Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Piston partially broken

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 10:58 PM
Hisamatsu

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://i.imgur.com/zwMHADV.jpg

The right piston of my front Shimano BR-RS805 would not fully reset flush. Took it apart to find the ceramic pieces crumbling internally. No wonder it would not push in much further. Took out the debris and cleaned it up. Since it was only breaking apart one side I temporarily reversed the piston so at least I have a semi functional brake to use.

Where can I get replacement pistons?
Old 06-25-19, 06:44 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Thanks for providing the part number it makes searching ("Shimano BR-RS805 ev pdf") easier. This document does not show the pistons as separate parts: :-(
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-RS805-3852A.pdf
Old 06-25-19, 09:37 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Ebay lists a few aftermarket aluminum pistons from China. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...RS805&_sacat=0 Looks like various shimano calipers use the same size pistons if you happen to come across some listed for other models.
Old 06-25-19, 11:15 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Wondering how you did that, and would be going for a warranty claim (after you have put it back together and it looks like it has never been apart) and under 2 years old.

If you of warranty would just replace with a new one, rather than fit unknown parts to a critical component.
Old 06-25-19, 12:42 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Wondering how you did that, and would be going for a warranty claim (after you have put it back together and it looks like it has never been apart) and under 2 years old.

If you of warranty would just replace with a new one, rather than fit unknown parts to a critical component.
Especially Chinese aftermarket parts. Made from very different material than the OEM. Brake parts. I'd pass.
Old 06-25-19, 03:19 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
If it helps, you can find replacement RS805 calipers for around $45. I just saw some at Competitive Cyclist. Rebuildability has never been high on Shimano's priority list (most famously seen in their STI levers).

I'd also be interested in how that damage happened since I have some very similar R8070 calipers on one bike. Maybe the pistons got pushed in too far during a previous pad replacement and got crushed against the alloy shell?
Old 06-25-19, 04:39 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Especially Chinese aftermarket parts. Made from very different material than the OEM. Brake parts. I'd pass.
Yes, I would agree somewhat but they can't be much worse than the pistons that shattered. I'm getting the impression that this is not an unusual problem with the Shimano calipers since I've seen this mentioned a couple times before elsewhere and the fact that there are some aftermarket pistons available. Contact Shimano with this issue and see what they say. They may offer to replace for free and they should as this is a potentially deadly problem.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 06-25-19 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 04:52 PM
Hisamatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna

I'd also be interested in how that damage happened since I have some very similar R8070 calipers on one bike. Maybe the pistons got pushed in too far during a previous pad replacement and got crushed against the alloy shell?
Originally Posted by jimc101

Just past the 2 year mark 3 months ago.

When I bought the new bike the piston never really fully reset, but close enough it still worked so I shrugged it off. Problem probably already started then. As time went by it got worse probably due to more pieces inside chipping. Wasn't able use it anymore as I couldn't put the wheel back on.

Last edited by Hisamatsu; 06-25-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 02:31 PM
Hisamatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to my LBS to see if they had the same brake caliper to replace and quoted me $98 special order. I'm going to give the $10 aftermarket piston.