Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camping, Stealth Camping, Warmshowers.org, ETC

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Where do you spend the night?
Legit Campsite
46.51%
Stealth Camping
30.23%
WarmShowers.org or similar site
4.65%
Hotel
6.98%
Other
11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Camping, Stealth Camping, Warmshowers.org, ETC

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 10:42 AM
RedRider2009

Bikes: 2008 Trek 1.5, 2010 Trek Soho S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, I am enjoying these responses. I am thinking of going on my first "long" tour in May and am trying to get more comfortable/aware of all my options. I am a college student, so my funds are limited. Previously, I have only been on a few overnight bike trips.

The thoughts that you mentioned about the name of warmshowers.org are pretty funny! When I have mentioned that name to my friends, they have also inquired about it.
Old 02-02-12, 04:52 PM
john426

Bikes: Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use couchsurfing. They have many more members than warmshowers.

John
Old 02-02-12, 05:35 PM
reed523

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRider2009
Interesting, I am enjoying these responses. I am thinking of going on my first "long" tour in May and am trying to get more comfortable/aware of all my options. I am a college student, so my funds are limited. Previously, I have only been on a few overnight bike trips.

The thoughts that you mentioned about the name of warmshowers.org are pretty funny! When I have mentioned that name to my friends, they have also inquired about it.
I do not understand some of the comments? Take a look at my crazy guy journal and check out what I experienced (first WS host was on Day 18). If the food pictures alone don't win you over, you are a tough case.
Old 02-02-12, 07:13 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^I don`t think it`s about the organization or the people so much as the name. At least that`s true in my case. I`ve enjoyed the few experiences I`ve had with WS, and only wish I`d heard of it and signed up sooner, but the name does ring a bit off to me. Moreso for Couchsurfing, though I`m not a member there.
Old 02-02-12, 09:28 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
^^I don`t think it`s about the organization or the people so much as the name. At least that`s true in my case. I`ve enjoyed the few experiences I`ve had with WS, and only wish I`d heard of it and signed up sooner, but the name does ring a bit off to me.
I hear they're changing their name, from "Warm Showers" to "Humid Hot-Tub".

My bands:
Old 02-03-12, 01:25 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
I hear they're changing their name, from "Warm Showers" to "Humid Hot-Tub".
Haha- That ought to go over better! I`m afraid to ask what Couch Surfing will be renamed as!
Old 02-03-12, 11:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Add Hostelling .. hotels are less social places, hostels are for travelers
not on a business trip.
Some like the Belgian Hostel in Kortrijk, has beer another social opportunity.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-03-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-03-12, 04:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yes ... I was surprised hostels weren't included in the list. I have a "life-time" membership with Hostelling International and have stayed in many hostels over the years. They can be a really good option.

They can also be a very financially viable option. Many times they run somewhere around $15-$25 per person ... and the nearby campground wants $20-$30 for a little patch of grass where you can pitch your tent. If you're travelling solo, it would be less expensive to go with the hostel. Even as a couple, it's comparable.

My cycling partner and I rolled up to one campground in Queensland late one evening to inquire about a place to pitch our tent. We arrived a few minutes after they closed and were informed that they were full, but for $30 we could pitch our tent ... and we could not use the toilet facilities. We left and went about half a block away to the hostel, and got beds for $20 each in the cleanest, most pristine hostel I had ever seen. And there were only 2 other people (a mother and little girl) in the entire building.
Old 02-03-12, 08:30 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes ... I was surprised hostels weren't included in the list. I have a "life-time" membership with Hostelling International and have stayed in many hostels over the years. They can be a really good option.

They can also be a very financially viable option. Many times they run somewhere around $15-$25 per person ... and the nearby campground wants $20-$30 for a little patch of grass where you can pitch your tent. If you're travelling solo, it would be less expensive to go with the hostel. Even as a couple, it's comparable.

My cycling partner and I rolled up to one campground in Queensland late one evening to inquire about a place to pitch our tent. We arrived a few minutes after they closed and were informed that they were full, but for $30 we could pitch our tent ... and we could not use the toilet facilities. We left and went about half a block away to the hostel, and got beds for $20 each in the cleanest, most pristine hostel I had ever seen. And there were only 2 other people (a mother and little girl) in the entire building.
I wish we had more hostels in my area. I've stayed at only two of them, but I've never had a bad experience. Given the fact that there's only one hostel in all of New York City, I can't help but wonder if the metro-New York City mentality somehow discourages them.

My bands:
Old 02-04-12, 04:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
I wish we had more hostels in my area. I've stayed at only two of them, but I've never had a bad experience. Given the fact that there's only one hostel in all of New York City, I can't help but wonder if the metro-New York City mentality somehow discourages them.
There don't seem to be very many hostels in the US at all for some reason. One I stayed in (in San Francisco) was OK ... one Rowan and I stayed in (in Boulder) left something to be desired.

Here in Australia it seems like every other town has one.
Old 02-05-12, 07:47 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
all of the above
i have stealthed, wsl, yogi bear/commercial, state camp grounded.
sometimes hotel or motel. anyone stay at hi (ayh)? didn't see that option either = "other"
t