Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finally got a Brooks saddle.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Finally got a Brooks saddle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 09:48 AM
JWay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Ah, thank you. Now it begins to make sense.

I still think it could do with suspension though, to reduce impacts against even the correct areas. Maybe assist with the leather breaking-in properly, too. But then, I sit quite upright.
wow had no idea that much thought went into the saddle. Good to know. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-21-19, 03:29 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I was at a REI garage sale last Saturday and I was able to grab a returned (new) B17 for $40. Yay for me!
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 10-22-19, 06:49 AM
FLYBYU

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got my Brooks B17 on sale from Chain Reaction for $75. I thought that if it didn't work out I could sell it for at least that. Well 1300kms later I love it. It really has renewed my love of cycling as I would avoid riding due to painful saddles (even bought a recumbent). It just disappears from under you. Great saddle....for me!
Old 10-22-19, 10:33 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
There are three things that prevent me from getting a leather Brooks saddle.

1. They weigh a ton. I'm not a weight weenie, but some of Brooks saddle weigh three times what my current saddle weighs.
2. Most Brooks saddles have to be tilted nose up. This may make your sit bones comfortable, but it feels like your riding on the horn.
3. After you go through the break-in period, there's no guarantee that it will be comfortable.

If my current saddle doesn't work out, I may invest in a C13 wide saddle. It does weigh under 300 grams, and a lot of people rave about it for distance. Time will tell.
Old 10-22-19, 02:12 PM
FLYBYU

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
There are three things that prevent me from getting a leather Brooks saddle.

1. They weigh a ton. I'm not a weight weenie, but some of Brooks saddle weigh three times what my current saddle weighs.
2. Most Brooks saddles have to be tilted nose up. This may make your sit bones comfortable, but it feels like your riding on the horn.
3. After you go through the break-in period, there's no guarantee that it will be comfortable.

If my current saddle doesn't work out, I may invest in a C13 wide saddle. It does weigh under 300 grams, and a lot of people rave about it for distance. Time will tell.
1. Your faster when you are more comfortable

2. Mine is perfectly level, I don't feel the front at all, but this is all personal preference.

3. Mine felt amazing from the 1st km to now. 1300kms later it only feels better.
Old 10-22-19, 02:24 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
My personal experience with Brooks B17 is that it is completely comfortable right out the box. In fact I let one get wet and rode on it, and it stretched a bit and I haven't been able to get if comfortable again, and I will probably replace it. I know other people feel they need to break them in, but for me, the newer the better. I always have a plastic bag with me and cover the seat every time I leave the bike outside, no matter the weather. At work we have a locked bike area which may have helped prevent my seat and other bike paraphernalia getting stolen.

Here is my B17 joke from years ago:

An older male cyclist was worried about his declining sexual functioning, but he was reluctant to tell his wife, who already disapproved of his bicycling, that the problem could be due to nerve compression from a badly fitting bike seat, and might be fixed by getting a Brooks B-17 leather saddle. Finally, one night in bed, after another mediocre bout of lovemaking, he blurted out “I wanna B-17”. She laughed wryly and said “Honey, it wasn’t that great when you were that age, either”.

Last edited by cooker; 10-22-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 03:59 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I just got my first Brooks Cambium C17 today. As owner of 3 B17s, and two Pros, I thought it was time to go "modern" and try the C17. The Specialized Avatar on my '07 Roubaix is starting to bug me, and I'm a big fan of the Brooks comfort, look and fit, as well as durability, so as a $69 Ebay find, I decided to go for it. Its 97° here today and getting windy, plus we have a early class tonight, so I won't get any seat time till tomorrow. I do like the looks though, just wonder how long the cloth cover will hold up. I had a Brooks B17 for 50 years before it split on a wet weather ride. If this lasts 1/2 as long, I'll be 95!

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-22-19 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 09:54 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
I looked at getting a Cambium, but I ride to work in casual work pants and I wondered if the pebbly surface would wear them out faster than the smooth leather of the traditional saddles, which don't seem to harm my pants. I haven't noticed any staining on the pants from the proofhide, but I always wear dark pants.

My only beef with B17 is that it rides a bit higher on the post than other saddles, so I found it had to be pushed farther back on its rails to maintain the same position relative to the seat tube. To correct for that I got a new seat post with more setback.

And I agree with some posters, that for me it works best with a very slight nose elevation, to keep you at the back of the saddle and not sliding forward onto the nose.

Last edited by cooker; 10-22-19 at 10:00 PM.