Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Are you car free? What's your family situation?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: If you are car free, what is your family situation?
I am car free, single, and live alone.
37.04%
I am car free, do not live with my family, have no children, but do not live alone.
14.81%
I am car free and unmarried, but have one child with whom I live.
3.70%
I am car free and unmarried, but have two or more children with whom I live.
0%
I am car free, widowed, and have one or more children who live with me.
0%
I am car free, divorced, and have one or more children who live with me at least some of the time.
3.70%
I am car free married, and have one child who lives with me.
14.81%
I am car free married, and have two or more children who live with me.
11.11%
I am car free, married, have one or more children, but they no longer live with me.
7.41%
I am car free, married, but have no children.
7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 08:12 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

I'm not car free, although I am car light: I ride more miles in a typical week than I drive, I ride my bicycle to work, I typically use the car twice a week, and my wife and I together own one vehicle and we only buy gas once a month (except when we go on vacation to visit family in other states).

I don't think being car free is likely to be an option for me any time soon. My wife is not interested in bicycling in the winter, and there certainly are some occasions where owning a car is very convenient. And since our car is paid for, it isn't a huge expense, although one I do somewhat begrudge having to pay.

But I know that some people 'here' have families of different sizes, and don't own cars. So whether you have a family or not, please take this poll IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE CAR FREE.

For the purposes of this poll, being car free means that no-one in your household owns, leases, has exclusive use of (e.g., a company car or police car), or regularly drives a car. Regularly driving, I hereby arbitrarily declare, means driving more than twice in a typical month; if you rent a car for a vacation and drive it every day for two weeks, but only drive a car once or twice a month for the rest of the year, you still qualify. You still qualify if you ride in taxicabs now and then, get occasional rides with friends, rent a car while on vacation, etc.

Why am I asking this question? Curiosity. I don't plan to do anything scientific with the data, but I am interested in how families (such as mine) live without a car in towns that have, in this country, been too often designed or re-designed for the convenience of the personal automobile.

N.B., The poll only allows 10 options.

P.S., I'm sorry about the duplication--I'm not sure how it happened.

Last edited by storckm; 04-29-13 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 10:35 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
What are you trying to prove or demonstrate with this poll?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-29-13, 10:38 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Oops, sorry, I see now that you gave as a reason, "Curiosity."

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-29-13, 10:59 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Just to clarify, Roody: I've seen it assumed that to live without a car, it's necessary, or at least much easier, to be single, or at least not have children. I know that there are a number of people who are car free and do have children, and I'm wondering how whether this is a tiny minority, or a significant number. I'd also find it encouraging if a lot of people who have more than just a few children were able to live without cars. Myself, I'd appreciate the encouragement, as well as any practical advice about how it's managed.
Old 04-29-13, 11:13 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by storckm
Just to clarify, Roody: I've seen it assumed that to live without a car, it's necessary, or at least much easier, to be single, or at least not have children. I know that there are a number of people who are car free and do have children, and I'm wondering how whether this is a tiny minority, or a significant number. I'd also find it encouraging if a lot of people who have more than just a few children were able to live without cars. Myself, I'd appreciate the encouragement, as well as any practical advice about how it's managed.
I think you'd get your questions answered better if you asked them directly.

For example, it might be better to start a thread titled, "Please give encouragement and advice about living carfree with young children." I think that would give you much more useful information, and also be more fun for the rest of us (probably the majority) who don't fit into your categories.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-29-13, 07:34 PM
GodsBassist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 7 year old who just lost his training wheels, so we don't ride the trail a bike anymore. I live in suburbia but made a conscious effort to select my apartment based on its proximity to different things.

The most empowering thing is that we live literally across the street from his daycare where he gets transportation to school and back. This means I can drop him off and ride away during the week. I'm military so we move quite a bit and the last 3 apartments have been either across the street or on the other side of the parking lot, hundreds of feet away from his daycare providers. Every time we move I find a place to live with this as the most important factor.

We go shopping for groceries once a weekend, and it's 3 miles away on the bike trail. Normally we live much closer to a grocery store, but just couldn't manage it this iteration. He can easily ride 6 miles out and 6 back, as long as there's enough of a distraction where we're going... lunch, a park, movie theatre, ice cream. The first time we went that far, I was worried that it would be too much for him but when we got back home, he wanted to play outside some more. On his bike of course.
Old 04-29-13, 09:06 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I was looking for carfree, married, wife lives outside the country, kids moved out, cat dead... couldn't find it.

I know several people in my area who are carfree. One of them is married and has about 5 kids. Last time I talked to him he was complaining about the local store being surrounded by nasty traffic, so he now prefers to travel 5 miles over to my grocery store which is just off a bike trail.

I think where you life matters more than the number of kids.
Old 04-29-13, 09:08 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I was looking for carfree, married, wife lives outside the country, kids moved out, cat dead... couldn't find it.

I know several people in my area who are carfree. One of them is married and has about 5 kids. Last time I talked to him he was complaining about the local store being surrounded by nasty traffic, so he now prefers to travel 5 miles over to my grocery store which is just off a bike trail.

I think where you life matters more than the number of kids. Carfree living would be so easy if you lived a couple of blocks from schools and groceries and if you were situated either on a nice bike route or a good transit route.
Old 04-29-13, 09:35 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by gerv

I think where you life matters more than the number of kids. Carfree living would be so easy if you lived a couple of blocks from schools and groceries and if you were situated either on a nice bike route or a good transit route.
Sorry about the cat.

Me, I'm single, lived alone but grown son moved in with me, along with his wife, their young son, wife's mother and two cats who are very much alive (especially around 3 AM).

My DIL's mother owns a car, so I'm car light after being carfree for many years. They do most of the shopping and we usually take the car for family activities, but I do my own activities on bike, bus, or walking. I do a lot of fun things with my grandson and less often my son. The grandson will be 14 next month. For the last couple years he has been able to keep up on the bike, but now he has done the growth spurt so he will be faster and stronger than me this summer. And so it goes....

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-30-13, 06:59 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
I am carlighter while my truck is a crash loaner. If that is crashed too, that would raise my insurance rate, which I plan to stop paying soon. If it still runs later I can drive to bike events next month. After delivering it I had a nice ride home past rush hour traffic. I saw two cars with hoods up and one steaming Beemer. I will never be completely carfree as long as I live in Metro Detroit.
Old 04-30-13, 07:28 PM
rockmom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a husband, a 13 year old daughter, and an almost 10 year old son. We belong to a car share, which mostly gets used to take the 13 year old to orthodontist appointments. Mostly we bus, bike, or walk and have since before the kids were born. The kids do get rides with friends' parents when the husband and I have to be somewhere else.
Old 04-30-13, 08:20 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Me, I'm single, lived alone but grown son moved in with me, along with his wife, their young son, wife's mother and two cats who are very much alive (especially around 3 AM).
Sounds like an extended family... rare in North America to be living under one roof.

Originally Posted by Zedoo
I will never be completely carfree as long as I live in Metro Detroit.
If you keep doing it you will be car lighter and lighter. Which is good.
Old 04-30-13, 08:23 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rockmom
I've got a husband, a 13 year old daughter, and an almost 10 year old son. We belong to a car share, which mostly gets used to take the 13 year old to orthodontist appointments. Mostly we bus, bike, or walk and have since before the kids were born. The kids do get rides with friends' parents when the husband and I have to be somewhere else.
I like all these stories. Each one has a little lesson or idea for me. Sort of glad the posters here are from a varying backgrounds and have widely varying stories to tell.
Old 04-30-13, 08:35 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was carfree before I had kids and got married. Hubby has ZERO interest in riding a bike or being "car light" in any way, shape, or form(we literally live 2 miles from his work ON A BIKE TRAIL and he won't even consider commuting. But that doesn't mean that I can't live carfree or "car light" when it is my choice to do so. I have a home daycare and transporting children to/from school is part of my job(so I don't count that as a choice either) but for groceries...bike. For errands...bike. Fun.....bike. I basically choose the bike whenever I can.
We have 2 sons, ages 12 & 5. If they wanna come with me, fine. If not, we work around when I can go alone.
I can't force someone to be car free or light. But in the same token, neither can I be forced to take the van. So we have sortof came to an understanding in our house. I have a fat bike for winter, cargo bike for groceries, and road bike for fast & light trips(like depositing of income checks, etc). Would it be easier if we all agreed...yes. But we don't and respect it. Period.
If I didn't have daycare, hubby knows I wouldn't own a vehicle. I didn't before and was fine. I even had an infant and toddler on my own for a while with no vehicle. We took a cab or a city bus if it was cold. I used a trailer for him and small groceries. We also lived within 6 blocks of a grocery store.
Old 05-01-13, 04:42 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes
I was carfree before I had kids and got married. Hubby has ZERO interest in riding a bike or being "car light" in any way, shape, or form(we literally live 2 miles from his work ON A BIKE TRAIL and he won't even consider commuting. But that doesn't mean that I can't live carfree or "car light" when it is my choice to do so. I have a home daycare and transporting children to/from school is part of my job(so I don't count that as a choice either) but for groceries...bike. For errands...bike. Fun.....bike. I basically choose the bike whenever I can.
We have 2 sons, ages 12 & 5. If they wanna come with me, fine. If not, we work around when I can go alone.
I can't force someone to be car free or light. But in the same token, neither can I be forced to take the van. So we have sortof came to an understanding in our house. I have a fat bike for winter, cargo bike for groceries, and road bike for fast & light trips(like depositing of income checks, etc). Would it be easier if we all agreed...yes. But we don't and respect it. Period.
If I didn't have daycare, hubby knows I wouldn't own a vehicle. I didn't before and was fine. I even had an infant and toddler on my own for a while with no vehicle. We took a cab or a city bus if it was cold. I used a trailer for him and small groceries. We also lived within 6 blocks of a grocery store.
I am impressed with your commitment to live a lifestyle that is important to you when it would be much easier for you to just go with the flow.

Cheers to you!
Old 05-01-13, 09:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cycleobsidian

I am impressed with your commitment to live a lifestyle that is important to you when it would be much easier for you to just go with the flow.

Cheers to you!
I would say the same to you. Cheers!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-01-13, 10:15 AM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The closest to my situation is the first option, but it's not fully accurate.

I'm car-light, not yet car-free although close. Also, I'm a widower with no children. For the first couple of years I was married, we were nowhere close to car-free or car-light, but we made the transition towards car-light living after that. When my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and especially towards the end when she required more care, car-free and car-light were no longer possible.

Without the cancer diagnosis, it is likely we would have had a car-light life, but not a car-free life. We were already at the point of trip planning and combining errands.

Today, the car is used almost exclusively for work and for a few out-of-town trips each year.
Old 05-02-13, 11:12 PM
CarFreeFam4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Married with two kids, ages 5 and 10 here. We've been car-free since the littlest was under a year old. Living car-free with kids is undoubtedly more challenging than without kids. However, I'm not sure there is much in life that is easier with small children . . .
Old 05-03-13, 03:24 PM
rockmom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFreeFam4
Married with two kids, ages 5 and 10 here. We've been car-free since the littlest was under a year old. Living car-free with kids is undoubtedly more challenging than without kids. However, I'm not sure there is much in life that is easier with small children . . .
Everything is harder with small children. Except getting puked on, that becomes disturbingly easier.
Old 05-03-13, 03:54 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Divorced. Was car-free when single, car-light when married, now back to car-free. Now that I'm unemployed, I'm even bike-light. I hardly go anywhere.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-03-13, 10:32 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Originally Posted by rockmom
Except getting puked on, that becomes disturbingly easier.
That's pretty funny, and quite true. All squeamishness regarding bodily fluids seems to disappear.

My five year old learned how to ride her bicycle about three weeks ago, and want to bicycle everywhere. She went on a short ride with her mother this morning (about 3 miles round trip) and then, when I announced that I was going to go on a little bike ride before eating lunch and then settling down to some grading, she wanted to come with me. The other children all decided to come too, and we ended up riding about four miles before she decided she wanted to turn around. It took more than three hours in all, with a few stops. She had insisted on riding her purple bicycle with 12" wheels, rather than her 16" wheel bicycle, which fits her better and lets her go a bit faster.
Old 05-04-13, 05:40 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by storckm
That's pretty funny, and quite true. All squeamishness regarding bodily fluids seems to disappear.

My five year old learned how to ride her bicycle about three weeks ago, and want to bicycle everywhere. She went on a short ride with her mother this morning (about 3 miles round trip) and then, when I announced that I was going to go on a little bike ride before eating lunch and then settling down to some grading, she wanted to come with me. The other children all decided to come too, and we ended up riding about four miles before she decided she wanted to turn around. It took more than three hours in all, with a few stops. She had insisted on riding her purple bicycle with 12" wheels, rather than her 16" wheel bicycle, which fits her better and lets her go a bit faster.
I used to schedule family rides with another family that had two children of similar ages to mine. We knew the littlest guy was good for about a 12 mile ride max. The two main rules were: it had to be fun and the slowest/smallest riders set the pace. We had some great rides that way and explored a lot of countryside. FWIW the littlest guy was about 7-8 years old and rode a BMX style bike with a 5 speed gear cluster.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-04-14, 04:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Out of curiosity, let's see the status of this year's car free forumites.
Old 06-04-14, 05:42 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Carfree, one grown child who lives with us.

I was out early this morning and saw dozens of parents taking their kids to school on their bikes. This is something I never used to see before we built our physically separated bike lanes.
Old 06-04-14, 06:47 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
TC are you fishing for broke people who still live at home?? Then I will just come out and say it......jeez
We are the 99%! *Raises fist in air*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.