Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Looking for ZWIFT trainer recommendations.

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 08:24 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

I currently ZWIFT using the following set up:

1. APPLE TV 4;

2. A VIIIIVA heart rate monitor. It acts as a bridge picking up the signals from my Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors and transmitting them to the APPLE TV; and

3. A CycleOps Fluid trainer

i am now thinking of replacing the CycleOps with a new, “smart”trainer. The CycleOps fluid trainer is OK for most situations but a smart trainer would definitely enhance the ZWIFT experience.

My choices (price wise) are:

Kinetic Road Machine - Smart

Kinetic Road Machine Smart Control

CycleOps Magnus trainer

The Kinetic Road Machine is on sale for about $280.00.

the Kinetic Smart Control and the Magnus trainer are similarly priced.

I am fairly familiar with these trainers’ features.

What I would like to know is what trainers, among these three, do you use for ZWIFTING and why.

Also, if you use another trainer for ZWIFTING please let me know which one and why.

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-28-18, 07:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I don't zwift, but I have a friend that uses a kickr. Problem is it's too honest about your power.

Kurt is supposed to be coming out with a power meter for their trainers that is inexpensive. That might improve the zwiftiness of their dumb trainers.
Old 06-28-18, 12:04 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't zwift, but I have a friend that uses a kickr. Problem is it's too honest about your power.

Kurt is supposed to be coming out with a power meter for their trainers that is inexpensive. That might improve the zwiftiness of their dumb trainers.
Thanks.

The last thing that This old guy needs is power honesty.
Old 06-28-18, 12:25 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have the Kurt road machine smart. Use it with my IPad hooked to a 48” tv. Works great for me. TV is dedicated to the workout setup. Couldn’t be happier about it for my winter training. I did a bike shop tryout with a couple differentrent models and liked them all. But the Kurt was on sale so I got that. It was the most bang for my buck at that moment in time. I would really suggest to get a smart model though. Setup for Zwift is just easier that way and sensors aren’t needed with a smart trainer. Although you probably already have the sesnsors already.

Tip if you are going to use a laptop you will need the little stick usb thing to read ant.
Old 06-28-18, 04:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
The last thing that This old guy needs is power honesty.
IKR, why get dropped in the virtual world when I can go ride by myself and pretend I got dropped?
Old 06-28-18, 05:07 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I have the Kurt road machine smart. Use it with my IPad hooked to a 48” tv. Works great for me. TV is dedicated to the workout setup. Couldn’t be happier about it for my winter training. I did a bike shop tryout with a couple differentrent models and liked them all. But the Kurt was on sale so I got that. It was the most bang for my buck at that moment in time. I would really suggest to get a smart model though. Setup for Zwift is just easier that way and sensors aren’t needed with a smart trainer. Although you probably already have the sesnsors already.

Tip if you are going to use a laptop you will need the little stick usb thing to read ant.

Thank you for the response and suggestion. Is your trainer the one with the In Ride control. Or the Smart Control Trainer.

Kinetic Road Machine Smart or Road Machine Smart Control:

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...-machine-smart

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...-smart-control

Old 06-28-18, 05:08 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by unterhausen
IKR, why get dropped in the virtual world when I can go ride by myself and pretend I got dropped?
That’s funny...and true.
Old 06-28-18, 08:25 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Thank you for the response and suggestion. Is your trainer the one with the In Ride control. Or the Smart Control Trainer.

Kinetic Road Machine Smart or Road Machine Smart Control:

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...-machine-smart

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...-smart-control

i used to have the smart control one. I think it was 550 - 600 ish? Don’t remember what I paid, but my wife stole it from me. It was fine and I had the machine turned down to about 60% anyways because Zwift was kicking my butt on the climbs. So I got the regular smart one the second go round. I like the non auto version better. Been very happy. Besides I paid $325 as a promotional deal and got a riser too. I see it’s 349$ now so my deal wasn’t super but it was something.

The free kurt training thing they boast about sucks! Don’t even mess with it. you get a free month then They want you to pay for it. It’s crap imo. Zwift is where it’s at. I love Zwift in the winter. Keeps me motivated to ride and engaged when in the basement pedaling without going anyplace.

Last edited by sdmc530; 06-28-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-28-18, 09:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

i used to have the smart control one. I think it was 550 - 600 ish? Don’t remember what I paid, but my wife stole it from me. It was fine and I had the machine turned down to about 60% anyways because Zwift was kicking my butt on the climbs. So I got the regular smart one the second go round. I like the non auto version better. Been very happy. Besides I paid $325 as a promotional deal and got a riser too. I see it’s 349$ now so my deal wasn’t super but it was something.

The free kurt training thing they boast about sucks! Don’t even mess with it. you get a free month then They want you to pay for it. It’s crap imo. Zwift is where it’s at. I love Zwift in the winter. Keeps me motivated to ride and engaged when in the basement pedaling without going anyplace.
I really appreciate your input. It is one thing to read the specs and the “unbiased” reviews. It is quite another to hear from an actual user.

I really like ZWIFT. I live in So. Cal. so snow or bad weather is not an issue. But I like being able to jump on the bike, for a quick work out, at any time of the day or night.

I know of 3 or 4 BF’ers who are also on ZWIFT.

Again, thanks for your recommendation.

PS: Gotta keep your wife from stealing your stuff. At least you didn’t say ex-wife.
Old 06-29-18, 08:11 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

PS: Gotta keep your wife from stealing your stuff. At least you didn’t say ex-wife.
Yeah, she can have it. She is the breadwinner of the family so have to keep momma happy

One last thing, if you do a Zwift race or like event you will get your butt kicked. Zwift doping is as prevalent as PED's in the pro circuit. Just do what you can do and just try to get better than you were, you just have beat yourself.
Old 06-29-18, 09:59 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Yeah, she can have it. She is the breadwinner of the family so have to keep momma happy

One last thing, if you do a Zwift race or like event you will get your butt kicked. Zwift doping is as prevalent as PED's in the pro circuit. Just do what you can do and just try to get better than you were, you just have beat yourself.
I have heard about ZWIFT doping...that’s pretty dope. See what I did there?

So just change my stats, like entering a lower wight? Or a taller self?

Will using my Proventil inhaler work?
Old 06-29-18, 01:02 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why didn't the Wahoo Kickr Snap make the list? It retails at $600 so it's at the upper end of your price range, although if you wait for the REI 20% coupons they'll work.

I got one last winter and it really changed my TrainerRoad and Zwift experience. It made TrainerRoad more effective, and it made Zwift actually worthwhile (I tried using Zwift with a dumb trainer and found it pointless, but with a smart trainer it really is almost the same as climbing hills and mountains and stuff.)
Old 06-29-18, 05:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Yes lowering weight makes yku faster. I tried it once and made a huge difference. Not sure if taking some height would have the same effect though. Never tried that. I have no doubt there are some world class riders there but getting up the big boy climb in 40 minuets is just crazy blatant dopiing. The pro guys were doing it in 43.
Old 07-01-18, 01:08 PM
evchon 

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CL SF 8.0, 1990s Merckx Strada, Bottecchia Professional, Tomii Custom

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Magnus and Snap are excellent for wheel-on trainers. Bang-for-the-buck, however, I'd say the Tacx Vortex Smart is a great smart trainer which you can get for around $430 or less. Not as robust/sturdy as either the Magnus or KICKR Snap, but it does work really well.

Of course, I'd just splurge and go for the KICKR itself (but a newer version is in the works with refinements so perhaps wait a bit).
Old 07-01-18, 08:36 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by ksryder
Just out of curiosity, why didn't the Wahoo Kickr Snap make the list? It retails at $600 so it's at the upper end of your price range, although if you wait for the REI 20% coupons they'll work.

I got one last winter and it really changed my TrainerRoad and Zwift experience. It made TrainerRoad more effective, and it made Zwift actually worthwhile (I tried using Zwift with a dumb trainer and found it pointless, but with a smart trainer it really is almost the same as climbing hills and mountains and stuff.)
I am not really sure why not. Price was part of the reason, but other than that I guess I didn’t have any other reason for excluding the Wahoo from consideration.

Maybe I should’ve.
Old 07-01-18, 08:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by evchon
Magnus and Snap are excellent for wheel-on trainers. Bang-for-the-buck, however, I'd say the Tacx Vortex Smart is a great smart trainer which you can get for around $430 or less. Not as robust/sturdy as either the Magnus or KICKR Snap, but it does work really well.

Of course, I'd just splurge and go for the KICKR itself (but a newer version is in the works with refinements so perhaps wait a bit).
You make a good point.

But as it is the case for most technology there is always something better right around the corner.

I ended up getting the Kinetic Road Machine Smart. It works pretty well with ZWIFT. It feels very sturdy and well made.

I just need to figure out all the features...like how to calibrate it. But for now it seems to work much better than my old, “dumb” trainer.

Thank you all for your input and help.
Old 07-01-18, 09:07 PM
evchon 

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CL SF 8.0, 1990s Merckx Strada, Bottecchia Professional, Tomii Custom

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You'll need to calibrate it using the Kurt Kinetic app on your phone. Once it's calibrated, turn off the app or else Zwift won't be able to connect to the trainer.

You make a good point.

But as it is the case for most technology there is always something better right around the corner.

I ended up getting the Kinetic Road Machine Smart. It works pretty well with ZWIFT. It feels very sturdy and well made.

I just need to figure out all the features...like how to calibrate it. But for now it seems to work much better than my old, “dumb” trainer.

Thank you all for your input and help.
Old 07-02-18, 07:16 AM
eja_ bottecchia

You'll need to calibrate it using the Kurt Kinetic app on your phone. Once it's calibrated, turn off the app or else Zwift won't be able to connect to the trainer.
Thanks, I will try that.
Old 07-02-18, 01:06 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

yes this is very true. I usually only calibrate once a week......kind of lazy and if I am on zwift I don't get to excited if the PM numbers are off a bit. Not critical to me.
Old 07-03-18, 12:52 PM
evchon 

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It should be okay for a week. I try and calibrate before every ride (and oftentimes I've ended up on a different trainer anyway) just to make sure it's way off due to testing.
Old 07-06-18, 09:02 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder

+1 for the KICKR SNAP. I got one specifically to use with Zwift. Works flawlessly and it makes the experience enjoyable (until I try to go uphill anyway). If your computer is in front of the bike I would recommend a USB extension cable to connect the ANT+ stick. Drop the end of the cable (with the ANT plugged in) on the floor near the trainer. This improves reliability tremendously.
Old 07-07-18, 04:53 PM
largefarva

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105; 2015 Felt V100

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for the Kickr Snap. It works very well being controlled by Zwift via Bluetooth.

I have an Elite Drivo and it works well via ant+ fe-c but Bluetooth is a whole other story. Barely any resistance at all on flats and declines. So bad that you’ll spin out on your lowest gear on your cassette. Inclines provides some resistance but not enough to warrant shifting to an easier gear at all. So as a PSA....avoid anything made by Elite because it seems like Zwift can’t figure out how to control their trainers very well using Bluetooth. I’m seeing the Drivo isn’t the only model affected.
Old 07-10-18, 03:51 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've gotten emails from Wahoo with their new trainer lineup. The Snap is still the same though. There is a new middle tier wheel off trainer called the KickrCore priced between the Snap and the Kickr, which itself has received some sort of upgrade. They are all still pretty expensive and I would take advantage of any discount you can find, except that new items tend not to have any discounts.

I'm considering one for the fall after the weather starts to change again. I did Zwift on my Fluid 2 with power meters, and while you get some hill simulation if you follow the power, it just isn't the same as being forced to ride harder up a hill as an ERG trainer would.
Old 07-10-18, 01:32 PM
puzzled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a Tacx Satori Smart and used it for a year or so. Ended up selling it because I was moving out of the country and it was too havy to take with me, but I was very happy with it's performance. It doesn't have all the latest features, but it's a great option if you are in a Budget and looking for a Smart trainer