Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

How to lighten my carbon fiber triathalon bike?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 07:22 PM
jimmyw

Bikes: 2009 Quintana Roo Seduza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I've been competing in triathlons now for about 2 years as a serious age group contender on a 2009 quintana roo seduza. I would like race with a lighter bike without going crazy and getting a brand new cervelo p4 or something. I like my bike but feel that the components are what brings the weight of my large (58) bike up to around 20 lbs despite the lightweight carbon fiber frame. Does anyone know which components should be upgraded on my stock seduza (specs below) to reduce the overall weight?

Groupset Shimano Dura Ace Mix
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra SL
Shifters Shimano Dura Ace bar ends
Crank FSA Omega Compact, 50x34 T
Bottom Bracket FSA MegaExo
Cassette Shimano 105
Chain Shimano 105
Brakes TRP R310
Levers Tektro RX4.1
General Specs
Frame Quintana Roo Seduza Carbon frame
Fork Quintana Roo aero carbon fork
Headset FSA Orbit IS
Basebar VisionTech Alloy basebar
Aerobar VisionTech Alloy aerobar
Stem Quintana Roo, 26.0
Seat Post Alloy aero
Saddle Quintana Roo triathlon
Pedals N/A (I use shimano ultegra 6700 pedals)
WHEELSET
Wheelset Alex 220 clincher
Tires Continental Ultra Race
Old 10-22-11, 09:25 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Weight is irrelevant in 95% of triathlons, so I personally wouldn't be bothered about the total weight.

What I would swap out for races from the well specced parts list above is an aero wheelset. If you are willing to use tubulars you should be able to loose over 1/2 kg by swapping out the wheels (keep existing for training) with a deeper carbon offering which will be far more aero than the shallow Alex rims.
Old 10-27-11, 09:44 AM
hyperlitenerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just repeating what Dalai said.

Unless you have a major hill on course, weight really wont matter much. You are better off finding components that will make you more efficient. Race wheels will make a difference. You already have a good base bar and aerobars. Your drivetrain is fine, if something breaks, and you have the money go for the DA stuff, but no need to replace it now. I would spend some good money on a fit, you will be surprised the speed you will gain when you are setup correctly. Oh an aero helmet can shave off some time too.
Old 10-27-11, 04:36 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hyperlitenerd
I would spend some good money on a fit, you will be surprised the speed you will gain when you are setup correctly. Oh an aero helmet can shave off some time too.
+1000

I found a saving of 43 Watts at 40 km/hr from what I thought was a reasonable position at my local wind tunnel back in 2008. All done by only swapping aero helmets, dropping 2cm of spacers and learning to 'turtle' my head and shrug my shoulders.

Last edited by Dalai; 10-27-11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 01:25 PM
corynardin

Bikes: Airborne Manhattan Project, Quinta Roo Kilo, Schwinn Passage

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your concern with weight? From your introduction it seems as if you are correlating less weight with a higher podium. I assume that the other responders came to the same conclusion since none of them actually addressed your question. If we are assuming correctly than I agree with them (for non-drafting triathlons). TT bikes are always heavier than a similar road bike. The more aero the rim, the heavier they are (for comparable quality). The same with helmets.

Assuming that you have all the aero aspects nailed down, bike fit with ideal posture, aero helmet, TT bike frame and aero wheels, than the absolute best place to take off pounds is on yourself and not your bike. Not only will you see the benefit on the bike but also on the run. You would have to spend about a grand to loose 1/2 a pound on your bike.
Old 11-09-11, 05:09 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that weight isn't a big deal; but your money is your money.

The crank and wheels are probably a good start though.
Old 11-09-11, 07:00 PM
jasonball
Auburn Fan

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tri lightening up the main load. the rider. there is your best bang for your buck. just compare of many grams your going to loose by getting a new set up of wheels that cost 800. or the lbs you can lose and cost 80.
Old 11-10-11, 01:52 AM
jordo_99

Bikes: KHS John Howard (6500 Ultegra) - Quattro Assi XXX (6510 Ultegra/Neuvation wheels) - Gary Fisher Tasajara (Deore/LX)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your wheelset is going to be by far the easiest way to lose weight off your bike.

I would probably go with aero wheels over light climbing wheels for triathlon though.

Swapping out all your 105 parts for dura ace shouldn't save you more than a a few hundred grams and it's going to get costly going that route.

Handlebars are also another place where you can drop a bit of weight by going with carbon but that can get pretty expensive as well.
Old 12-10-11, 08:01 AM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares about weight? This is a Tri bike not a road bike were you will be spending all day climbing.
Old 12-20-11, 12:00 PM
back4more

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming you have all the areoness your bkie is capable of then shaving weight can always help. Off the top of my head you can replace your componenets with SRAM Red including Cassette, swap your chain for a KMC X10SL, Zero Gravity breaks, 3T stem and aero bars, Speedplay Pedals, Zipp post, Cannondale Hollow gram cranks, tubular wheelset. etc.