Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So I'm building a bike for my girlfriend...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 09:33 PM
Wrench_Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to find her an inexpensive frame. I've been checking all of the super-cheap sites (BD, Performance etc.) and none of them seem to have womens's-specific frames. I've measured her up, (Fit Kit) and she definitely needs a frame around 54cm with a short top tube. In other words she needs women's geometry, I'm not being naive or sexist here. Any suggestions?
Old 01-26-10, 09:39 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Here you go ...

Lil Chik rocks!

Last edited by FlatSix911; 01-26-10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 10:38 PM
h0axwa7k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't do it.
Old 01-27-10, 12:18 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So .. why are you asking here? Ever noticed the Bike Mechanics forum?

Oh. Wait.

Never mind.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-27-10, 01:21 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized, Trek, Giant...
Old 01-27-10, 08:18 AM
Wrench_Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're missing the point. I work at a shop. I cannot EP her a frame like I normally would since it clearly would not be for me. I'm trying to find an online wholesaler who carries WSD frames for Scattante cheap.
Old 01-27-10, 09:00 AM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I think WSD was shown to be a bit of a myth (marketing)? How small is she that she can't ride a normal frame? The Performance frames measure pretty small and I think are currently $99.

Rob
Old 01-27-10, 09:18 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
I think WSD was shown to be a bit of a myth (marketing)? How small is she that she can't ride a normal frame? The Performance frames measure pretty small and I think are currently $99.
Some women's frames have slightly different geometry to account for the statistically more likely proportions of women vs. men. That doesn't mean that a women's frame will have better geometry or that a "men's" frame wouldn't be fine.
Old 01-27-10, 09:37 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.cervelo.com/viewkb.aspx?id=00692
Old 01-27-10, 09:42 AM
RazorWind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So...

Itty-bitty Cervelo RS? I'm guessing that doesn't jive with his bike-shop-employee budget if he can't get employee pricing on it.
Old 01-27-10, 09:45 AM
tspek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is specific about these frames other than soft hues
Old 01-27-10, 10:08 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my $300 women's build

i measured my girlfriend and found a 80s bianchi that fit perfectly. the bike now wears NOS campy 8spd, shimano bar ends set to friction, a new 9spd ultegra cassete, new 9spd chain, and new race lites
Old 01-27-10, 10:12 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the race lite wheels are subjet to change but the bike comes in at about 21lbs, shifts great, and she like the more "vintage" look.
Old 01-27-10, 12:48 PM
availpunk9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took my girlfriend at the time, now wife, to a shop to get her fitted. I knew that particular shop had 1/3 of store dedicated to women bikes and such. She ended up on a 58 WSD Trek. Compared to a men's 58, the top tube is way shorter. Whatever you end up doing, make sure the fit is good to go.
Old 01-27-10, 01:17 PM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got my ex-wife a 2010 Specialized Ruby Pro. Then she left me. I think you should leave her before things get out of hand.
Old 01-27-10, 01:48 PM
Guillotine007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how you expect us to help without pictures of her in bibs? for fitting reasons obviously.
Old 01-27-10, 03:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Some women's frames have slightly different geometry to account for the statistically more likely proportions of women vs. men. That doesn't mean that a women's frame will have better geometry or that a "men's" frame wouldn't be fine.
Correct.
Old 01-27-10, 03:11 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrench_Monkey
I'm trying to find her an inexpensive frame. I've been checking all of the super-cheap sites (BD, Performance etc.) and none of them seem to have womens's-specific frames. I've measured her up, (Fit Kit) and she definitely needs a frame around 54cm with a short top tube. In other words she needs women's geometry, I'm not being naive or sexist here. Any suggestions?
I built a bike for my wife and it fit her well using the measurements I got from Competitive Cyclist fit calculator ( I post this in like every "what size should I buy" thread)
Old 01-27-10, 10:19 PM
Tunnelrat81

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WSD can make a significant difference for fit. Don't believe the garble about their geometry being a myth. My wife stands 5'5" and has about the same inseam that I have, and I'm a bit over 5'8". I comfortably ride a 54cm men's trek (with a 120mm stem), and she fits beautifully on a 54cm specialized Ruby.

Fit fit fit, the most important thing is to figure out if she needs a WSD at all. If not, you're in better shape for affordable options.

-Jeremy
Old 01-27-10, 11:56 PM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus

Rob
No, it is not a myth. Women in general have longer legs compared to their torsos than men do (this also varies by ethnicity). Leg and torso length are quite important for determining frame size. Women can use men's bikes, but they may not be the best fit.
Old 01-29-10, 09:02 AM
Wrench_Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that WSD makes a difference. I also know that she NEEDS WSD geometry because I did a Fit Kit on her (yes, that is what we're calling it these days) and have had her ride several different bikes. She has very long legs and a short torso. I wasn't asking whether WSD was necessary for her, I was asking if any of you know where to find a cheap women's 54cm road frame.
Old 01-29-10, 09:35 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know that WSD makes a difference. I also know that she NEEDS WSD geometry because I did a Fit Kit on her (yes, that is what we're calling it these days) and have had her ride several different bikes. She has very long legs and a short torso. I wasn't asking whether WSD was necessary for her, I was asking if any of you know where to find a cheap women's 54cm road frame.
This is bikeforums, not reading the actual question is par for the course. As for your actual question, I don't know the answer. I know that some of the "big" companies offer them but I don't know about the cheap ones. I doubt that many will offer them, just because it's more sizes to stock and they spend less on marketing them.
Old 01-29-10, 10:12 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lets see...

Cheap
For a girlfriend
Already know the size
OP can/will/wants to build it himself

Bikes Direct? Nomally I am with everyone else when it comes to BD, but once in a while they serve a purpose, and this seems like one of those times.
Old 01-29-10, 11:31 AM
kenshinvt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are so certain that she needs WSD, then why don't you explain to us what WSD is in exact terms? I agree with what others have said that it is a marketing term that different companies use to refer to the small tweaks they make to their frames to, in their often merely subjective opinion, make frames fit women better. With some companies it is simply small-sized frames with narrow handlebars and short-reach shifters. There is no standard and some companies discredit the idea entirely (e.g., cervelo).

What you need is a frame with a short top tube relative to the other dimensions. If you just search for a "women's 54cm" you may rule out plenty of good frames and/or end up with something with a top tube that is too long. There is nothing inherently female about that kind of frame. Take the measurements you have already used and calculate the stack and reach values that are ideal for her fit. Then calculate it for each frame you are looking at (if the manufacturer doesn't provide it already). You will notice that some frames have a shorter reach relative to the stack. That's what you want.
Old 01-29-10, 12:39 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The difference in effective top tube in WSD bikes vs non-WSD bikes of the same manufacturer and model seems to range from 0 difference to less than 1cm for a medium bike, whereas the difference in effective top tube from manufacturer to manufacturer for like seat tube length is often significantly greater than that. Which is why so many riders fit on a range of sizes, depending on the brand and model.

Such a minor variance makes the "WSD" difference insignificant and easliy accomodated with the variety of stems and handlebars available. That's not to say that many riders would not fit well on a "WSD" bike, but it has little to do with their sex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.