Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

tri shorts over compression shorts

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 09:11 AM
people_atease

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi guys,

I have just bought a pair of 2xu tri shorts with pockets and a pair of 2xu compression shorts. Can i wear them together while racing? Would it do any damage to the material? Because my compression shorts is tighter than my tri shorts..., guess it's the difference in the material.

The tri shorts fit me though, just that the compression shorts really compress better!

Thanks!
Toby
Old 12-09-11, 11:06 AM
corynardin

Bikes: Airborne Manhattan Project, Quinta Roo Kilo, Schwinn Passage

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure why you would want to? What function would the tri shorts serve other than a minimal amount of padding?

The problem I would worry about is over compression. The idea of compression is to increase blood flow, but by doubling up you run the risk of cutting off blood flow, which would be counter productive and uncomfortable. That may not happen depending on how loose your tri shorts are.

Going with the principal if never try anything new on race day, my suggestion would be to try it out several times before any races and see how it feels. If you are doing winter trainer rides you could easily ditch it within five minutes if it doesn't feel right and not worry about damaging anything or missing a work out. Where as if you try it out on a thirty mile road ride and give minutes in it doesn't feel right you are going to have to turn around and probably scrap the work out, or push through and possibly damage your expensive new gear or be uncomfortable for a couple hours. Even worse would be if it started to get uncomfortable halfway through because then you don't have three option to bale.
Old 12-09-11, 01:42 PM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you want to? 2xu makes compression tri shorts.