Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Carbon frames and electric conversion

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 04:49 AM
biggsyB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
Could I possibly trouble you with a question regarding stress points on a carbon frame?

I have installed a bafang BBS02 on my Planet X carbon road bike and wonder if I've done something a bit dangerous by increasing the weight of the bike, as well as how the power is distributed throughout the frame.

Just wondering if any of you have ideas on where I should inspect the frame for cracks or stress most often, or if I am worrying about nothing.

Thanks a lot for any input you might have.

There were a few ideas on the pedalelecs forums, though I can't paste a link here. The best advice was that people on this forum would be the most qualified to answer the question.

(Forum in question is endless sphere 'am I asking for trouble BBS02 on carbon frame')
Old 10-18-19, 06:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
I agree with the person that said to make sure the unit doesn't loosen up. The weight is not a problem. The problem I see from a frame integrity point of view is the battery. Is it only held on by the bottle bosses? Even if there is something else holding it on, you are risking the integrity of that tube. I think i would get a seat post rack and mount the battery there. If it's only held on by the bottle bosses, you are almost guaranteed a failure