Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

better way to clean a chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

better way to clean a chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 11:30 PM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
I'm really thinking to give it a try. Couple questions:

1. Most of the instructional videos have you clean the chain before dipping it in the wax, but I remember reading someone's write-up and it sounded like the cleaning step might be unnecessary--crud just falls off the chain and sinks to the bottom? Do you clean and wax or just drop the chain right in?

2. What do you use for the wax? Do you mix anything in? I remember one video where the guy used candles but then poured in something else (because the candle wax apparently gets too hard).
You get best results by starting with a well cleaned, or preferably new chain.

I did throw in a well used blackened chain once, and it worked fine, but without the preclean, I don't think there's quite enough paraffin in a small slow cooker to really get all the grit out in one shot. That said, it was still wayyyy cleaner and stayed cleaner than any lubed chain that wasn't new, so unless you want the best, it's likely fine to just throw your ugly black chain in the paraffin. (It will also turn the paraffin kind of black even if the big pieces settle.) Interestingly, the chain definitely got CLEANER after I rode it 50-100 miles - I suspect that the extra paraffin in the chainlinks helped extude the deeper black grit (the chain will shed tiny paraffin particles for the first 20-50 miles.)

Lots of folks mix stuff in and it probably improves it a little, but honestly, I'm getting perfectly good results with straight paraffin. I even bought paraffin oil as recommended by a youtube video, but I haven't even used it yet since I have no problems at all with paraffin. I heard about the hardness too, but I honestly haven't had any problems with too-hard paraffin.

SUPER clean. It's shockingly so if you're used to the blackening effects of a well used lubed chain.
Old 06-21-17, 11:41 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jimh12345

Every 3 rides or so I have to remove the chain, take it to the basement laundry tub and scrub with a powerful degreaser like Zep Purple. I do this with a hand brush but it's slow, tedious and messy. Even soaking for a long time doesn't dislodge everything, it has to be brushed, and then the grit goes down the drain.

I think I want a gadget with a crank that pulls it around and around through some scrub brushes.

When it is time for a new chain, switch over to paraffin and your horror will be a thing of the past.
Old 06-21-17, 11:53 PM
Self Evident

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stop Cleaning Your Chain.

And start Waxing it!

I'm really thinking to give it a try.
You will be glad you did. No mechanical chain cleaning gadget is going to help with oiled chains - it's still a mess! Like you, I've been cleaning bike chains for 40+ years (altho, there were long stretches will little riding...). Since switching to wax, I get nervous shivers thinking about going back to that ugly, dirty, oily, greasy, grimy, mess of before!

Something that helps, regardless of chain lube or cleaning method, is to rotate two or three chains - one on the bike, one (or two) clean & ready to go. Plus, rotating chains can extend the life of the rest of your drivetrain.

Now, if you do decide to try wax, you will still need to clean your entire drivetrain thoroughly at least...
one...
last...
time!

After that, never. Some bits of wax will collect on the sides of the chain-rings, cassette cogs, and jockey wheels, but it's not the greasy gunk of before and doesn't hurt anything. It's just wax.

Supposedly, wax picks up less dirt in the first place.
This, x 1000. Really. Yes, the wax will start to look dirty & black after a while, but it's wax, and doesn't "soak in" to whatever touches it like an oil lube.

What do you use for the wax?
I use Gulf Wax from the canning isle of the grocery store. It's about $3 for a one pound box. Candles wax will work too. I have a 1.5 qt crock (but a 1qt or smaller would work fine), and start with 1/2 lb of wax - enough to cover the chain. More wax just takes longer to heat up.

Do you clean and wax or just drop the chain right in?
If starting with a previously oiled chain, first give it a good cleaning with brake cleaner, or kerosene, or what ever, and let dry.

If re-waxing a previously waxed chain, I do give it a quick wipe down, but you can just drop it right in. Grit etc will settle to the bottom.

In short, this is the re-wax process:
1) Plug in your crock pot/slow cooker with 1/2 lb of wax.
2) Drop chain in crock pot - no need to wait for wax to melt first, the chain needs to heat up too.
3) After chain has been in the *melted* wax for a few minutes, remove & place on a piece of cardboard & let cool. Don't let it cool completely, just cool enough to handle, or it gets stiff & each link will need to be worked loose.

Have something handy, like an old spoke bent to a hook, to fish the chain out of the hot wax.

The crock pot may take 30-60 minutes to heat up & melt the wax depending on size & how much wax. But you don't have to stand or sit by it - go do other stuff.

I degrease new chains, but I've read of others that don't.

After re-install, some wax bits will flake off the outer links for the the first few revolutions of the chain. So, if inside, you may want to have some newspaper or whatever under the chain to catch the wax bits.

If wet, dry the chain first, as water is denser than wax, so it will sink to the bottom. A little won't matter though, or even a lot really, as the wax on top will coat the chain as you pull it out.

To drain any potential water from the bottom, put a straw in the hot wax & let cool. Once cool, any water should be able to be drained out of thru the straw.

Now, as with most things cycling, the last word on how to really clean & lube a chain must go to Mr. Brown:

https://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

Last edited by Self Evident; 06-22-17 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Minor spelling & grammar
Old 06-22-17, 12:27 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Now why didn't I think of that? It would push the sand, grit and road salt down into the rollers and pins where I won't have to look at it. I could just wear earplugs when it gets noisy.
But a magical "Mechanical Scrubber" won't do the exact same thing? Keep dreaming.
Old 06-22-17, 07:58 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
[MENTION=374984]I think I want a gadget with a crank that pulls it around and around through some scrub brushes.
No, you want an indentured servant.
Old 06-22-17, 10:00 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
To clarify - yes I've used the on-bike scrubbers many times. I'm looking for something similar that's designed for off-bike cleaning and works better for that purpose.

@Lazyass, with regard to "who cares", "what the big deal is" etc., I ride in the winter, I live in Minneapolis, and the garden hose is not an option in February. The on-bike cleaners put wet cr@ap on my shop floor. So like I said I clean the chain (and freewheel, and chainrings) in the laundry tub.

I've done the shake-in-a-jar thing and it doesn't get the job done. The issue is that in the winter I use more tenacious chain lubes that load up on dirt and don't just rinse off without some scrubbing.

@davidad, An ultrasonic cleaner is something I hadn't considered...

I only occasionally ride in bad weather, the advantage of being old and retired, but after using all of the methods for chain maintenance the ultrasonic cleaner is the best, period.
I started out using WD-40. Spraying it on then wiping off the excess. I then went to paraffin wax in a Fry Daddy. it didn't last more than 3 or 4 hundred miles and the chain still turned black and I had to rewax after riding in the rain.
I then starting cleaning the chain in a plastic Ragu jar in mineral spirits and lubing with dilute chainsaw bar oil. My chains began lasting over 4 to 5k miles.
About 7 years ago I tried an ultrasonic cleaner and my chains lasted over twice as many miles. 19000 on the touring bike with fenders and over 16,000 on my road bike without fenders.
I replace my chains a 1/16" wear.
Old 06-22-17, 10:09 AM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm having a hard time believing that a paraffin dip-waxed chain will turn black after 300 miles. Granted, I'm not riding in rain and slop, but my chain has at least 200 miles on it right now, and it seriously looks cleaner than when I started (since all the extra paraffin flakes are all off the chain). It also leaves almost no chain tattoo when I grab it hard, so I suspect the rollers are pretty clean as well.

There's no way I could say that even with the cleanest of the clean lubes I've ever used at the 200 mile mark.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner for small parts that will fit a chain, and it does work extremely well for cleaning the pins - if I were using lube but wanted a super clean chain, that is def the route I would go, although it seems a bit pointless since the moment you relube and ride again, the lube will pick up plenty of blackening dust and debris on your very first ride.
Old 06-22-17, 10:26 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Johnsons Paste wax for the win. Wipe it on ,go ride, clean off the excess. Simply can not get any easier.
Reapply as needed.
Old 06-22-17, 10:34 AM
jimh12345

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I only occasionally ride in bad weather, the advantage of being old and retired, but after using all of the methods for chain maintenance the ultrasonic cleaner is the best, period.
I started out using WD-40. Spraying it on then wiping off the excess. I then went to paraffin wax in a Fry Daddy. it didn't last more than 3 or 4 hundred miles and the chain still turned black and I had to rewax after riding in the rain.
I then starting cleaning the chain in a plastic Ragu jar in mineral spirits and lubing with dilute chainsaw bar oil. My chains began lasting over 4 to 5k miles.
About 7 years ago I tried an ultrasonic cleaner and my chains lasted over twice as many miles. 19000 on the touring bike with fenders and over 16,000 on my road bike without fenders.
I replace my chains a 1/16" wear.
If I can use a water-based degreaser (Zep Purple) in an ultrasonic cleaner, that might be the best method yet.
Old 06-22-17, 10:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I hope people who use water based degreasers don't pour the contaminated water down the drain.

-Tim-
Old 06-22-17, 10:54 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Effectiveness first, simplicity second.
Consider what you are cleaning. If it's salt and road dirt (ie: soil) something oily will not dissolve the salt and lets the particulate stick. And, you don't want the chain stewing in the grime. Something like a pressure washer or car wash with hot water and a little detergent will dissolve and mechanically flush the chain inside and out. (Contrary to popular opinion, less detergent is usually better and all detergents need agitation to actually lever the grime off.)
Then simply displace the water with a solvent or light oil which can be incorporated in the lube.
Old 06-22-17, 11:41 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
I'm having a hard time believing that a paraffin dip-waxed chain will turn black after 300 miles. Granted, I'm not riding in rain and slop, but my chain has at least 200 miles on it right now, and it seriously looks cleaner than when I started (since all the extra paraffin flakes are all off the chain). It also leaves almost no chain tattoo when I grab it hard, so I suspect the rollers are pretty clean as well.

There's no way I could say that even with the cleanest of the clean lubes I've ever used at the 200 mile mark.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner for small parts that will fit a chain, and it does work extremely well for cleaning the pins - if I were using lube but wanted a super clean chain, that is def the route I would go, although it seems a bit pointless since the moment you relube and ride again, the lube will pick up plenty of blackening dust and debris on your very first ride.
The black is from wear particles from inside the chain.
Old 06-22-17, 12:02 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I know that's where some of the black comes from, but the extruded wax bits usually push it all out of the chain. It shouldn't be building up on the inside/outside of the chain with a properly waxed chain. (it def builds up on a lubed chain)
Old 06-22-17, 01:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
was gonna clean some chains this coming Saturday on the family bikes in anticipation for our annual family trip but now I have to help replace the kids' car
Old 06-22-17, 03:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

This thread sure has some ingenious ways to do way more work than necessary while at the same time being as ineffective as possible.
Old 06-22-17, 03:40 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Molten Wax has great instructions for cleaning a new chain, and bikeradar published the UltraFast Chain Lube recipe, which is 1lb of household paraffin wax, 5g of pure PTFE (Teflon) powder, and 1g of pure molybdenum disulfide (MoS2).
Old 06-22-17, 03:42 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
..I ride in the winter, I live in Minneapolis, and the garden hose is not an option in February. The on-bike cleaners put wet cr@ap on my shop floor. So like I said I clean the chain (and freewheel, and chainrings) in the laundry tub.
I use waxed chains in the winter and this sprayer filled with warm water to wash my bike outside. Wait for a coupon and it's under twenty bucks.
Old 06-22-17, 04:16 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hay
Johnsons Paste wax for the win. Wipe it on ,go ride, clean off the excess. Simply can not get any easier.
Reapply as needed.
Are you talking about Johnsons Wood Paste wax ? (Home Depot). New or cleaned used chain ?
Thanks. KB.
Old 06-23-17, 05:48 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
That's the stuff. I got tired of the greasy chain and went to this on my f.g. I have not done the road bike yet but only anticipate good things.
I applied the wax right over a dirty chain, wiping it off a little first. It's smooth and quite.
Old 06-23-17, 06:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I have the best way to clean the chain without any harsh chemical that is bad for the environment and cause cancer.

I clean it like cleaning a gun. Put down some newspaper under the chain. Take a small patch of cotton from old-tee shirt, stick it thru the space between two pins, and pull the cotton back and forth. Do it for each link. Do it for the outside of the link. In about 30 minutes, gets it super clean!!!

Why do you want to use harsh chemicals like WD40 that also displace the lube inside the link and give you cancer!!!
Your method only cleans the outside of the chain and forces smaller particulate into the chain. The big chunks you can see aren't the problem. The small chunks you can't see but can often hear or feel...that "crunch" sound...are the problem.

As to the "harshness" of chemicals in WD40, there is none. Nor do they "give you cancer". While I wouldn't do shots of mineral spirits (the solvent in WD40), it's not particularly dangerous. Ethanol...drinking alcohol...is more toxic and people drink a lot of that.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-23-17, 06:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This thread sure has some ingenious ways to do way more work than necessary while at the same time being as ineffective as possible.
On that we can certainly agree!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-23-17, 07:45 AM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always run my chain thru the brush that Parktool makes. It seems to work well. I use that Green bio degreaser.

My chain got the link to take it off easily. Will it wear out if I keep doing it? I never done this.
Old 06-23-17, 08:22 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by chong67
My chain got the link to take it off easily. Will it wear out if I keep doing it? I never done this.
The last 11 speed KMC chain I bought came with a warning that said the quick link was only supposed to be used once, and if you remove the chain you should reinstall it using a new quick link.

That being said, I've removed this chain at least a dozen times and reused the same quick link with no problems. It does now come apart easier than it originally did, but still holds securely enough to do the job (chain is near end of life anyway.) I've never had an issue on any of my bikes by reusing the quick links. I'll keep using them until the chain wears out, then when I get a new chain it comes with a new quick link.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 06-23-17 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 08:39 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
One thing that's worth doing, no matter how you clean your chain, is to wipe it off obsessively after relubing. If you can get it to feel nearly dry to the touch, it will pick up a lot less dirt when riding. A lot of people just keeping squirting more lube on top of the old mess, and that's what gets you that "black crawling horror."
Correct.

I've never had black crawling horror.

As Sheldon Brown says, "never oil a dirty chain".

I've got a small bottle of oil that will last years, 1 drop per link (or less) is all that is needed.
Old 06-23-17, 09:43 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Sometimes you have to oil a dirty chain.

Chains get dirty very fast when riding gravel and sometimes on a long ride it simply goes dry on top of all the dirt, making all kinds of noise.

I carry a 1 oz eye dropper of lube on my gravel bike. It is common for gravel riders to do so.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.