Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Crusier comfort

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Crusier comfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 10:38 AM
Mombutt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crusier comfort

I feel way more comfortable riding a 26inch cruiser compared to a 26inch mountain bike, I'm still worried if it's still on the small side.
Old 07-15-19, 11:44 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I too switched to a comfort bike from a mountain bike last year. Huge improvement overall.

But to be fair, the mountain bike was a Canadian Tire special. It may be a good one would also be comfortable.

I went by the manufacturer's recomdations for sizing. They are usually correct. However if you have short legs and a longer torso, a frame on the lager side might provide a more comfortable riding position, and the opposite for long legs / Short torso. Make sure the seat and step over height are good too.

We can usually adjust the seat fore and aft, handlebar height, and sometimes angle too to make most bikes close to the correct size work well. Try making small changes you feel appropriate.

Also the manufacturer's frame sizes are estimates, Some may prefer a more stretched out fit. Others a compact fit sitting more upright.
Old 07-15-19, 08:14 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Mombutt
I feel way more comfortable riding a 26inch cruiser compared to a 26inch mountain bike, I'm still worried if it's still on the small side.
So do I . I own a couple of mountain bikes, and a couple of old Schwinn Cross bikes , that ride great , but none of them are as comfortable to ride as my Electra Cruiser 1 . Even on the hills around my house .
Old 08-10-19, 07:14 PM
Celticgirl

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you mean too small with 26" tires? Not at all, I just purchased a 26" comfort hybrid with a 22" frame rated for riders 6'2" to 6'5"
I tried a 29" bike and found it too high off the ground for my liking.
In my opinion any mountain bike can be made comfortable just by replacing the straight bar with a swept back cruiser handlebar and a nice wide spring seat.
Old 08-11-19, 10:49 AM
Oldbikenut

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
I have several BMX cruisers and a few mountain bikes as well as a comfort bike, I really like the way they all ride but I use the BMX cruisers for short rides, the Mountain bikes for medium length or rougher rides and then the comfort bike for my long distance rides, all 26" wheels, I'm 6' and all seem to fit me well.

Last edited by Oldbikenut; 08-11-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 02:22 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
For higher speeds and longer distance (or road tripping), I prefer a D.S/hybrid bike, modified to my fit (slight lean forward with the ability to sit upright). For schlepping around, I love my cruisers
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 08-14-19, 08:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I built a three-speed (electric) cruiser and was surprised at how comfortable it was to ride even without the motor. However, my MTB's, which fit well, are are as comfortable and much more attuned to off road activities.
Old 08-14-19, 10:24 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I have the Worksman bike saddle on order. I sure hope that it works for me - tired of being in pain during and after my rides.
Old 08-22-19, 01:52 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I'm totally with you. We have a mountain bike that you really lean forward and I only like it for a few moments. Then I'm wanting to ride without touching the handlebars. Or I'm using my fingertips so I can sit upright. My son rode that one last night and he said the same thing. But it's my daughters and she likes it that way. So.... It was a bike I got for free and not having to change the handlebars is a good thing. I guess to each his own.

To me it seems like most seats are too narrow to be comfortable and most handlebars are too low. Unless it's a cruiser. I feel at home on them too. I think the shape of the frame puts the pedals just a little more forward than a mountain bike frame too. Which helps. But it's more about the handlebars and seat, IMHO. LOL.
Old 08-22-19, 04:15 PM
bfuser191509248

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 3S1M
I'm totally with you. We have a mountain bike that you really lean forward and I only like it for a few moments. Then I'm wanting to ride without touching the handlebars. Or I'm using my fingertips so I can sit upright. My son rode that one last night and he said the same thing. But it's my daughters and she likes it that way. So.... It was a bike I got for free and not having to change the handlebars is a good thing. I guess to each his own.

To me it seems like most seats are too narrow to be comfortable and most handlebars are too low. Unless it's a cruiser. I feel at home on them too. I think the shape of the frame puts the pedals just a little more forward than a mountain bike frame too. Which helps. But it's more about the handlebars and seat, IMHO. LOL.
Cruisers rule. (shh... don't tell the road bike guys I said that)
Old 08-25-19, 08:20 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I like them stripped down. I even took off the chainguard on it. It feels really light.
Old 08-26-19, 05:34 AM
coopman

Well, I got the big Worksman saddle and it's not the answer for me. The nose is wide enough to cause chafing to my inner thighs. The search continues....
Old 08-26-19, 09:31 AM
3S1M

The seat on that Del Mar I posted is about the most comfortable seat I've came across. But the profile is rare. Most of the ones now seem to have a concaveness to them and I don't like that. This one is flat and comfy and not sticky. It reminds me more of the original Schwinn cruiser style, but maybe better? We bought two seats from walmart for the kids bikes and they aren't too bad. The nose of it sticks up but there is a wide enough spot that if you tip it back your sitting flat on a large area and the nose doesn't seem to get in the way......

Let me see if I have a pic of that one handy...... The fabric... exterior of that is pretty good too. It's not real sticky but not too slippery either.

Old 08-26-19, 11:37 AM
coopman

Thanks. Yesterday I ordered a Charge Spoon saddle as my latest "saddle of the month". It is narrower than anything that I have tried so far. When I was a teenager I rode a Schwinn Typhoon. I don't recall having any pain while I was riding that bike. Of course, that was a mere 50 years ago...
Old 08-26-19, 02:42 PM
3S1M

Yeah, maybe you could look for an older genuine Schwinn seat and see if you can get a clean on for less than an arm and a leg. If you don't like the one you just ordered. Might be just the ticket. I'm not real thrilled with most of the newer seats.... The seat on my wife's Schwinn Sanctuary cruiser that is only a few years old is a lot different than the one on my Del Mar. And I don't like it as much.
Old 08-26-19, 06:02 PM
coopman

I just bought one on ebay. It looks a lot like the old seat on my Typhoon. It was described as "Vintage Mesinger Black Bicycle Saddle Seat Springer Spring w/ Seat Post Clamp". It might not work either, but I had to give it a try.