Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Shop in Vancouver

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Shop in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 09:55 AM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Shop in Vancouver

Anybody know a shop in Vancouver preferably near the airport? Just in case. Thanks.
Old 02-23-18, 10:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Google maps is your friend

There are two shops within 10 km's of the airport, depending on direction of travel. West Point cycle is north bound in the south Kerrisdale area and Caps/Krusty's is east bound towards Richmond. After that, north bound there are many in the Vancouver proper area.

Where are you riding to?
Old 02-23-18, 10:56 AM
GP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Where are you riding to?
Home! San Diego.
Old 02-23-18, 02:19 PM
Happy Feet

Nice!

I am thinking of doing Vancouver to Portland this summer. Will you go 101 inland or around the Olymipic Pennisula?

The worst part of the trip in the beginning will just be getting out of the airport to the border crossing at Blaine. If you go south on the 99 it's shoulders but crazy drivers and you need to take a shuttle through the Massey Tunnel https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...massey-shuttle.

Otherwise you can try to cross east on the 91 to make the Annacis Island bridge but traffic is heavy on those routes too.

The bike shop (Caps) in Richmond is close by your route at 135-8460 Alexandra Rd, Richmond, BC V6X 3L4.
Old 02-25-18, 04:21 PM
GP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Nice!

I am thinking of doing Vancouver to Portland this summer. Will you go 101 inland or around the Olymipic Pennisula?

The worst part of the trip in the beginning will just be getting out of the airport to the border crossing at Blaine. If you go south on the 99 it's shoulders but crazy drivers and you need to take a shuttle through the Massey Tunnel https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...massey-shuttle.

Otherwise you can try to cross east on the 91 to make the Annacis Island bridge but traffic is heavy on those routes too.

The bike shop (Caps) in Richmond is close by your route at 135-8460 Alexandra Rd, Richmond, BC V6X 3L4.
Thanks. We'll be doing the Olympic Peninsula route. Thanks for the tips on the route. I haven't been on a tour more than a week long in 4 years and I'm pretty excited.
Old 03-03-18, 11:27 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding over the Port Mann is pretty awesome. I have done it a couple of times and traffic is not bad.

If you are doing the Peninsula route, why not ride to the Tsawwassen Ferry then to Victoria and then the Blackball to Port Angeles. If you are not in a hurry, the Gulf Islands are a worthy stop.
Old 03-04-18, 01:04 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by aroundoz
Riding over the Port Mann is pretty awesome. I have done it a couple of times and traffic is not bad.

If you are doing the Peninsula route, why not ride to the Tsawwassen Ferry then to Victoria and then the Blackball to Port Angeles. If you are not in a hurry, the Gulf Islands are a worthy stop.
Just curious, where were you coming or going from when you rode over that a couple of times? It's the complete opposite direction from where GP is going.
Old 03-04-18, 10:40 AM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My apologies, I had my bridges confused. I meant the Alex Fraser Bridge (what you called the Annacis Island Bridge) so we are on the same page.

It's an enjoyable ride if you take the correct roads and the bridge is a blast to ride over. Richmond is a popular road biking area and so is Delta/Ladner and once you are on the other side it starts out industrial then it's country roads to the ferry. There can be a lot of traffic but you will have a good shoulder and on the bridge you are of course separated.

I live in Vancouver now but prior to moving here, I parked at Tsawwassen and road north up the Sunshine Coast then returned via Vancouver Island.
Old 03-04-18, 09:34 PM
Happy Feet

That makes sense.

I also did the sunshine coast route a couple of years ago up to Powell River and across (by ferry) to Comox and down Vancouver Island on the old coastal hwy. It's a trip I'd recommend to anyone Combined with another week in the Gulf Islands it's on Par with the Columbia Icefield Parkway for scenery.

With the Gulf Islands, the smaller ferries run on funny schedules (sometimes only once or twice a day) so timing them is important. I did a five day trip on four of them (Pender, Salt Spring, Maine and Galliano, spending a day on each exploring.

But for the OP, GP, the ride south from the border through Deception Pass, Oak Harbour, to the ferry over to Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula is also fantastic so it would be hard to miss that route for the other. Fort Casey is worth exploring for a couple of hours at least as is Port Townsend - and that's not even starting hwy 101 yet!

Great trip through there. I have driven it many times going to dive sites and hope to ride it this summer.
Old 03-09-18, 07:14 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not close to the airport (20kms away I think) but Dream Cycle on Commercial Drive Has Schwalbe tires, decent racks high end touring components basically. If you need something specific I recommend giving them a call. The owner's a really nice guy and I'd bet he'd help you out with whatever you need. A few kms away is Bike Doctor on Broadway which isn't as touring specific but they have a lot of touring stuff and it's a big store so lots of stock. There are a whole bunch of bike shops and outdoor shops in that area but those are my two faves. There's also Mountain Equipment Co-op on Broadway which is probably the cheapest place to snag gear (it's a huge store) but being a co-op you have to pay $5 for a membership. Usually the difference in price for even one item makes up for that. There may be some stores that sell bike stuff in Richmond but it's probably not going to be anywhere near as good as the aforementioned. DEFINITELY lock your bike up in Vancouver though, lots of bike theft there and all kinds of property crime.