Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 08:12 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 203 Posts
  • Saturday: 64.24 miles; got my Strava Club Gran Fondo (100 km ride) for April.
  • Yesterday: 24.48 miles on the Monday club ride
  • 14 miles worth of miscellaneous local eBike rides for commuting and errands since Saturday. (saving my legs for the club rides)
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-23-24, 10:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 5,678 Times in 2,931 Posts
50 miles with 1,400’ around Lake Washington/. Tried to keep it to Z2 but had over 30 mins of Z3 with 650 Watts some how appearing some where. Low 70s and high times.

Garmin scolded me again for ‘over extending’ and being ‘unproductive’. Se la vi

Last edited by rsbob; 04-23-24 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-23-24, 10:46 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
50 miles with 1,400’ around Lake Washington. Low 70s and high times.

Garmin scolded me again for ‘over extending’ and being ‘unproductive’. Se la vi
I was out there too starting at Log Boom Park heading southbound around 3:15pm. I went over to the UW, Gasworks, Fremont, and Ballard a little bit past the locks. I got in 39 miles today. The weather was very nice. I'm so glad that they fixed some of those bad tree ruts. Looks like they were doing some other work too as we were detoured on to Riviera PL NE for a few blocks.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 04-23-24, 11:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I was out there too starting at Log Boom Park heading southbound around 3:15pm. I went over to the UW, Gasworks, Fremont, and Ballard a little bit past the locks. I got in 39 miles today. The weather was very nice. I'm so glad that they fixed some of those bad tree ruts. Looks like they were doing some other work too as we were detoured on to Riviera PL NE for a few blocks.
We may have crossed paths - at least we rode the same path to UW. So encouraged the BG is being fixed. So many bone rattling sections where I don’t dare grab a water bottle. I started at Enetai Beach in Bellevue and went anti-clockwise starting at 2:30. Total ride time was 3 hours 15 mins - with a quick stop at a Leschi bike shop for minor repair.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-24-24, 04:12 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 137 Posts
Did a quick 18 mile ride yesterday to test my Brooks C17 saddle and what a weird feeling. No padding, hard plastic, yet I didn't even feel the seat underneath. Seems like it also helped with back and knee pain. No pain next day either! I also ordered B17, but not sure it's worth going through break-in process.

Last edited by XxHaimBondxX; 04-24-24 at 04:15 AM.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-25-24, 01:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,922 Posts
frosty 30 miles in the blazing 19F... Spring was good while it lasted...
Old 04-25-24, 03:03 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 652 Posts
25 -30km in a not so well lit gravelly terrain near the river then some portions of road. My 1992 upgraded Giant Tourer proved me that long rides on bumpy and gravelly roads can be done without issues. The mavic A719 rims fitted with XT 780 T hubs,Schwalbe Marathon 700*35 tires and Slime tubes are a must gravel/hybrid bike wheel combination and the full XT 780Ttransmission proved once again both very reliable ,trustworthy and responsive components of the bike, the upright position of the Giant Tourer allowed me to ride in comfort and safety. Very delighted by this everning ride
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-25-24, 06:08 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,759 Times in 1,021 Posts
got in 26 outside today, too nice of a day to ride inside.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-25-24, 06:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Troul
frosty 30 miles in the blazing 19F... Spring was good while it lasted...
WTF... its almost May, do you live at the north pole?

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-25-24, 06:54 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
It was 27F when I rode to work earlier this week. Not the north pole, or even the great white north. Just beautiful Fargo ND in all it's glory.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 04-25-24, 07:19 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
It was 27F when I rode to work earlier this week. Not the north pole, or even the great white north. Just beautiful Fargo ND in all it's glory.
I been told ND is the North Pole lite...

Old 04-25-24, 08:16 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 351 Posts
Spent the last few days in out of town for a work assignment, so I was speeding home today to get a ride in. I ended up running into my "training partner" down in town and we raced up one of the local climbs(I lost.) My legs were a little sore from some running this week, but I decided to go ahead and do some threshold intervals today...which I'm now glad I did.

Anyway...a measly 22 miles and 2600' of climbing. I managed to set a couple of time PRs, including 2nd O/A on a climb. More incessant bragging from me, my power numbers were quite spicy on this ride...averaged 350 watts for 11 minutes on the first climb and then backed it up with 375 watts for 12.5 minutes on the following climb. Normalized power of 303 watts for the ride.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-26-24, 03:20 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 416 Posts
113km, following my usual route. The day was hot and sunny, and the bugs are getting thick. I rode out to the countryside in Saitama, had lunch next to the river under a nice shady tree. Then I rode 60km to Kasai Rinkai park by Tokyo Bay and had a double cheeseburger and fries at Burger King, then rode the rest of the way home. I had to fight through the usual headwind for most of the ride, but managed to finish feeling good. I’ll shoot for 125km next week.

Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-26-24, 09:04 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 203 Posts
Wednesday, I led my first regular Wednesday ride for my club. Unfortunately, they also scheduled a short-notice club meeting for the same time across town to discuss what to do about some "outlaw riders" that have attached themselves to our Thursday night fast ride, making it unsafe. (riding in pelotons, blocking the entire lane on a two lane highway)

...so only two other people showed up, a married couple. The man is one of our club's stronger riders; much faster than me. The woman is on a Domane+, so we don't worry about dropping her. (hers is a Class 1, so we DO drop her on the downhills, but she catches up on the uphills or flats) I'm only capable of 16 mph average with a 95% effort. This is relevant because the Wednesday ride is supposed to be a slow-moderate pace for beginners, 13-16 mph. I could ride as hard as I wanted to, because he's faster and she's on an eBike. :-)

That was a long-winded way of saying I got a nice 20 mile ride in Wednesday night. Here's the ride.

This weekend, I have my daughter and I'm not hopeful to get a proper ride in, so I took Ye Olde Schwinn on the commute today. (only 4 miles, round trip) My stepdaughter is competing in the state solo singing competition tomorrow. Maybe my daughter and I will ride to it? Her first number is at her high school only 1.5 miles away, and the next one is an hour later across town, 7-3/4 miles away. That's an easy eBike ride, and we could go along the lake for better views and a few extra miles.

{tangent} We're thinking of taking the train downtown Chicago on Sunday to visit the Art Institute. Daughter said she wants to go ALL DAY, which is 11-5; not bad for a 12 year old! Then, she'll push me to take her to her favorite pizza place, Aurelio's in the south loop, on Michigan Ave. She has forgotten that we agreed that next time we'll go to The Berghoff instead. Maybe we'll take our cheap bikes? She has an old Trek mountain bike with street tires and a cushy seat and I have my 1972 Schwinn Varsity, which is good because it has quick-release NOTHING.{/tangent}

Last edited by Smaug1; 04-26-24 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Added links
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-26-24, 09:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Spent the last few days in out of town for a work assignment, so I was speeding home today to get a ride in. I ended up running into my "training partner" down in town and we raced up one of the local climbs(I lost.) My legs were a little sore from some running this week, but I decided to go ahead and do some threshold intervals today...which I'm now glad I did.

Anyway...a measly 22 miles and 2600' of climbing. I managed to set a couple of time PRs, including 2nd O/A on a climb. More incessant bragging from me, my power numbers were quite spicy on this ride...averaged 350 watts for 11 minutes on the first climb and then backed it up with 375 watts for 12.5 minutes on the following climb. Normalized power of 303 watts for the ride.
Damn! You need to either do more running, days off or both.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-26-24, 09:29 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Smaug1
Wednesday, I led my first regular Wednesday ride for my club. Unfortunately, they also scheduled a short-notice club meeting for the same time across town to discuss what to do about some "outlaw riders" that have attached themselves to our Thursday night fast ride, making it unsafe. (riding in pelotons, blocking the entire lane on a two lane highway)

...so only two other people showed up, a married couple. The man is one of our club's stronger riders; much faster than me. The woman is on a Domane+, so we don't worry about dropping her. (hers is a Class 1, so we DO drop her on the downhills, but she catches up on the uphills or flats) I'm only capable of 16 mph average with a 95% effort. This is relevant because the Wednesday ride is supposed to be a slow-moderate pace for beginners, 13-16 mph. I could ride as hard as I wanted to, because he's faster and she's on an eBike. :-)

That was a long-winded way of saying I got a nice 20 mile ride in Wednesday night. Here's the ride.

This weekend, I have my daughter and I'm not hopeful to get a proper ride in, so I took Ye Olde Schwinn on the commute today. (only 4 miles, round trip) My stepdaughter is competing in the state solo singing competition tomorrow. Maybe my daughter and I will ride to it? Her first number is at her high school only 1.5 miles away, and the next one is an hour later across town, 7-3/4 miles away. That's an easy eBike ride, and we could go along the lake for better views and a few extra miles.

{tangent} We're thinking of taking the train downtown Chicago on Sunday to visit the Art Institute. Daughter said she wants to go ALL DAY, which is 11-5; not bad for a 12 year old! Then, she'll push me to take her to her favorite pizza place, Aurelio's in the south loop, on Michigan Ave. She has forgotten that we agreed that next time we'll go to The Berghoff instead. Maybe we'll take our cheap bikes? She has an old Trek mountain bike with street tires and a cushy seat and I have my 1972 Schwinn Varsity, which is good because it has quick-release NOTHING.{/tangent}
A few years back, I belonged to a group of cyclists in the bike club which were probably about CAT 5s. Each weekend, a group ranging from 7-15 would get together and ride 60-70 miles at an average speed of about 20 MPH. This group ran well for five years until some outlaws joined us decided to disobey the rules, like blocking traffic lanes, running red lights, flipping off drivers and riding in an unsafe manner. The club (15,000 members) then dissolved the group as a result. Sad times but necessary. (The original members then had clandestine rides without the scofflaws)

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-26-24, 10:27 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,922 Posts
A decent 33°F 45 miler ride today. The clouds are bringing in more moiiistness tomorrow. Ugh!

lol! We get 1 spring, 1 summer, 1 fall, & 20+ winters here.
Old 04-26-24, 11:50 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 351 Posts
It's back to crappy weather up here in the mountains, It's 41F as I type this soooo...a zone 2 ride of 20 miles and 4500' up the virtual Daylight Pass in fake Death Valley.

Originally Posted by rsbob
Damn! You need to either do more running, days off or both.
Lol. I've only run twice this year, so I guess it's reasonable to have sore legs. The big thing is my quads take some time to adjust to the impacts of running. I don't particularly enjoy running and wouldn't partake in it otherwise, but it's almost kind of a necessity once I get into the busy season at work.

As far as the power, I don't think I've put in as much high-intensity work as I could've this year...although part of that is down to illness and injury at incredibly poor times. So now I'm just aiming to mix in more some workouts to boost the FTP...especially since most of my events for the rest of the season are gravel races, and I haven't had a lot of success so far in gravel.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-26-24, 12:19 PM
jaxgtr

Replaced the main circuit board in my refrig this morning, damn thing cost me $245, but beats 2.5K for a new one. So since it went so easy and I took the day off work, I decide to go out to the rail trail and do a time trial as I figure wont be too busy and its limited on points where car cross it. Its a 29.2 mile route, 14.5 mile legs, out and back. Got a personal best time and power even with a 15 to 20 mph wind on the return 14.5 mile leg. All that Rouvy climbing it really paying off on the flats.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-26-24, 05:46 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
I been told ND is the North Pole lite...
That's Alberta, particularly Edmonton. I had to go to southern Saskatchewan this winter for work. It was around -20F here in Fargo, -28F where we were in Saskatchewan, and -50F in Edmonton. And even colder in Fairbanks Alaska (which is close enough for government work to the North Pole.
Old 04-26-24, 08:57 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
That's Alberta, particularly Edmonton. I had to go to southern Saskatchewan this winter for work. It was around -20F here in Fargo, -28F where we were in Saskatchewan, and -50F in Edmonton. And even colder in Fairbanks Alaska (which is close enough for government work to the North Pole.
Brrr, back in 80's when I was in the Navy, we happened to be on a short term det in Scotland chasing some soviet Subs when they did a massive break out of their Northern Fleet sub base, they sent out 8 subs at once, not uncommon, but sends people into a panic. So we ended up shifting to Iceland to follow 4 of the subs going toward Greenland and then down the East Coast. Having been deployed to Iceland for 6 months in the winter before, it is not what you would call paradise. So after they pass Greenland and get closer to the east coast, we transition to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Iceland in January is downright balmy compared to the deep freezer that Halifax in late January. Then to add to the agony, the subs stuck around the Canadian Maritimes for some reason versus continuing down to Cuba like their normal habits, so we spent 2 weeks freezing in Halifax. I do not know how people live there in that crap. I was a very happy boy when they told us we could go back to Bermuda, which is where I was deployed to at the time. While not warm that time of year, and lots of rain, it was above 10F and not 30 mph blowing winds, so it might as well have been 90 to me.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-26-24, 09:34 PM
PrincipalRider

Bikes: 2020 Niner RIP9 RDO, 2022 OptOut Hooky, 2023 Salsa Journeyer, 1997 Trek Multitrack 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Only 6 miles. But lots of elevation gain through super technical single track.
Likes For PrincipalRider:
Old 04-26-24, 10:35 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 249 Posts
Tuesday I went 64 miles on my Rohloff14 heavyweight north to Gibbons, to start the highway season, 10:30 to 6:40. DQ lunch and A+W small supper.
There's 3 valley dips, the steep 2nd one I got to 41.1 mph. My nose was too low to enjoy the view. LOL
It got up to a nice 68F. Had my jacket on till 4:30. Light wind but still slowed me till I took it off. Hands were lightly sun roasted. Last year I went 92 hot miles first ride in May and both arms were fried for 2 weeks. Oooof.
No farmers plowing yet, very dry fields. The road was smoother than usual and mostly clean. Passed by 3 tools, one was a big all rusty wrench, weird.
I saw 6 other middle age guys for once, the last one had a high end CF racer, going for an evening ride.
Then Thursday I put on a new chain and added 8 ml oil since it's been 2 years.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-26-24 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 04-27-24, 07:03 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 137 Posts
Cracked 30 miles this chilly morning. Used oem specialized saddle instead of Brooks, so naturally butt hurts a bit.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-27-24, 10:21 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

How fer did I ride today/yesterday? Zero. Had 15 yards (I full dump truck) of garden mulch delivered and spent 8 hours and 8,500 steps spreading it around the upper garden. Looks like I have another 12+ yards to go. Too exhausted to cycle - but Mrs RSbob is encouraging me to slow down and get in some riding time - that’s why I married her, or maybe its the other way around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.