Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mammoth Lakes to Santa Monica?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-31-19, 07:21 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts

Hi all, Is this ride doable? It looks like Bikes are allowed on 395 but how about 14? I can bypass parts by jumping onto Sierra Highway. Other parts look like I have to be on 14 according to Google and I’m not sure that I dig that idea for safety reasons. All intel greatly appreciated!
Old 09-01-19, 08:26 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Couldn't think of a worse hwy to ride... the 14.
Old 09-01-19, 08:56 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Came back from Mammoth Lakes to SoCal (by car) via Hwy 395 and Hwy 14 in July. Is it doable? Yes. Is it advised? No.

The shoulders on Hwy 14 are non-existent in large parts with just rumble strips available to separate you from dirt. Winds are often a concern and there is zero shade. Traffic often zooms along at 80 mph+. As far as services, I recollect there were a couple of restaurants along 14 but nothing I could vouch for.

Hwy 395 between Mammoth Lakes and Olancha has Bishop, Big Pine, Independence and Lone Pine as stopping points to refuel/water along the way and the Hwy itself has wide shoulders and is repaved. Again, high speed traffic, no shade, high temps, and winds will be a concern.
Old 09-03-19, 01:55 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Yes it is rideable, even the northern portion of the 14. Yes, it can be hot (or cold given the time of year) and windy (though there are days when, believe or not, its calm) for most, if not all of the way (including the 395). There are services along the 14 starting from where it splits from the 395 (Bradys Mobile Station food/water), Indian Wells Brewing (beer/water), Red Rock Canyon SP (water), and Mojave (full service); 50 miles between the food stops . That said, I would exit the 14 at Rosamond and head southwest to cross the mountains on Lake Hughes Road, San Francisquito Canyon Road, or Bouquet Canyon Road, all ending in/near Santa Clarita. I wouldn't ride the 14 between Rosamond and Santa Clarita/LA as it is for all intent purposes a busy limited assess freeway, but there is no reason to ride this section of the 14 as there are parallel roads. From Santa Clarita cross over to the San Fernando Valley via The Old Road and continue south via multiple routes to Santa Monica. If you use google maps selecting bicycling, it will give you some recommendations; picking intermediate points shows you more options than just your initial start/finish points. As an alternative, you can always catch the MetroLink train in Lancaster and get a comfy ride to Union Station in downtown LA, then transfer to Metro lightrail to Santa Monica. Bikes are allowed on both and the Metrolink could be a great safety valve depending how the ride is going.

I've thought of doing this ride after a ski trip (others would drive home) but haven't pulled the trigger yet.