Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Donnelly X'Plor MSO 60TPI SC Adventure Tyre

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 02:33 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 3,032 Posts

Opinions?
Old 09-14-18, 03:42 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
if you're going to run tubes, I like the 60 tpi. version the sidewalls are a bit stiffer allowing for a bit lower psi. The bad news it's almost as heavy as the tubless versions.

On gravel the MSO is fast, on pavement they drag a bit.

If I was to ever buy and ride another MSO I'd pick the 700x36 tubeless version.
Old 09-14-18, 03:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The 120 TPI is much better, but I recently ditched that for Compass Stellacooms 38mm and it is a VAST improvement.

BTW these used to be labelled "Clement" so if you look for Clement MSO opinions, you might find a lot more info.
Old 09-14-18, 04:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Responding to another post- I'm not sure why a 60tpi would be better than 120 for running lower psi with a tube. Skeptical of that for sure.

as for opinion of the MSO tire...
I have 40mm MSO in 120tpi and have loved them. I looked hard at a bunch of other tires a few weeks ago and ended right back at the MAP.
I think they are quite reasonably fast on pavement. It's a 40mm tire made for gravel...it isnt going to be as fast as a quality road tire for obvious reasons and comparing it to a road tire is absurd.
the centerline is smooth and comfortable. The tread has always been good enough for me.

i use tubes and mine have never gotten a flat for what its worth. I think the tires are excellent.

the SC model stands for single compound.
my 40mm 120tpi clincher weight 385g. The tubeless SC weighs 532g in 60tpi(ive read tubeless is 60tpi somewhere). I've also read a stiffer sidewall for tubeless is typical so thst makes sense for it to be 60tpi.
Old 09-14-18, 07:11 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I have this tire (older Clement branding) on the front of my cross bike, 40mm was the widest that’d fit, and I got a good deal on it as a take-off at the LBS. The tire has been solid, no flats (plenty on the back running the 35mm USH).

It is definitely a great tire for gravel and does well (enough) on pavement IMO.
Old 09-14-18, 07:20 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I have 40mm tubeless 60tpi MSO Clements and as others have said they are awesome on gravel/dirt. They are comfortable tires, even going over roots.
Old 09-15-18, 12:21 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 3,032 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. Off the gravel bike for awhile due to med issues but going to return. But anyway looking for a good gravel tire and every response will get the due respect.
Old 09-17-18, 10:46 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I have the Clement X'Plor MSO 40c tires on 700c wheels, came stock on my new Norco Search XR 105. I was intending on switching out to cool skinwall tires, and the WTB Riddlers were at the top of my list, but ya know? i'm liking these Clement MSOs. Not sure which tpi they are, but i'm running tubeless at around 40psi. Just completed a half century two days ago with them, and they felt fine. All on pavement. Dang, might take awhile to wear these out before i can go skinwalls...

eric
fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 09-17-18 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 11:08 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
These are some of the more well regarded gravel tires available. I've used both the 36mm and the 50mm tubeless versions. These tires are tough, durable and roll reasonably well. They also have pretty good traction in wet conditions. The MSOs are heavier and not as fast rolling as some other similarly-sized gravel tires but they also have a bit more tread and are more flat resistant and robust than most. The 50s in particular are heavy (750g) and tough as nails. I've ridden the 50s on true single track, they're almost like an XC race tire. The 36s are significantly lighter and faster rolling and make pretty good racing tires.

Both tires set up tubeless fairly easily for me. I typically ran the 36s at ~40 psi and I'm currently running the 50s at 25-30 psi. The tubeless 50s at 25 psi offer Cadillac ride on even the roughest gravel.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-17-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 08:47 PM
tclong03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
These tires are awesome. Love mine they work get in everything even in mud. They just kept going through the mud. Never spun out with them.
Old 09-22-18, 10:32 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I like mine. They don't feel limiting, and they work well on a pretty wide range of surfaces. Also running 60tpi w tubes.
Old 09-27-18, 04:37 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I recently replaced my Clement MSO tubed after a couple thousand miles with the new Donnelly equivalent in tubeless ready. Both tires were defective from the factory. Once I got them mounted, the tread was molded off center at a certain point on both tires. The bead was even. My LBS that sold them to me took a look and agreed that they were obviously defective. They kindly took them back and told me they'd deal with Donnelly. No more MSO in stock, so I chose some Specialized Pathfinder Pros. Man, are they fast rolling.

Anyway, in my experience, the original MSO (700x40) I had were great. The switch to Donnelly, QC went downhill in my case. Pretty odd to get two bad tires at the same time, but they definitely should have never made it to a retail store.

If you get good ones, the Donnellys are very nice tires. The Pathfinders, IMHO, are better yet, assuming you can deal with the non aggressive tread with the riding you do.
Old 01-01-19, 12:40 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to get some opinions on the Donnelly MSO 36 tubeless. I picked up a pair yesterday at REI and took them out for the first time today and wasn’t all that impressed. First of all they’re heavier than listed online, both tires came in around 530g, not a big deal but that’s not nothing, also when mounted the tires only came to 33-34mm on my HED Belgium + rims. I couldn’t believe it as I’ve never had a tire measure up less than listed with these rims, usually tires end up 2-3mm bigger. Also, the tires were burping sealant when hitting roots and rocks, I’m guessing from the stiff sidewalls? I was running 45-50psi which is more than the 35-40psi I usually run my 35mm Gravelking SK. Also, the front tire has a bit of a wiggle where it seems like the tread isn’t on straight.

As a positive note they were the easiest tires that I’ve ever mounted up tubeless, using just my floor pump. The ride was nice but given the trails I ride I really was hoping to end up closer to 38-39mm.

So, did I get a bad batch or is this par for the course? I think I’m mostly set on returning them but was wondering how other folks have fared with these tires?

Last edited by Jazzguitar; 01-01-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 02:59 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
Also, the tires were burping sealant when hitting roots and rocks
As a positive note they were the easiest tires that I’ve ever mounted up tubeless, using just my floor pump.
Spotted your problem right there. In my experience, some tubeless tire/rim combos just don't work. Easy install is usually a really bad sign for the stability of the system. This is why we need an industry-wide tubeless standard.
Old 01-01-19, 07:41 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
530g for a 36mm tire? ouch!
Old 01-02-19, 02:26 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
530g for a 36mm tire? ouch!
My thoughts exactly, they ended up being heavier than the “heavy” tires they were replacing.
Old 01-04-19, 12:00 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Responding to another post- I'm not sure why a 60tpi would be better than 120 for running lower psi with a tube. Skeptical of that for sure.
Stiffer sidewall provides more protection against pinchflats at low pressures.
Brent
Old 01-07-19, 07:48 AM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Clement MSOs came on my bike stock (700x40), and they were very good. I wore them out and bought another set, now called Donnelly. The second set was garbage. When mounted, they were molded improperly, you could see the center line of the tire wobbling all over the place when you rotated the wheel. It wasn't the mounting...the tires were defective. LBS agreed and was surprised they were that bad. They let me exchange them out. I went with Specialized Pathfinder Pro as the replacement, and they are impressive. Fast, too. For more aggressive stuff (winter), I'm running WTB Resolutes (42), and the Path Pros (38) in summer.

Anyway, in my limited experience of two pair, when the MSOs were Clement branded, they were good (although quite puncture prone with tubes). Now that they are branded Donnelly, poor.

The Spec PP are faster, and the Resolutes are grippier in less than ideal conditions while being surprisingly speedy. Running both tubeless. I went through a bunch of tires until I found these two, which are the best I've come across for harder, drier conditions and wetter, looser conditions respectively.

On the subject of tires, one that I was really unimpressed with are the Teravail Cannonballs. They felt so heavy, dead, wooden that I took them off after a couple hundred miles if that. The Resolutes are far superior IMO.

Last edited by syncro87; 01-07-19 at 07:53 AM. Reason: more info