Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

if it fits me then it's not a big box bike right?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 06:35 PM
TreyWestgate

Bikes: motobecane outcast 29er singlespeed and nashbar singlespeed road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The one thing I have noticed is how the big run of the mill bikes that are the cheap junk are also in one size fits all. this must be to cut down production costs as well.

But does it mean that better brands are those who also make their bikes in multiple sizes?.

Not too many brands make bikes as big as I use.

21" mtb 61cm road.

Is there a way to tell if it is something of more attention or just a burger joint bike?.

I go by size availability alone.

never found a big box bike that fit.

Yet again maybe more variety doesn't mean a better brand.

one example might be how Dick,s sporting goods has diamond backs and some are extra large sizes.
Old 12-10-16, 06:47 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
What exactly are you asking? Your post is all over the place.
Old 12-10-16, 06:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Some stores like Dick's Sporting Goods have moderate quality bikes. Generally far above Walmart and department store bikes.

But... perhaps the distinction would be the quality of the build, and many of the Dick's bikes will at least be a mid quality.

One note.. I broke a quick release right in front of a Dick's store... so I hoped to get the repair part. They said that they could order one and have there in a week. Not much help when I was 15 miles from home with a broken bike. Just keep in mind, the don't really have high class after sales support.

There are a number of large frame vintage bikes, including some quite large Schwinn Varsity bikes (which probably hit the bottom tier of shop bikes, one step above the department store bikes).
Old 12-10-16, 07:13 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TreyWestgate
The one thing I have noticed is how the big run of the mill bikes that are the cheap junk are also in one size fits all. this must be to cut down production costs as well.

But does it mean that better brands are those who also make their bikes in multiple sizes?.

Not too many brands make bikes as big as I use.

21" mtb 61cm road.

Is there a way to tell if it is something of more attention or just a burger joint bike?.

I go by size availability alone.

never found a big box bike that fit.

Yet again maybe more variety doesn't mean a better brand.

one example might be how Dick,s sporting goods has diamond backs and some are extra large sizes.
Heh! That's an interesting concept. It does seem, that the better the bike, the better the range of sizes it comes it comes in, and the smaller the interval between sizes- i.e. most bikes of good to excellent quality usually size their bikes in 2cm intervals- while the big box/BSO/Schwinn/Huffy stuff, if offered in varying sizes at all, will usually come in small, medium and large...if that.

I guess the same can be said about a lot of other products, too. I mean ,if you go to buy a suit, and there's just a tag on the collar that says "L".....chances are, it's probably made of polyester and has stripes, and is intended for cigar-smoking used car salesmen.

If you go to buy a hammer, instead of seeing weight in ounces, they're just sorted by labels like "Women & children", "Inept men" and "BFH" , it's safe to assume that they're not of professional quality, eh?

How about one size fits all curtains? Just cut off what ya don't need?
Old 12-10-16, 07:16 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

There are a number of large frame vintage bikes, including some quite large Schwinn Varsity bikes (which probably hit the bottom tier of shop bikes, one step above the department store bikes).
Yeah, big guys are lucky! The bigger bikes usually sell cheaper on the used market! There are a few Kleins on Ebay right now for $300 (!!!) in 61cm.
Old 12-10-16, 07:58 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Stucky
Yeah, big guys are lucky! The bigger bikes usually sell cheaper on the used market! There are a few Kleins on Ebay right now for $300 (!!!) in 61cm.
How tall is the OP?

There is a tendency towards smaller bikes now, at least with the high performance racing bikes. But, 60cm bikes (and frames) are still quite common, and it isn't uncommon to find 61cm and 62cm frames. Perhaps the "comfort bikes" also tend to get taller head tubes too.

It really isn't until one hits 64 to 70cm that they start becoming a bit rare. Still, as Stucky mentions, the really tall bikes do regularly show up on the used market, and are often cheaper than expected as they don't always move quickly.

Personally, I don't think of myself as fitting a single bike. But rather a range of sizes from about 54cm to about 60cm. But, really, if it has 2 pedals and 2 tires... I'll ride it.

I suppose in a sense, the department store bikes are more of one-size-fits-all... but one has them with tires from 12" (or smaller?) up to 32" Designed for short people... but how do they ride for tall riders?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/36877053
Old 12-10-16, 08:14 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
But you often have to wait for the bike you want to show up in your size. Not to mention that when you are at a shop, the response I usually hear is "we can order it".
Old 12-10-16, 08:40 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Diamondback and Mongoose have lowered their quality and gone dept store in recent years. They are not like the DB and 'Gooses of years past. Once upon a time they made some pretty decent bikes.
Old 12-10-16, 10:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Diamondback and Mongoose have lowered their quality and gone dept store in recent years. They are not like the DB and 'Gooses of years past. Once upon a time they made some pretty decent bikes.
I can't speak of Mongoose, but Diamondback is back in a big way.

https://www.diamondback.com/shop/bikes/road
Old 12-10-16, 10:26 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I can't speak of Mongoose, but Diamondback is back in a big way.

https://www.diamondback.com/shop/bikes/road
Thats good news, and WOW, thats quite the line up.
Old 12-10-16, 10:39 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Mongoose also makes decent quality bikes as well - not just the garbage found at big box stores.

Mongoose | Selous Expert
Mongoose | Teocali Expert

And don't forget that they sponsor Chris Akrigg.

Old 12-11-16, 12:40 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
A big box bike, BSO etc is a bike built of very cheap parts through and through. Some might even say inferior. Size is not part of the definition.
But yeah, limiting the number of sizes made is usually part of the cost-cutting operation.
Still, it'd be no problem as such to have an XL or even XXL BSO made.
Old 12-11-16, 01:21 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
tl;dr thread
Originally Posted by OP
Actually, I think the current phrase is "One Size Fits Most" (OSFM). It gives them an out in case someone whines about fit. Personally, I think they should just tell the truth and state "One Size Fits... Maybe".
Old 12-11-16, 03:46 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One note.. I broke a quick release right in front of a Dick's store... so I hoped to get the repair part.
I'm only reading this thread because I need to get up and ride ... but looking out the window at Winter Storm Caly blowing in to town from my vantage point warm under a down quilt in a recliner by the fireplace makes it so hard to get up!

Skewers - something I never considered throwing into my emergency repair kit - but I will this morning before I leave.
Old 12-11-16, 04:32 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
I'm only reading this thread because I need to get up and ride ... but looking out the window at Winter Storm Caly blowing in to town from my vantage point warm under a down quilt in a recliner by the fireplace makes it so hard to get up!

Skewers - something I never considered throwing into my emergency repair kit - but I will this morning before I leave.
That may be the only skewer I've ever snapped like that.

I was towing a trailer, and snagged the lever with the trailer, twisting it, and the threaded end broke. I now frequently am found with levers on the right side

Anyway, the next stop was the Building Supply Store across the street from Dick's where I snagged some #10 threaded rod and a few nuts and washers, which got me home.

See:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...back-home.html
Old 12-11-16, 08:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Big Box for Big Folks! Our Walmart is packed with potential Clydes.
Old 12-11-16, 08:26 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The deciding factor is usually weight. If it weighs more than 40 lbs, it's junk.
Old 12-11-16, 10:35 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If they made Walmart bikes in bigger sizes, how would the fat-asses who buy them fit them in the little motorized shopping carts that they range around the store on???
Old 12-11-16, 12:42 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
They wheel up to customer service and have the "bike shop" attendant bring it to their van lol which is usually parked right in front of the swing doors between the yellow lines where the fire trucks park lol
Old 12-11-16, 01:32 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
The deciding factor is usually weight. If it weighs more than 40 lbs, it's junk.
20 lbs?
Old 12-12-16, 10:52 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Surlys are not too far off from that weight. Fat bikes are definitely in that range regardless of brand. All junk?
Old 12-12-16, 11:34 AM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Idk , if you can base the quality of a bike based on a weight of "x" over...You can have a light weight bike with a heavy beating person on it and that counters that...You can be a "jockey on a horse" so to speak and ride a bike that is considered "heavy" but yet as little impact from the rider. Quality is based on "specs" and not simply total weight factor...which can be important within the intended use but not necessarily overall

When it comes to sizing within a line, what drives that is the intended use of the mfg models. One might find the road bikes have more options in size compared to a mountain bike or even multi use. I dont think that is driven by price and sales channel (walmart example) but rather intended use. Cruisers are basic sizes a 29 is rare but they exist.

If we probably looked at the history of these mfg's we would most likely see some trend in sizing. And I would guess it would be specific to the type and mfg's market..

Last edited by EnjoyinTheRide; 12-12-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 11:59 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have no idea what this thread is about. Are you trying to determine if a bike is a decent bike? Google is your friend. Best way to tell how good a quality a bike is is to be familiar with the component hierarchy.
Old 12-12-16, 12:25 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
A lot of things once upon a time were made pretty decent.
Old 12-12-16, 12:26 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
If they made Walmart bikes in bigger sizes, how would the fat-asses who buy them fit them in the little motorized shopping carts that they range around the store on???
they would have to scoot the snicker bars potato chips and diet pepsi to the side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.