Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drop Bars to Flat Bars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drop Bars to Flat Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 10:48 AM
mbaril

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop Bars to Flat Bars

Hello every one, this is my first thread. I have a Specialized road bike with full Shimano Ultegra component. 2 x 9 . My racing career is over and I would like to set up my bike with a flat bar or mountain bike style of bar. I'm looking for a brake lever and shifter that will fit my bike. Any suggestions ?
Old 07-27-19, 11:00 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Something like this: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...vio-m4000.html, and nearby there is an acceptable brake lever.
You could look at SRAM but not sure what they might have in 2x9 and you have to stick with the Attack series for proper RD activation, if you
like twist grip.
Old 07-27-19, 11:45 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I converted a 3x9 Specialized Sequoia Elite to a flatbar and it's been working out very well. I simply found a combo 3X9 shifter and brake lever set online and it installed very easily. It ****s extremely well and I think the brakes work better now. Good luck.
Old 07-27-19, 01:22 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
If you never intend to use the bike with the drops again, sell it, and buy a bike designed for flat bars.

Road bike generally will convert badly to hybrids (which is what you're effectively asking about), the same way that hybrids don't really work with drop bars.

The geometry will be compromised whichever way, making a purpose-built bike the better option either way.

If you really want to go ahead, you will need to source road compatible flat bar shifter (the M4000 may or may not work, pre-10 speed everything was compatible between road and MTB, now, don't count on it for any speed above 8 with current components), compatible brake levers, and work out the best stem/handlebars solution that make the bike comfortable. Given the age of the bike (as it has 9-speed Ultegra), it's at least 15 years old, you will probably have issues with tire clearance over 25mm as 23mm was the norm back then and anything wider was uncommon for a road bike.
Old 07-27-19, 04:13 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
It ****s extremely well and I think the brakes work better now.
Shame on you ! This is a family-friendly operation !
Old 07-29-19, 02:15 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
If you really want to go ahead, you will need to source road compatible flat bar shifter (the M4000 may or may not work, pre-10 speed everything was compatible between road and MTB, now, don't count on it for any speed above 8 with current components), compatible brake levers, and work out the best stem/handlebars solution that make the bike comfortable. Given the age of the bike (as it has 9-speed Ultegra), it's at least 15 years old, you will probably have issues with tire clearance over 25mm as 23mm was the norm back then and anything wider was uncommon for a road bike.
This is not correct. Shimano front derailleurs have always been road/MTB specific. I think MTB pulls more cable so you may be able to get a MTB front shifter to work on a road FD, but you won't have trim positions and setup may be more difficult. For your specific application, I'd recommend microSHIFT R9 R859 shifters, which are Shimano road 9 sp compatible and retail for about $48. You'll need short pull compatible brake levers, which are readily available.

I agree that the bike may not make an ideal flat bar conversion, but in truth in the past a lot of brands high end hybrids were literally their endurance road frames set up with flat bars, and an awful lot of FG/SS riders are on road or track geo frames and flat bars and it works out OK. Also expect to need to change stems to find a good position with a flat bar. It may be financially and mechanically smarter to sell the road bike and buy a mid end hybrid.
Old 07-29-19, 10:39 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I did this with a Fuji Roubaix and am pleased with the results. Rode it 27+ miles yesterday when the newly installed tubeless tires on the Giant TCR wouldn't hold air.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...derailers.html

Hoping that my thread will have the info you need. FWIW I would try using the Ultegra FD. I think the 105 FD would have worked properly with the Sora shifter if I hadn't installed the chain rings backwards after I took them apart and cleaned them.

Chris
Old 07-29-19, 02:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Drop to flat conversions work fine as long as you understand that the riding position is going to be a lot more upright with a flat bar.

I will second the Microshift recommendation. I used their 2/3 x 10 for a conversion and they work fine.

Alternatively, if you can fine a flat bar shifter for a road front derailleur, then any shimano mountain 9 speed shifter will work for the rear.

For levers: https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-R5...d-Brake-Levers. Cheap and work.