Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how to find used road bikes for non-profit program.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 09:58 AM
Chiefyo

Bikes: '59 Schwinn Panther II, '74 Schwinn Stingray, '88 Trek 560, 2016 Big Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I oversee probation for southeast Colorado and am very involved with our local and very small community run bike repair shop. We are in no mans land Colorado and are 3 hours away from a LBS. We get lots of donations of people's old Walmart bikes that are really not worth fixing up. I'm advocating to the board that runs the shop to spend some money to buy some quality used bikes from goodwill/Craigslist/etc... I've found some steals of vintage treks. What other brands models from the '80s & 90's made good solid bike that are now common and great values on the craigslist/eBay scene? Any models to steer clear from? I see a lot of Japan made bikes like Panasonic but am not sure about these?? Looking in the free to $250 range.
Old 04-20-16, 10:20 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What is the intent of these bikes? Sell at cost? Make a bit of profit to help other programs? If so, unless you find something particularly valuable, I'd think starting out with a $250 bike would be too high. By the time you've replaced the worn consumables, you're looking at charging $300 or more just to break even. Likely to be a harder sell in a small out of the way town.
Old 04-21-16, 08:00 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you find a Panasonic and it is fixable at a reasonable cost, buy it. Here's the story of the company written by the manager of the bike shop where I worked at a very long time ago. Panasonic Bicycles at Yellow Jersey IMHO, it was the one moderately priced bike sold by Schwinn that wasn't a BSO. Panasonic sold to dealers under their own brand name but also slapped "Schwinn Approved) labels on the same bike and then had them sold by Schwinn dealers as the World Tour for about 30% more than the comparable Panasonic. Made in Japan.

You are right that almost all of the bikes donated to places like yours are junk not worth fixing. That's simply because most people buy their bikes from places like Walmart so they are BSOs to start with. When I see a bike that doesn't have a one piece crank and wheels held on by nuts, I lift it up. If the bike is light and not trashed, it probably is worth restoring. Most of my restorations end up well under $100 but I am very choosy about the bikes I restore.

There are those of us who restore bikes as a hobby for the pleasure of the next owner, not for profit. I pass mine on to Scouts and Scout leaders who do cycling merit badge. The OP is in this category.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 04-21-16 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-21-16, 09:13 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
There are those of us who restore bikes as a hobby for the pleasure of the next owner, not for profit. I pass mine on to Scouts and Scout leaders who do cycling merit badge. The OP is in this category.
I fit in that category as well, minus them eventually making it on to the next owner. They just clutter my apartment

I simply asked, as the OP had not indicated the intentions of the bike. A $300 restored vintage bike might move well in an urban center. In a small, out of the way town? Not so likely. Advocating to a board to spend money would indicate to me there needs to be some cash accountability on these bikes.
Old 04-21-16, 09:18 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I'm part of a group that does the same thing, but in NJ so we have a greater population to use. What we do is to have bike drives. We have drop off points at all of the local bike shops. We also sponsor corporate bike drives. What you can do is to ask local churches and scout troops to run bike drives every 6 months or so. This is a great service project for the scouts, they should jump on it.
Good Luck.
Old 04-21-16, 02:44 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiefyo
We get lots of donations of people's old Walmart bikes that are really not worth fixing up.
I volunteer in a bike coop. We're in a city of ~2MM people. A relatively small percentage of donated bikes are not worth fixing up, and get recycled. I'd guess 10-20% tops. Those bikes get stripped of any usable part and go into a pile, and get hauled to the recyclers when the pile is big enough. Our clients include people who have to save up to buy a $20-$60 bike to get to work; we would not be serving them well if we told them, "You deserve a better bike; keep saving until you have enough for this Trek".

My suggestions:
1) Partner with a bike co-op, church, or charity in a large metro area (Denver, The Springs, Pueblo, whatever) and have them collect bikes for you. Get the bikes every couple of months.

2) Hit Goodwill and other thrift stores; almost all have half-price days. I've spent as little as $13.50 on a working, if dirty, 10 speed. Even better, ask if you can partner with them. They might be willing to call when they have inventory or even set aside bikes they would otherwise scrap. Include more distant cities if you can find volunteers to make monthly collection trips.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 04-21-16, 04:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
I volunteer at our local community farm/jobs training project repairing and resurrecting bikes for use by our clients, many of whom are jobless and/or homeless and lack transportation. We have solicited donations from local bike shops, and currently have a donation drive in conjunction with these shops:

https://www.facebook.com/riverviewga...64745420229654

N.B. That's me in the picture