Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Canyon vs Orbea vs Cube downcountry bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 05:42 AM
cpper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a downcountry bike out of the following 3:I'm also open to alternatives up to 4700 EUR (should be shipped from Europe). What I care about the most is climbing performance (from smooth tarmac to gnarly technical rooty trails). Second important factor would be general comfort on the bike, for day-long rides. And third factor would be downhill performance. Currently I have a 470mm reach, 100mm fork aluminum hardtail, that of course climbs ok on non-technical stuff. However, on stuff like roots, where riding out of the saddle is the only option (on a hardtail at least), I feel like an efficient full sus bike would do better. I also want to have more fun on the descends, without being forced to brake so much in order to not fly off the bike. So basically I'm looking for a bike that:
  • climbs as well or better on tarmac and easy terrain
  • climbs definitely better on technical stuff
  • descends definitely better
compared to my hardtail. What would you go with?
Old 03-07-24, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Which bike felt the best out of those three? That would be the one I would choose. In the end my mountain bike is terrible for tarmac and I like it that way I got a mountain bike to ride on trails not on the tarmac I have road and hybrid stuff for that.
Old 03-07-24, 07:49 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
IDK what the price is in other parts of the world, but there are some crazy deals in the US right now on the Cervelo ZFS5. You can get it in either 100 or 120mm travel...I've got its corporate cousin, the Santa Cruz Blur in the 120mm travel build. I'd imagine the Cevelo would feel very similar, but my Santa Cruz is a very efficient peddler and probably one of the more "capable" descenders out of the "downcountry" bikes. It's my XC race bike, replacing a Specialized Epic with 100/100mm travel. It's marginally heavier than Specialized, but doesn't give anything up in smooth sections...and I can ride it considerably faster in anything remotely technical.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 03-31-24, 08:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Sadly, the ZFS-5 that I got for $4.2K is 6,800 Euros.

But you could probably fly here and buy it and take it home and still come out ahead.
Old 03-31-24, 08:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
The Lux is newly redesigned (Pinkbike slammed the previous version, but Canyon appears to have addressed the critique). Orbea and Cube both strike me as quite pricey (as does Santa Cruz).
Old 04-01-24, 12:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
If money is no option, you could consider the Yeti ASR - looks pretty sick. I had considered the Orbea and was attracted to the squidlock remote, but it was too pricey for me.

https://yeticycles.com/bikes/asr
Likes For TMonk: