Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bike To Work Week

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Bike To Work Week

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 08:37 AM
Newspaperguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike To Work Week

Bike To Work Week is May 27 to June 2 and in my community, we are looking at holding some related events or promotions. I'd like some suggestions about what should be included for this week.

I'm in a community of around 12,000 people with quite a lot of retirees. At least half of the working people have jobs in neighbouring cities which are a little too far for a daily bike commute, especially in winter. Still, for those of us who live and work here, the distances are ideal for cycling and although we have few bike lanes, the motorists are great around cyclists.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-05-13, 08:15 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
Bike To Work Week is May 27 to June 2 and in my community, we are looking at holding some related events or promotions. I'd like some suggestions about what should be included for this week.

I'm in a community of around 12,000 people with quite a lot of retirees. At least half of the working people have jobs in neighbouring cities which are a little too far for a daily bike commute, especially in winter. Still, for those of us who live and work here, the distances are ideal for cycling and although we have few bike lanes, the motorists are great around cyclists.

Your thoughts?
Our Bike Month has a number of events. But surprisingly few are centered around commuters. We used to have a commuter breakfast program, where you could stop by for a bagel and a coffee. I've organized commuter pizza lunches. And another (the other end of the day) was Handlebar Happy Hour.

Not surprisingly, the breakfast program has been dropped and the beer event is immensely popular.

I hate to mention this but there is considerable weird synergy between bike riding and beer drinking.
Old 04-06-13, 07:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I hate to mention this but there is considerable weird synergy between bike riding and beer drinking.
True Dat...as long as the beer drinking is done after the ride and not before or during the ride.