Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to a Sram groupset - want feedback.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 12:13 AM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale CAADX 105; Wabi Classic Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...It all started with the crankset...Now I'm in the market for a groupset, wheels, and a new CX frame - My question for those who ride Sram:

What is their best price to performance package? I'm more concerned with perfect shifting and performance than weight, but definitely want to drop some pounds. For under $1500, what Sram group and wheels would you buy (leaving my 105 and RS10s leftover for a CX build)?

I'm leaning towards Force, but am also considering Rival with a Force crankset. Possibly Red shifters, but definitely not a total Red build (I need wheels too). I'd like the opinions of those who own (or at least have ridden extensively) both Rival and Force - will I be able to tell a difference? Tentatively I'm looking at full Force group with American Classic Victory or Ksyrium Equipe wheels. Would I be better off with Rival and putting more into wheels, etc? (And yes, I have considered the $999 Moto CX Rival build from BD and swapping the parts, but I still need cranks and would like a little nicer wheelset and Sram brakes).

Input appreciated.
Old 03-22-11, 01:55 AM
Painful Chafe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Price/performance is going to be Rival or Apex. You can get Force cranks for pretty cheap now and would save quite a bit of weight over the Rivals.
Old 03-22-11, 04:55 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would only get Apex if you feel you need over 30 teeth on a rear chainring. That's the biggest advantage...Apex with shifting under load, adjustable shifters, and the more user friendly gearset are reasons to get Apex.
It sounds like Rival might be more appropriate for you.
Old 03-22-11, 06:49 AM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humboldt'sroads
...It all started with the crankset...Now I'm in the market for a groupset, wheels, and a new CX frame - My question for those who ride Sram:

What is their best price to performance package? I'm more concerned with perfect shifting and performance than weight, but definitely want to drop some pounds. For under $1500, what Sram group and wheels would you buy (leaving my 105 and RS10s leftover for a CX build)?

I'm leaning towards Force, but am also considering Rival with a Force crankset. Possibly Red shifters, but definitely not a total Red build (I need wheels too). I'd like the opinions of those who own (or at least have ridden extensively) both Rival and Force - will I be able to tell a difference? Tentatively I'm looking at full Force group with American Classic Victory or Ksyrium Equipe wheels. Would I be better off with Rival and putting more into wheels, etc? (And yes, I have considered the $999 Moto CX Rival build from BD and swapping the parts, but I still need cranks and would like a little nicer wheelset and Sram brakes).

Input appreciated.

2010 Force is the most bang for the buck.
Old 03-22-11, 07:08 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Input appreciated.
- Red shifters, Apex/Rival everything else, possibly a Force crank if you are into the CF.
- Wheels, something durable like DT Swiss RR465 laced 3x to WI's, CK R45's, or Dura-Ace.

- If you just want a complete groupset without thinking about mixing and matching, just get Force.
Old 03-22-11, 08:00 AM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
- Red shifters, Apex/Rival everything else, possibly a Force crank if you are into the CF.
- Wheels, something durable like DT Swiss RR465 laced 3x to WI's, CK R45's, or Dura-Ace.

- If you just want a complete groupset without thinking about mixing and matching, just get Force.
Mixing and matching is OK - I'm probably getting the crankset first (need a compact for a ride with 10k+ climbing next month) since it's Shimano compatible - and will definitely be going Force because of the weight savings (Ok...and aesthetics). Will Red shifters be a performance upgrade over Force if going with Rival derailleurs? Keep in mind as a Shimano user I'm used to slack in the lever...
Old 03-22-11, 08:07 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Mixing and matching is OK - I'm probably getting the crankset first (need a compact for a ride with 10k+ climbing next month) since it's Shimano compatible - and will definitely be going Force because of the weight savings (Ok...and aesthetics). Will Red shifters be a performance upgrade over Force if going with Rival derailleurs? Keep in mind as a Shimano user I'm used to slack in the lever...
Yes.
Old 03-22-11, 11:26 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Cateye
2010 Force is the most bang for the buck.
+1
Old 03-22-11, 11:48 AM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kimconyc
Yes.
Agreed, with the red shifters you'll get zero loss shifting so it'll be improved. I'd go full rival with red shifters. You'll love SRAM, i recently switched from 5600 105 to a full Force setup and its awesome. Double tap is awesome and the hoods are much more comfortable for me compared to Shimano. I still have my 105 bike too but definitely prefer SRAM over Shimano.
Old 03-22-11, 01:36 PM
sqharaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sram Rival and ROL Race SL wheels should be around $1200. That'd be pretty solid, imho!
Old 03-22-11, 04:33 PM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sqharaway
Sram Rival and ROL Race SL wheels should be around $1200. That'd be pretty solid, imho!
Giggidy. Those Rol's are sick! Could still probably afford to go with Force if I wait a bit to upgrade my brakes and cassette. Nice call.
Old 03-22-11, 05:21 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I just swapped my 105 5700 for some SRAM stuff, and I love it. I went with Red shifters & Force for the rest. Spend the extra for the Red shifters, they're awesome. You could go with Rival brakes, and probably FD. Keep Force RD & crank. I went with a 1091r chain & PG-1070 12-28 cassette (not installed yet).
For wheels, Williams 30's are pretty nice, and less that $500.

Peter
Old 03-22-11, 05:22 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rival is the best bang for your buck and really force is only slightly lighter than rival. the main difference is in the crank so you could get a force crank with rival shifters and derailleurs. if you have the extra money then the red shifters are worth it for the zero loss on the right shifter but force doesnt have any real advantages over rival other than weight.

i recently switch from shimano to sram (rival for the reasons above) and love it and wouldnt go back.
Old 03-22-11, 08:49 PM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_FactorX19
Rival is the best bang for your buck and really force is only slightly lighter than rival. the main difference is in the crank so you could get a force crank with rival shifters and derailleurs.
Kind of exactly what I said above. Others seem to think that Force is best bang for the buck. I really don't believe that is true. Rival feels very much like Force. Force is about 1/4lb lighter. So you are paying about $400 more for a couple of grams at the most. I would suggest getting the Force cranks. You will save quite a bit of weight there and they can be had new for about $150.

BTW, I'm not biased. I just swapped my 105 for Force this weekend, but "bang for the buck", I would say Rival and Force cranks.
Old 03-22-11, 09:42 PM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Painful Chafe
Kind of exactly what I said above. Others seem to think that Force is best bang for the buck. I really don't believe that is true. Rival feels very much like Force. Force is about 1/4lb lighter. So you are paying about $400 more for a couple of grams at the most. I would suggest getting the Force cranks. You will save quite a bit of weight there and they can be had new for about $150.

BTW, I'm not biased. I just swapped my 105 for Force this weekend, but "bang for the buck", I would say Rival and Force cranks.
Where do you do your shopping? I'd convinced on a Force crankset and intend to pick one up this weekend.
Old 03-22-11, 09:45 PM
sijray21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best bang for your buck:
Force Crank
Rival everything else

best value for an entire groupset: Rival

bought a compact GXP force crank ('07) from competitive cyclist a little while ago for $150. I switched it from a shimano 5600 double crank and i couldn't be happier (small upgrade, but worth it).

Last edited by sijray21; 03-22-11 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 09:48 PM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you do your shopping? I'd convinced on a Force crankset and intend to pick one up this weekend.
I've seen a couple for sale on CL new for $150. I got a set of Reds in great condition with unused rings a month ago for $200 on CL. It takes time and patience to shop on craigslist, but there are some amazing deals. There are CL search engines that will do a nationwide search. If I see something I want to buy, I have the seller bring the item to a Mail Boxes Etc. or Pack Mail, I get on the phone with the employee and make sure the item is in the box and paypal the seller right then. It works. I just picked up a set of NIB '08 S-Works shoes for $95 two weeks ago.

Last edited by Painful Chafe; 03-22-11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 09:50 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really dont think the Force crankset is significantly better than the Rival one. Best go with full Rival. Though I guess I was able to piece out my Force groupset for $900...
Old 03-22-11, 09:52 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rival or Force with the red shifters... though I would go with a KMC chain save some money and weight. I have riden full groups of Rival Force and Red they all work and mix/match well.
Old 03-22-11, 09:53 PM
sijray21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val23708
I really dont think the Force crankset is significantly better than the Rival one. Best go with full Rival. Though I guess I was able to piece out my Force groupset for $900...
it is when all you need is a bb30 crank ;-) (the reason i bought one instead of a Rival crank)
Old 03-22-11, 11:09 PM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being that this whole idea began with getting away from an FSA crankset, I definitely have no problem going quality here. With BB30 my only real options are overpriced FSA schwag or Sram (oh darn...) so I've decided to take on this grand project as to not be the guy with a Sram crankset and Shimano drivetrain. And of course the fact I've been looking for an excuse to start a Sram build, which definitely had a role in my decision making process...
Old 03-22-11, 11:41 PM
iqbal624

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i Love my red/force mix. My full force wasn't bad either. . .

I have 2009 Force group i'd sell you. Email me: iqbal624@me.com
Old 03-23-11, 01:27 PM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iqbal624
i Love my red/force mix. My full force wasn't bad either. . .

I have 2009 Force group i'd sell you. Email me: iqbal624@me.com
I'll definitely consider this - how many miles do you have on the group?
Old 03-23-11, 01:35 PM
sqharaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giggidy. Those Rol's are sick! Could still probably afford to go with Force if I wait a bit to upgrade my brakes and cassette. Nice call.
For what it's worth, I have the Race SLs and love them. Force + Race SLs would be awesome!
Old 03-23-11, 02:32 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always try to get the best I can afford at that time and ended up with Red shifters/crank and Force derailleurs.

I agree with the peeps that mentioned the Rival group and Force crank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.