewhere really remote.
Old 03-21-13, 07:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I used a Nashbar front rack for a few tours until I could spring for a better one. Not ideal, but functional for your budget if you do not weight it down. Alternatively. I could also recommend a Blackburn rear rack only and put all of your stuff back there if you are no more than 30 lbs of stuff... I have toured that way and if bike handles well, it works until you can afford an ideal setup.
Do you mean the little platform rack or the low rider? If the low rider, I'd carry any load that I am likely to carry on the front with it. We used them on a fairly heavily loaded Trans America and I have used them on other tours. I don't really see the need for ever replacing it.

As far as the Blackburn EX-1, the only reason I would replace mine is to go with less rack for lighter touring.

My perspective for these comments is that of a rider who has toured with 45-50 pounds at most, so if you want to go real heavy my view may not be applicable. These days I have been going really light (11 pound base last tour) where again that perspective isn't very applicable, but for the opposite reason.
Old 03-21-13, 10:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rear rack is not either.. big saddle bag , handle bar bag and perhaps, a generous credit line .

or debit card to withdraw savings..
Old 03-21-13, 10:37 AM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few years ago, I used a front and rear rack on my bike. I would have the tent and a few othe items in front and the rest on the rear rack. Today, I do not use such a setup. Instead, I have lightened and condensed my load to the point where a rear rack and a handlebar bag are more than ample for most trips. If I am going somewhere isolated and will need to carry enough food or water for several days, I will add the front rack and use smaller panniers in front for food.