Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Slow Leak Venting...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Slow Leak Venting...

Old 10-17-19, 05:32 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Slow Leak Venting...

In the morning when I go out to the shed to choose a bike for my ride to the office, I'll pinch the tires of the other two bikes (plus my wife's bike) to see how they're doing.

Earlier this year my old road bike's front tire had a slow leak. Every few days it would be too low to ride, and after a week or so it would be flat. After finally pulling the innertube and inspecting it, including dunking it in water, it turned out the removable core of the presta valve was loose. I tightened it. problem solved.

Months passed, and all was good.

So four days ago I decided to take my old road bike out for a spin. This time the BACK tire was completely flat. Hmmm. I inspected the outside of the tire and saw no breeches or intrusions. It was a non-removable core valve, so that wasn't it. I pumped it up and rode for an hour. Came home and it was fine.

Monday morning it was flat again.

So I pumped it up and rode it to work today. It was fine after the 40 minute ride in. At lunch it was down from 95psi to 60. So I pulled the tube, pumped it up to 20psi and inspected it.

Didn't hear anyting. Didn't see anything. Wet my lips and ran thetube past them...didn't feel anything.

So I filled a sink and ran the tube through the water. Just as I was about to get all the way around I saw the tiniest of bubbles. Aha!

I looked and sure enough, there was a thin wire sticking in the tube. I squeezed the tube and a couple of more small bubbles came out, plus one from a few inches away at the seam. I squeezed the tube harder and circulated it around the water in the sink and more more tiny, tiny bubble began leaving the tube at various points along the seam.

Death by a thousand bubbles.

I tossed the tube and replaced it with a (hopefully) fresh one, then rode to the local bike shop to buy a new tube to put in my saddlebag.

Loose valve cores and failing seams make me wish for the simplicity of catastrophic blowouts, or at least large, easy to find punctures.

I'd even settle for snake-bites or pinch flats.
Old 10-17-19, 05:57 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Slow leaks

I hate them.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 10-17-19, 06:14 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
I'll take a leak that allows you to pump up and ride home over a blowout any day. Much easier to work on the bike in the comfort of the garage than on the side of the road.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-18-19, 01:06 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I've had a few weak seams with the thinner tubes. Thicker tubes can add noticeable rotational weight.

I only use Schrader valves, and never had a problem. I realise they're not as aerodynamic though..
Old 10-18-19, 04:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Try having it happen while you’re out on an unsupported tour. During one of my cross PA tours I awoke to a flat. Couldn’t find the leak for the longest time. Finally had to run the tube through a puddle left behind by the rain the day before. Found the tiniest whole I have ever seen. Also found the little piece of wire in the tire that had caused it.
Old 10-18-19, 06:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Sounds like a candidate for sealant.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-18-19, 08:27 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Sometimes the culprit can be a problem with the valve seat. It can deteriorate, and not be completely airtight, or it can get a bit of gunk stuck to it and cause it to not seat properly.

SB's lesson on tubes and valves -- https://www.sheldonbrown.com/inner-tubes.html#valves

Dan
Old 10-19-19, 06:19 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Tubes have only one seam, where the two ends are joined together. What you are probably referring to is a flash line created during the vulcanizing process. This flashing has no inherent weakness and thus does not fail. What you observed were probably small air bubbles from the original wire puncture migrating along the flashing line until large enough to become visible. I'd predict that if you had repaired the original wire puncture, the tube would have been just fine.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-19-19, 07:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Tubes have only one seam, where the two ends are joined together. What you are probably referring to is a flash line created during the vulcanizing process. This flashing has no inherent weakness and thus does not fail. What you observed were probably small air bubbles from the original wire puncture migrating along the flashing line until large enough to become visible. I'd predict that if you had repaired the original wire puncture, the tube would have been just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyck0QTbodo
I think you may be right.

On the other hand I felt the need to vent, and my AirZound air horns are out on the bikes in the shed.
Old 10-19-19, 01:50 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I went Mavic USTs.