Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Giving up on the group rides, focusing on the trainer and trails

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-18-19, 07:21 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I good group ride is fun and can be a great motivator to increase fitness. We have a great group here in town. Some are very fast and fit, including a recreational cyclist who completed the Race Across Wisconsin (228 miles, 4750ft of climbing) with an average speed of 21.5 mph. Most are fit and and complete a 35 mile evening ride at about 17mph if you exclude stops and slower speeds. If I was retired, I'd join this group 3 days a week.

However, I'm enjoying some of the best years of my career and am glad we have all the benefits that come along with that. My career includes business travel, so attending a regular group ride with consistency is impossible. I'm also concerned with safety, most drivers here are considerate of cyclists, but 1% are imbeciles and it only takes one bad driver with me in the wrong place to have a life-altering setback.

So my new plan is 3 or 4 days on the trainer. I'll save my outdoor cycling for gravel trails or larger events with hundreds of cyclist. I'm planning a cycling tour vacation with my daughter in 20 months. That will be my motivation.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-18-19 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 07:52 AM
mac mini 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My suggestion is a very quiet spin bike in a cool location with a large flat screen TV. My workout "plan" is 15 minutes light resistance hi rpm (this is relative) and then 5 minute intervals of varying difficulty. Five minute "climb" or five minute TT. At the end of the five minutes I go back to hi rpm light resistance for 5 minutes. Repeat until your brain is reduced to the size of a sand dollar. I met a man from upper New York State who actually qualified for RAM using indoor training. Winters in upper NYS aren't good for cycling. Have fun.
Old 08-18-19, 08:06 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by mac mini
My suggestion is a very quiet spin bike in a cool location with a large flat screen TV. My workout "plan" is 15 minutes light resistance hi rpm (this is relative) and then 5 minute intervals of varying difficulty. Five minute "climb" or five minute TT. At the end of the five minutes I go back to hi rpm light resistance for 5 minutes. Repeat until your brain is reduced to the size of a sand dollar. I met a man from upper New York State who actually qualified for RAM using indoor training. Winters in upper NYS aren't good for cycling. Have fun.
Modern trainers are ideal for strength and endurance training. The technology makes it interesting, I don’t find a 90 minute workout to be boring. I really don’t think I’m missing much by reducing outdoor cycling time. Certainly, trainers are the best “anytime” option when the weather is a problem.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-18-19 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 10:06 AM
katyjcrow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you are going to ride indoor on a trainer, I recommend you get Zwift or similar program. The investment in a smart trainer is considerable, but really ups the experience. ( Cycleops always has scratch and dent on sale and are local to you in Wisconsin). A 60 to 90 minute ride on Zwift goes by in no time and you can really maintain your fitness.
Old 08-18-19, 11:45 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
You have to find what works best for you and if it's riding a trainer than go for it. Personally, I would take my chances with the 1% rather than ride a trainer, but that's what works for me.
Old 08-18-19, 01:31 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Usually it is only the 1% that ruins it and gives everybody else of that demographic a bad name. You'll find that one person or that 1% in every group or activity - even in Bike Forums.

For me, I'd think that spinning indoors and going nowhere just doesn't compare to being outside enjoying all the good that comes with it along with some of the challenges.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-18-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 03:40 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Riding a trainer if fine in winter and with bad weather but frankly I just don't get the not riding outside? Go yourself and avoid groups take the path you want and when you want. I do get that traveling makes riding harder since you probably cannot bring your bike and renting is expensive.
Old 08-18-19, 03:57 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I think a lot more seasoned riders are following your lead. I know of several that are opting to ride more indoors. In a way it’s sad that some of it’s driven by irresponsible drivers but that’s just the way it is.

We have a similar group here. It really improved my fitness riding with our local elite riders. For me, I’m continuing doing mostly solo rides and occasional larger group rides. I’ve hardly ridden with our local guys since crashing last year. One reason is their weeknight rides start at 6 pm. After walking 18 holes in the heat every morning I’m settling in around that time in the evenings now!!!
Old 08-19-19, 02:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Modern trainers are ideal for strength and endurance training. The technology makes it interesting, I don’t find a 90 minute workout to be boring. I really don’t think I’m missing much by reducing outdoor cycling time. Certainly, trainers are the best “anytime” option when the weather is a problem.

Yes, trainers can be a good "anytime" option when the weather is a problem, and maybe you're different, but I would certainly miss something by reducing outdoor cycling time ... I'd miss the outdoors.

It starts to drive me crazy if I don't get out in nature and sunshine. I've got to get out there and walk at least just about every day of the week.

And that's not a Zwift screen I'm familiar with!
Old 08-19-19, 04:03 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Machka
Yes, trainers can be a good "anytime" option when the weather is a problem, and maybe you're different, but I would certainly miss something by reducing outdoor cycling time ... I'd miss the outdoors.

It starts to drive me crazy if I don't get out in nature and sunshine. I've got to get out there and walk at least just about every day of the week.

And that's not a Zwift screen I'm familiar with!
I certainly agree that getting outside is important, and there are many ways to enjoy the great outdoors. I'll enjoy kayaking, sailing, cycling and skiing in a balanced active lifestyle. I can enjoy all these activities in less than 15 minutes from home, weather permitting. I'll just spend more time training indoors and my outdoor cycling will be more quality oriented than quantity oriented. ...and Zwift isn't the only training platform for virtual cyclist available, I’m using Rouvy.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-19-19 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 04:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been thinking overnight about your shift in focus for training to indoors from the risk point of view. As you said, it only takes one distracted motorist to change a life forever. But risk is a relative situation. For example, flying in a commercial aircraft is considered safe but compared to what. It is certainly safer than crossing a street on foot but is not entirely risk free, yet we do both. From my own experience, although I work to improve awareness of the situation around me, particularly when cycling, I know my attention span is distracted now and then. I know this because I have been surprised by some situations where if the motorist were equally distracted, that situation may have been dire for me.

Then to, it is not only motorists who present a risk. We can get into trouble on our own by being distracted and failing to either see or recognize in anticipation a developing situation. I've seen four cyclists go down, as JPPE recently did, in a situation that was likely preventable. In the end we accept a level of risk that has little to do with complete objective evaluation. I don't think we set a risk gauge to a particular level. Our best course to to continually evaluate that risk as time passes.
Old 08-19-19, 02:35 PM
Hawkowl2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Guess it depends on why you ride. Common reasons are fitness, competition, and sight seeing. Outside or inside; group or solo are decisions that flow from that.
Likes For Hawkowl2:
Old 08-19-19, 09:28 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Riding a trainer if fine in winter and with bad weather but frankly I just don't get the not riding outside?....................
Inside riding = convenience, easy bathroom stops, quick beer here, PIE within arms reach ----- I get it!!!!

same with treadmills or as some prefer --- dreadmills
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-20-19, 06:17 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
As my ER doc little brother was gleefully scrubbing the dirt and gravel out after my most recent crash, he mentioned that nobody had ever shown up in his ER after a fall from their Peloton.

Last edited by tigat; 08-20-19 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-20-19, 06:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts

I have never experienced this from the seat of a Peloton:

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-20-19 at 06:28 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-19, 10:48 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by deacon mark
Riding a trainer if fine in winter and with bad weather but frankly I just don't get the not riding outside? Go yourself and avoid groups take the path you want and when you want. I do get that traveling makes riding harder since you probably cannot bring your bike and renting is expensive.
No one said “not riding outside “, except you.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-20-19, 10:53 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
No one said “not riding outside “, except you.
I had the impression that really most of the time you were giving up on riding outside. My error sorry I better leave this thread alone.
Old 08-20-19, 03:42 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Riding a trainer is good exercise - but it's not bicycling. Sounds like you have decided on a compromise that works for you.
Old 08-20-19, 05:03 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I just got back from a four hour ride. I can't imagine doing that on a trainer.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-20-19, 08:41 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I'm also concerned with safety, ..
I ride with a couple of groups weekly. There are drawbacks, and safety issues from within you own group is one. Another is the group will often hold you back if you are a strong rider, over time you will adopt the habits and general performance profile of your group.

I think they are fine social opportunities and a chance to explore routes you might not ride solo. It's also a reason to dress up in your kit. Trainers are more likely to be serious business if you are managing bike fitness.
Old 08-24-19, 01:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
So when you decide to start selling off those old bikes you don't have time to ride, give us tall guys a heads up.
Or that small but treasured stash of components, that I could use about now.

It is very gratifying to hear of a guy at the top of his career while also graying.
I didn't make the transition to wireless and got washed out of electronics tech too early.

(edit: checked that there is nothing yet on the C&V Sales page)

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-24-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 09:01 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I started seriously using the trainer through the winter about 2 years ago and was in the best shape of my life at 63, but going outside was always the goal. But when I did go out it was almost always solo. Group rides were just never my thing, either too fast or too slow or some sub-group would break away. And yes, Zwift and the other training programs were necessary to keep the trainer interesting. When spring arrived I was kicking ass, but still not interested in group rides.