Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Power Comp Saddle

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-28-19, 08:04 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Anyone that knows me, knows I avoid 1 thing on my bikes.. and that's "House Brand" parts(Bontrager/Specialized). But, I recently made an exception for a saddle because the saddle I had was just crap. Was a Cross saddle with wayyyy too much curvature and it just wasn't comfortable. So, when I went in for a fitting for the new bike (I had to replace the crashed bike), I looked into a new saddle.. and the shop offered me a Power Comp to test.. and if I don't like it, return it whenever.. and pick something else. I've never "tested" a saddle before. I read reviews and then buy something based on whether or not I feel it's reviewed well enough and fits my needs.

ANYWAY.. I've had the chance to ride the saddle a couple of times now, and will continue to break it out and for an ultimate opinion.. But, SO FAR.. It's pretty amazing. Bar far the most comfortable seat I've had to date. But, I'm still in the discovery process. I need to test it on a nice, long ride (once it warms up here) to make sure it's the real deal.. but, so far the results have been pretty positive. No numbness. No tingling. Just the right amount of padding/support and it's wide enough for my ample bottom, lol.

It's not a fancy version with carbon or anything. It's just the stock Power Comp Cromo/155.

So, anyone else riding one of these? and if so, what do you think?
Old 03-28-19, 08:18 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I rode a 155 Power Expert for a couple of years. I went through 8 saddles before I found the Power saddle. I rode a 140 mile ride on the Power saddle last summer and it was comfortable all day. I got that saddle torn up in an accident. I strayed and tried other saddles. I'm back on a Power Pro Elaston. The marketing guys at Specialized say that sitting on Elaston is like "sitting on a 1,000 pillows". I'm not sure about that, but it is comfortable so far and the padding feels great on the sit bones. I am doing a 75 mile ride with 5600 feet of climbing on April 6th. That will be the real test of how the Elaston does on long distances. I have mine level on the first 2/3rd of the saddle so you can push back against the tail on hills. Good luck with your Power Comp, I hope you find the Power saddles as comfortable as I do.
Old 03-28-19, 09:02 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Tried a Power Pro a couple months ago. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't an improvement on the Toupe I was trying to replace, so I sold it and stuck with the Toupe. I think I like the longer nose on the Toupe for shifting around during rides.
Old 03-28-19, 11:21 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
The Power saddle, to me, is one of the biggest innovations in cycling in the past decade.

I dont think its a coincidence that almost every company that makes saddles now has a Power equivalent (PRO, Selle Italia, San Marco, Prologo, Giant... I’m sure there are more). I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Specialized has made so many variants of the Power saddle (after colors, widths, special editions, there’s mimic, elaston and arc).

The power is only significantly more comfortable than some other saddles (IMO) if a) you lack a thigh gap and b) you ride with your hips aggressively rotated. I have very thick thighs and narrow hips (to the point where walking and running are quite uncomfortable) so a saddle like the toupe was always rubbing. I have to get low to put down a significant amount of power because my torso weighs so little relative to my legs. So I spend a lot of time in that rotated position. For me, and somewhere around 8 or 9 of my riding buddies, a stub nose saddle with a large cutout is just a no-brainer.
Old 03-28-19, 11:25 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I LOVE my Power Arc Expert saddle, I've tried a couple, and this has solved like ALL of my discomfort issues. (with previous saddles like the stelle italia I'd get all sorts of numbness and back pain.
Old 03-28-19, 12:02 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I ended up with a Power Expert after a Retul fitting. Made a world of difference, but it's tricky to set up perfectly. My fitter wasn't in the shop when I picked up my new bike and transferred the saddle over, so if feels off now. I don't get the perfect sit-bone support unless the angle and fore/aft positioning are dialed in.
Old 03-28-19, 02:58 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I have a Power Expert saddle on every one of my road bikes. By far, the Power saddle is better than every other saddle I've ever ridden.
Old 05-26-19, 10:25 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
So I've decided that my old Specialized Toupe is at the end of its life. I was set on picking up a Frabric Shallow, but at the LBS I was introduced to the Specialized Power Expert. Now I'm rethinking my Fabric purchase.

From the posts here it seems like the Expert is a pretty good saddle. As this thread was started in March, and it is now the end of May, are you all still happy with the Power saddle?

The is a HUGE difference in price between the Expert and Pro. Anyone ever look at the two side by side to see what the big fuss is about?
Old 05-27-19, 05:23 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Just upgraded to an Arc Expert after multiple saddles worth of perennial issues.

Perennial issues are gone, but had a little bit of saddle bone soreness. Not sure i'm meant to let the seat bed in, or if i should try swapping to the regular power.
Old 05-28-19, 12:59 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I recently got a proper road bike and replaced the stock saddle which I didn't like even in the shop, with a Specialized Power Expert right off the bat. Comp has a bit more padding which doesn't seem so nice to me. I've yet to do a properly long ride on the saddle, but up to two and something hours - it is just brilliant.

My other bike is a touring bike with a chopped up B17, so I have a pretty high expectations for a comfortable saddle - but my initial impressions of the Specialized Power are great.
Old 05-28-19, 11:21 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I'm still using my old Toupe, but after my ride last night I think the days are numbered for that saddle. Time to start looking around. Still hearing and reading good things about the Power Expert though. Good to hear/read about real world experiences.
Old 05-28-19, 11:43 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I find myself in the extreme minority of folks for whom this saddle does NOT work. It came on my Roubaix Comp and having given it about 200 miles, gave up. I attribute it to my own specific anatomy, given the near-instant-icon status of the Power saddle.

I first had it set up with a fairly high positive tilt (+2 deg. I believe). Eventually nudged to 1 deg. then to perfectly level, still not finding the sweet spot. The contact point on the left side of the saddle kept causing my leg and groin area to go numb. I'm also someone that likes to spend long days on big climbs, and like a more traditional long, narrow nose on which to move around some on 15+ mile climbs. I found myself immediately out of runway on the Power saddle.

Based on the remarkable reviews of the saddle I was eager to give it a run, but after 200 miles and 3 trips to my fitter, ended up going to my tried and true Selle Flite.
Old 05-28-19, 12:23 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've put over 1000 miles across 3 different Power variants. The standard Power Expert hurt my sit bones even after a month, so I bought a used Power Pro Elaston and exchanged the Power for a Power Expert with Mimic. The latter is my favorite of the three.

Elaston makes the area supporting the sit bones a bit softer, which is noticeable on long rides. It doesn't alter the shape of the Power in any way AFAIK. It's still tricky to get the right saddle angle with both Power and Power Elaston. I find a more negative angle makes riding in the drops and my clip-on aero bars feel fantastic, but then I can't avoid slipping forward too much when riding on the hoods.

The Mimic tech was designed to support soft tissue without constricting blood flow, and also has tapered wings. Although it's marketed to women and I'm not one, I found it much more comfortable/forgiving to ride on the nose and at more saddle angles than the standard Power, which has to be dialed in precisely or else doesn't feel great.

When I had a bike fit I also tested the Power Arc, but felt that it didn't support me as well as the standard Power. I didn't have a lot of time on it or try many positions. Supposedly the Arc benefits those who want to move around on the saddle, so maybe it performs better in real riding conditions.
Old 05-28-19, 01:04 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Update:

I tried the Power Elaston and I think it's the most comfortable saddle I've used....up to 30 miles. After 30 miles, it is too soft and my hips went numb. I then went back to the Power Expert and all is good. I'm putting in some big rides and I did 75 miles on Saturday and the Power Expert gives a good combination of enough padding and not too much padding. I was super tempted by the Power Pro, but I know the Expert worked for me in the past.