Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who's planning or thinking of doing a Cross Country ride this year?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 05:16 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I think a do over would really be fun. It sounds like the wife might be willing??? The daughters might have more influence on her Decision with the new grandsons though.

Right now ride planning calls for 2 weeks riding in Colorado in June, one week in Wyoming in July and a cross state trip in NC in October. That might just be my excursions for this year. We'll see.....
Old 02-27-17, 07:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,554 Times in 7,330 Posts
I am always thinking of riding across the county again, but until I get the time it's not going to happen.

Recently booked a flight to Missoula for a two-week trip in northwest Montana and Idaho in June. I am sure I will do at least one other week or so tour closer to home and several shorter ones, especially since I now get 5 weeks of vacation starting this year.
Old 02-27-17, 02:49 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am always thinking of riding across the county again, but until I get the time it's not going to happen.

Recently booked a flight to Missoula for a two-week trip in northwest Montana and Idaho in June. I am sure I will do at least one other week or so tour closer to home and several shorter ones, especially since I now get 5 weeks of vacation starting this year.
I enjoyed riding through Idaho as much as any state I passed through. Unfortunately I only did 17 miles in Montana! I'd love to hear how your trip goes. I'd love to get back out that way again.
Old 02-27-17, 03:09 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jppe
I enjoyed riding through Idaho as much as any state I passed through. Unfortunately I only did 17 miles in Montana!
Here is the planned route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19192705

I will only be in ID one night. (Wallace). I rode across the panhandle twice, staying in Sandpoint both times. The out and back to Glacier National Park may be somewhat pointless. They are getting a lot of snow this winter so Going to the Sun Road up to Logan Pass might not be fully open. While I would like to do it, I have done it three times before, so it won't be a total disappointment if I cannot make it to the pass.

I have done loops before out of Missoula in '09, '11, '14 and '16. It's quite convenient. I arrive from Philly in the early afternoon. The campground in town in 3 miles from the airport and about a five minute walk to the Missoula REI. I ship my bike and camp stove out there using bikeflights.com. REI has the bike ready for me to ride when I arrive and stores my bike box, and I can pick up fuel for my stove and any last minute items I might need at the same time. When I finish, I give REI the bike, stove and shipping documents and go have a beer.

Some photos from my 2016 loop from Missoula SE to Ennis with a detour through the Pioneer Mountains then north and west through Butte, Anaconda and Phillipsburg before heading down along the famed Rock Creek to Clinton and back to Missoula. It was a warm spring so not as many snow covered peaks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...h/27981747476/
Old 02-28-17, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Trans America self contained race -Tour starts from Astoria for another year 1st weekend in June, I expect,

Last year there was a 2nd Yorktown Va starting group headed the other way..
Old 02-28-17, 12:14 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I just need to figure out a way to do one in 4-5 weeks, .

I think the West is the best part of the cross country trip and I live in the midwest. So I've been thinking of starting on the west coast and finishing up at my home. That cuts the distance down considerably and that is doable in 4-5 weeks since we're talking 2,000 miles or less. It also means that I have to deal with a bike on a plane for only one leg of the trip which is a plus as well.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-28-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 02:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

5 weeks is very doable if you can do about 100 miles a day for the 3400 miles. That's not really all that bad once you get started. 2000 miles over that time period would be very doable. I was very comfortable doing about 85 miles a day. I think I did 9-100+ milers on my 41 rides. Of course it would be easier if you shared the front with some others.

Don't dismiss the idea. Keep seriously exploring the idea. I continued to tell people around the time I retired that I was going to ride my bike across the US without much investigating into how or when. I finally had to just do what I said I was going to do......
Old 02-28-17, 02:37 PM
bikemig 

100 miles a day is doable but it's not what I want to do on a bike trip. Around 400 a week works for me. That's why I'm thinking of doing a half trip from the west coast to the midwest and spend the bulk of the trip in the mountains of the west.
Old 02-28-17, 03:14 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bikemig
100 miles a day is doable but it's not what I want to do on a bike trip.

I also believe he had SAG. Big difference between that style and fully self-contained. Personally, I don't like to get much over 65 unless there isn't much climbing involved. And it's nice to have some time to explore beautiful areas, possibly with something like a hike.

This looks like it will be the hardest day of my upcoming tour:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18149964

Only 52 miles (plus another few out to the campground from town), but close to 4,700' of climbing. That second little hump entails 3.5 miles of climbing on dirt and 3.5 miles of descending on dirt, with grades close to 9% in places. The final pass exceeds 9% near the summit. Moreover, the overwhelming majority of climbing comes in the first 28 miles. Murray, at mile 19, is the only place to get any food and water (assuming the place is open), so I will have to carry snacks and plenty of water.
Old 02-28-17, 03:23 PM
bikemig 

I also believe he had SAG. Big difference between that style and fully self-contained. Personally, I don't like to get much over 65 unless there isn't much climbing involved. And it's nice to have some time to explore beautiful areas, possibly with something like a hike.

This looks like it will be the hardest day of my upcoming tour:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18149964

Only 52 miles (plus another few out to the campground from town), but close to 4,700' of climbing. That second little hump entails 3.5 miles of climbing on dirt and 3.5 miles of descending on dirt, with grades close to 9% in places. The final pass exceeds 9% near the summit. Moreover, the overwhelming majority of climbing comes in the first 28 miles. Murray, at mile 19, is the only place to get any food and water (assuming the place is open), so I will have to carry snacks and plenty of water.
Good point about a SAG and mileage. This trip looks beautiful; looking forward to seeing the pics when you post them.
Old 02-28-17, 03:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I just need to figure out a way to do one in 4-5 weeks, .
People do the Camino del Santiago Compostello Pilgramage in sections, as time permits .

I see no reason why you cannot do a sectional version of the trans contenental ride ,

Return to where you left off , then continue from there , to enjoy being there , why race thru?

Old 02-28-17, 03:31 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Here is the planned route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19192705

I will only be in ID one night. (Wallace). I rode across the panhandle twice, staying in Sandpoint both times. The out and back to Glacier National Park may be somewhat pointless. They are getting a lot of snow this winter so Going to the Sun Road up to Logan Pass might not be fully open. While I would like to do it, I have done it three times before, so it won't be a total disappointment if I cannot make it to the pass.

I have done loops before out of Missoula in '09, '11, '14 and '16. It's quite convenient. I arrive from Philly in the early afternoon. The campground in town in 3 miles from the airport and about a five minute walk to the Missoula REI. I ship my bike and camp stove out there using bikeflights.com. REI has the bike ready for me to ride when I arrive and stores my bike box, and I can pick up fuel for my stove and any last minute items I might need at the same time. When I finish, I give REI the bike, stove and shipping documents and go have a beer.

Some photos from my 2016 loop from Missoula SE to Ennis with a detour through the Pioneer Mountains then north and west through Butte, Anaconda and Phillipsburg before heading down along the famed Rock Creek to Clinton and back to Missoula. It was a warm spring so not as many snow covered peaks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...h/27981747476/

Incredible photos. You just gotta love cows!! I talked to every herd I rode by.
Old 02-28-17, 03:32 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
People do the Camino del Santiago Compostello Pilgramage in sections, as time permits .

I see no reason why you cannot do a sectional version of the trans contenental ride ,

Return to where you left off , then continue from there , to enjoy being there , why race thru?

I'm not racing; been there, done that, . I like the west best of all. I could be happy just doing long trips out West. Few if any bugs, the weather tends to be not as hot, and the scenery is as good as it gets.
Old 02-28-17, 03:33 PM
bikemig 

+ 1 on the quality of the pics. I like the food shots as well. @indyfabz is quite the camping gourmet chef.
Old 03-11-17, 05:23 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
As any civilized person should. One day last year, I spoke to a small group of around a dozen cows. When I reached the far end of their field, I turned around a minute, and the herd had magically grown to somewhere around 100, and they were all following me!!! I still don't know where the others were hiding, but had a good little laugh over it.
Old 03-11-17, 05:36 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I forgot what the topic was, lol. I'm planning to ride most of the Ohio (River) To (Lake) Erie Trail in reverse, towards Cincinnati, then take US route 50 out to Colorado, probably Pueblo. I'm not really a mountain guy, but the Great Plains looks doable.
Old 03-12-17, 03:34 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I think a do over would really be fun. It sounds like the wife might be willing??? The daughters might have more influence on her Decision with the new grandsons though.

Right now ride planning calls for 2 weeks riding in Colorado in June, one week in Wyoming in July and a cross state trip in NC in October. That might just be my excursions for this year. We'll see.....
Let me know about Colorado in June, that might be achievable.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-16-17, 08:41 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Let me know about Colorado in June, that might be achievable.
I'm signed up for Ride the Rockies June 10-17. I'm thinking of staying and doing Bike Tour Colorado the next week. Heck, I'm retired why not???
Old 02-22-18, 09:23 AM
samanthadavies

Bikes: cervelo s3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on doing a roadtrip with my family from San Diego all the way up the coast.
We were thinking about renting a caravan but too afraid we'll just end up wanting to kill each other from all the time spent in just a small space.
Any recommendations?
Old 02-22-18, 09:25 PM
Kelly I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Colorado Tour Companions

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26901891

We are planning a trip that starts July 3rd. Motels and cooking. Companions are welcome. At the moment we have a single man and a couple, all in our 50's. Anyone interested?
Old 02-22-18, 09:36 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm really itching to do this, maybe vertically. (I just put together a 27.5+ rigid drop-bar steel mountain bike with the possible goal of the doing the Divide trail.) My wife (who has toured previously) is trying to guilt-trip me out of a road tour (she took over from my mother, RIP), but I would also be quite happy doing that. I can think of worse things that being dead (as long as it is quick).

Here is a pic from the first shake-down ride (before it got cold again here):

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-22-18 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-22-18, 09:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by samanthadavies
I'm planning on doing a roadtrip with my family from San Diego all the way up the coast.
We were thinking about renting a caravan but too afraid we'll just end up wanting to kill each other from all the time spent in just a small space.
Any recommendations?
Ride North to South.
Old 02-23-18, 06:50 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm not planning any cross country trips, but I take 3 or 4 5-10 day rides each year. This year I'm planning part of the Ohio River Valley in April, Arizona in June, a National Forest in Michigan in July and part of Quebec in August. We'll see what actually happens.

Marc
Old 02-23-18, 09:00 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Doing RAAM on a 4 person team (different of course).

I'm also doing this stage of my x-country ride: https://www.cycleamerica.com/cc6-heartland.htm

Old 02-23-18, 11:29 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

So, is this a new wife? I think you must have a very understanding wife who enjoys the trip as much as you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.