Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Trek's Questionable Advertising

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 01:16 PM
Oldsid

Bikes: Trek 7200+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are buying a Trek 7200+, be aware that what you will get is not completely the same as Trek’s advertising. The picture under features of the 7200+ (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rid/7200_plus/) shows a view of the Ride+ Classic controller. Under the details tab, it says the bike comes with the “Ride+ E-Z controller.” This controller has limited functionality compared to the Classic Controller.

I found this out when I took delivery of my 7200+. I am returning the bike to the dealer and upgrading to the FX+. Ironically the advertising for the FX+ is also deceptive. Under the details tab for the FX+ it says the bike comes with the “Ride+ G-2” (https://www.bionxinternational.com/en...tems/consoles/) controller. Under the Features section it shows a picture of the Ride+ Classic Controller, which is actually what the FX+ comes with. At least that is the controller that is on another FX+ that is on the floor of the local dealer. In fact, on the Bionx website (https://www.bionxinternational.com/en...tems/consoles/) it says the G-1 Classic console is no longer available. Since the FX+ I am buying is on order I don’t know if it will have the same controller as the one they have on the floor, or if it will actually have the G-2 controller. Didn’t get much of an answer from the Dealer. If mine comes with the G-2, I will be pleasantly surprised, but I’m not holding my breath.

I will post here again with the details when I actually take delivery, and also a ride review after I get some time on the bike.

In any event, Trek really should clean up their advertising. When you research bikes on the Internet, the advertising is about all you have to go on, versus actually seeing one on the floor and maybe test riding it before buying. My opinion of Treks advertising of these two bikes comes under the heading of “false advertising” or maybe even “bait and switch.”

Last edited by Oldsid; 04-13-12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 09:07 PM
w1cdo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought and returned a Transport+ whose controller was a small rectangular device which only controlled motor functions. I was very basic and not at all like the picture on their web site.
John Maguire
Seattle
Old 04-13-12, 03:05 PM
Oldsid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by w1cdo
I just bought and returned a Transport+ whose controller was a small rectangular device which only controlled motor functions. I was very basic and not at all like the picture on their web site.
John Maguire
Seattle
That is what was on the 7200+ that I bought and returned. It is called the Easy Controller, which on Treks website in the fine print under the details tab is what it says. But the picture like you said shows the G-1.

It remains to be seen what the FX+ that I ordered will have on it. When I ask the salesman his eyes glaze over. All I know is the one that have on the floor (different size) has the G-1.

Today I went to another dealer and I told him my tale of woe trying to find out the facts. He had an FX+ on the floor with the G-1 controller and he told me that it is last years model. And he offered to sell it to me for $2200. So when mine comes and if it doesn't have the G-2 controller (2012 model) and has the G-1 instead we will be doing some price negotiation. Note that on the Bionx website, it says the G-1 is no longer available. I wonder if Trek got stuck with some G-1 controllers and are trying to pass them off as normal equipment. My dealer never said anything to me about 2011 or 2012 models. Maybe hoping I wouldn't ask?
Old 04-14-12, 04:00 PM
Yumadons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, our 2011 FX+ (purchased 11/2010) has the G-2 controller. The odometer is in km and none of the bike shops it's been to nor Trek-service-by-phone have ever been able to figure out how to change it to miles. It shows speed in mph tho. Weird.

Our small town Trek dealer had to send his mechanic to school before he was allowed to get it for us and even then, I think he had a personal connection in Trek hierarchy. So we're lucky we got it at all and our shop is learning as we go. Luckily it hasn't had many problems.

A few Trek dealers on our TransAm ride told us that Trek won't let them put just one or two electric bikes on the floor, they have to agree to buy 5. Small shops don't have the $$ or space for that, making it such a rare bird that it's hard to find shops who know the bike. Even in the cycling mecca of Eugene, OR, none of the 3 Trek shops in town could do a computer update to our FX+, we had to take it to Corvallis. It's a great bike, wish it would become more popular!
Old 04-19-12, 02:06 PM
Oldsid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumadons
FWIW, our 2011 FX+ (purchased 11/2010) has the G-2 controller. The odometer is in km and none of the bike shops it's been to nor Trek-service-by-phone have ever been able to figure out how to change it to miles. It shows speed in mph tho. Weird.

Our small town Trek dealer had to send his mechanic to school before he was allowed to get it for us and even then, I think he had a personal connection in Trek hierarchy. So we're lucky we got it at all and our shop is learning as we go. Luckily it hasn't had many problems.

A few Trek dealers on our TransAm ride told us that Trek won't let them put just one or two electric bikes on the floor, they have to agree to buy 5. Small shops don't have the $$ or space for that, making it such a rare bird that it's hard to find shops who know the bike. Even in the cycling mecca of Eugene, OR, none of the 3 Trek shops in town could do a computer update to our FX+, we had to take it to Corvallis. It's a great bike, wish it would become more popular!
I contacted Trek Customer Service and was told that if an FX+ if ordered from the warehouse, it will come with the G-2 Console. I just took delivery today of my new FX+and it looks great and does have the G-2 Controller, so I am a happy camper. My only problem now is I just got my wife home from the hospital yesterday and can't leave her alone to go riding. She had/has 9 fractured ribs, a fractured clavicle and a fractured scapula. All from a bike ride she was on last Saturday which ended with an ambulance ride to the hospital. And to add insult to injury, she had just purchased a new Carbon Fiber Specialized and hadn't taken delivery yet. She was riding her Steel frame Giant which never did fit her properly.
Old 05-28-12, 05:29 AM
rathawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsid
If you are buying a Trek 7200+, be aware that what you will get is not completely the same as Trek’s advertising. The picture under features of the 7200+ (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rid/7200_plus/) shows a view of the Ride+ Classic controller. Under the details tab, it says the bike comes with the “Ride+ E-Z controller.” This controller has limited functionality compared to the Classic Controller.

I found this out when I took delivery of my 7200+. I am returning the bike to the dealer and upgrading to the FX+. Ironically the advertising for the FX+ is also deceptive. Under the details tab for the FX+ it says the bike comes with the “Ride+ G-2” (https://www.bionxinternational.com/en...tems/consoles/) controller. Under the Features section it shows a picture of the Ride+ Classic Controller, which is actually what the FX+ comes with. At least that is the controller that is on another FX+ that is on the floor of the local dealer. In fact, on the Bionx website (https://www.bionxinternational.com/en...tems/consoles/) it says the G-1 Classic console is no longer available. Since the FX+ I am buying is on order I don’t know if it will have the same controller as the one they have on the floor, or if it will actually have the G-2 controller. Didn’t get much of an answer from the Dealer. If mine comes with the G-2, I will be pleasantly surprised, but I’m not holding my breath.

I will post here again with the details when I actually take delivery, and also a ride review after I get some time on the bike.

In any event, Trek really should clean up their advertising. When you research bikes on the Internet, the advertising is about all you have to go on, versus actually seeing one on the floor and maybe test riding it before buying. My opinion of Treks advertising of these two bikes comes under the heading of “false advertising” or maybe even “bait and switch.”

at the bottom of every bike page on Trek's website under the details tab you will find this statement. "We reserve the right to make changes to the product information contained on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to equipment, specifications, models, colors, and materials."
caveat emptor
Old 05-31-12, 01:44 PM
dgk02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do they still lack a throttle? That was a big difference between the BionX kit and the Trek implementation when I bought my Valencia+. No throttle, you must pedal. I like it that way since it does prevent me from getting overly lazy. I often ride without any assist or at most 1 (25%). It is a great bike once I got past all the broken spoke problems. I've thought about upgrading the controller but the one I have is decent enough.
Old 06-04-12, 06:07 AM
BobV13

Bikes: FUJI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dgk02, I believe none of the Trek + bikes has a throttle (99% sure). That is the case for my Trek FX+. My biggest issue is the bike's weight. It alone necessitates the use of power assist level 1 most of the time. That said I do ride with a local club on rides up to 40 miles.

Oldsid, I hope the wife is feeling better and Yumadons, yes the controler is weird in that is shows MPH but will not show distance in miles.
Old 06-11-12, 06:08 AM
Oldsid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobV13
dgk02, I believe none of the Trek + bikes has a throttle (99% sure). That is the case for my Trek FX+. My biggest issue is the bike's weight. It alone necessitates the use of power assist level 1 most of the time. That said I do ride with a local club on rides up to 40 miles.

Oldsid, I hope the wife is feeling better and Yumadons, yes the controler is weird in that is shows MPH but will not show distance in miles.
I "think" US models have no throttle because of US law says in order to be legally classified as a bicycle they have to be limited to 20 MPH with power or assist.

Yes, the wife is doing great after her accident. She is riding again on her new carbon bike and loves it. Limited to short trips yet (max so far 8.5 miles) until she gets her confidence back.
Old 06-11-12, 05:18 PM
dgk02

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsid
I "think" US models have no throttle because of US law says in order to be legally classified as a bicycle they have to be limited to 20 MPH with power or assist.

Yes, the wife is doing great after her accident. She is riding again on her new carbon bike and loves it. Limited to short trips yet (max so far 8.5 miles) until she gets her confidence back.

But you can limit an Ebike that has a throttle. I bought my Significant Other a Currie EcoRide which is a 250 watt bike with a throttle, but the motor alone won't reach over 16mph. I just got tired of hearing "why do you get to ride the electric bike?". Because no one else is riding that Trek, that's why.
Old 06-11-12, 05:22 PM
dgk02

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobV13

It does weigh a fair bit, but I don't know that it weighs any more than any other motor-hub ebike. I bought it because it was a real bike first, with a motor that I could use or not. I sometimes do use it on 0, but often 1 just to counter the added weight. It's more the balance that I mind, maybe because of the rack-mounted battery. It is much more stealthy that way, but having that weight at the top makes it difficult to perch on a kickstand. Maybe the later generations have been better that way but I have to be real careful how I leave it or it will topple over.

Mostly I have it in my garage or safely tucked in my office so it isn't a huge problem.
Old 06-13-12, 11:44 AM
Ypedal

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Motor Controller on Bionx, is inside the hub motor, the console on the handlebars is only used to tweak throttle response and regen level..

I have an Ultra-Motors A2B Metro and it has a similar motor ( actually made by BionX with a different looking shell ), it runs without even using the console, just hard-set to maximum power level wich is what most people want anyways..
Old 06-13-12, 05:01 PM
dgk02

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh no, most of the time I use the minimum amount of power that I can since I want exercise out of this adventure. But it's nice to know that it's there when I want it. But I'm not most people of course.
Old 06-14-12, 10:53 AM
Ypedal

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your throttle still allows you to use as little or as much power as you want, while you pedal, no need to have the console limit you further.

the console sounds fancy on paper, and is a marketable item.. but in real life the simpler solution is often the best.