Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Going from a dropper post back to a standard post?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Going from a dropper post back to a standard post?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23, 08:16 AM
The Wookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I find a dropper seat to be a bit of a fad. Fashionable now, but helpful, I’m not so sure.
Old 12-14-23, 08:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by The Wookie
Yeah, I find a dropper seat to be a bit of a fad. Fashionable now, but helpful, I’m not so sure.
Yeah, just like disc brakes and suspension.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-14-23, 08:38 AM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
And just like dropper posts, depending on what and where you are riding, not always a necessary component. Those things are not the be-all, end-all.

For what I ride, disk brakes and dropper posts are unnecessary extra weight that I don't need. Full suspension definitely not necessary either, but it's great that cyclists today can choose what works best for them and their needs.
Likes For purpurite:
Old 12-14-23, 09:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by purpurite
And just like dropper posts, depending on what and where you are riding, not always a necessary component. Those things are not the be-all, end-all.

For what I ride, disk brakes and dropper posts are unnecessary extra weight that I don't need. Full suspension definitely not necessary either, but it's great that cyclists today can choose what works best for them and their needs.
So, you think that suspension, droppers and disc brakes are “fads”?

You all have some really interesting definitions of “fad”.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-14-23, 09:07 AM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Did I say that? No. Reading is a skill. Those components have their place, for sure. But on a gravel bike built for riding railroad paths, do you need a dropper and suspension? No. Do you need a full-sus mountain bike for Midwestern trails? Certainly not, a hardtail is a majority of mountain biking today. Does disc brakes make for a better road bike? It's certainly debatable, and I prefer weight advantages over the marginal stopping power discs provide on a road bike.

Don't be myopic. Not everyone has the same needs on a bike. I definitely don't need the added pound of a dropper post on a fat bike.
Old 12-14-23, 09:24 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I don't doubt for a minute that they are very helpful for some riders in some conditions. I'd expect that most who want full suspension want a dropper. Note that I said most not all. I for one don't want a dropper on my bike, but I am an oldtimer who is set in my ways. I don't think it is a fad. It is here to stay. It just may not be for everyone.

There is still a place for hardtails and even rigid MTBs.

I don't see why anyone would use rim brakes on a MTB other than on a retro frame and fork that didn't support discs. They do still work okay on my old 1990 rigid bike which I still choose to ride sometimes despite have newer bikes, but I wouldn't choose them on a new MTB.
Old 12-14-23, 09:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Did I say that? No. Reading is a skill. .
Yes, reading is a skill. And you were replying to a sidebar exchange about whether droppers were a FAD. Did you read that?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-14-23, 09:44 AM
purpurite

Yes, reading is a skill. And you were replying to a sidebar exchange about whether droppers were a FAD. Did you read that?
Correct, and I NEVER said dropper posts were a fad. You put those words in my mouth.
Old 12-14-23, 09:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by staehpj1
There is still a place for hardtails and even rigid MTBs.
But that does not make suspension a "fad".
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-14-23, 09:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Correct, and I NEVER said dropper posts were a fad. You put those words in my mouth.
So just out of curiosity, what did your post have to do with the sidebar you were responding to?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-14-23, 09:58 AM
staehpj1

But that does not make suspension a "fad".
I never said or implied that it did. Someone else may have said that, but if so it wasn't me. I own a full suspension bike and ride it prettty nearly every day. I also own a hard tail and a rigid MTB that I ride much less frequently.
Old 12-14-23, 10:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

My point was that droppers are no more of a “fad” than suspension or disc brakes.

None of them are fads. They are all widely adopted, and show no signs of waning in popularity.

Just because some people do not use/like/need something does not mean it is a fad.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-14-23, 08:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Droppers are great and if you aren't wanting to use one don't same thing with any other parts of a mountain bike but a full suspension bike with a dropper and disc brakes is pretty handy. Not always needed and yes back in the day we rode just fine and survived, John Tomac...but I will say I have felt more confident on modern bikes with modern components. All mountain bikes are awesome (I am talking mountain bikes not stuff designed to just look like it) but there are some things that were a lot better than others.

Do I need a dropper no but ask Breezer and Angell who invented the Hite-Rite way back in the day. Getting the saddle out of the way is pretty handy and has been for a while. Not everyone wants it or needs it but it is not some fad and if it was it is sure a long running fad. I mean they invented it in 1984 and it is 2023 so almost 40 years and Kind Shock (KS) invented the modern one in 1998 so 25 years ago.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-15-23, 02:14 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Do you need a full-sus mountain bike for Midwestern trails?
Sure do. But if you are from flatlander Illinois...Probably not.

a hardtail is a majority of mountain biking today.
LOL. That's not even remotely close to true. There are other places outside of your little bubble you know.

Does disc brakes make for a better road bike? It's certainly debatable,
Not even debatable. Rim brakes are inferior. Take note that if you have a modern car it has disc brakes. Old drum brakes are like having rim brakes.
Old 12-15-23, 02:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Have you spent much time riding a MTB with a dropper post?

IMO, "fad" is the wrong word. "Trend" might be a more accurate description. The evolution of MTBs marches relentlessly onward - maybe faster than any other segment of bikes.

I do find it interesting that many of the best XC racers in the world are using dropper posts. Those folks seem to think there's enough benefit to accept the weight penalty.
Old 12-16-23, 09:05 AM
The Wookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, I haven’t given them a fair trial. It’s good to hear your views and one I will consider in future.
Likes For The Wookie:
Old 12-17-23, 10:42 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

we never should have let women vote either. Stupid fads
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-22-23, 08:11 AM
staehpj1

I am getting a nice non dropper post for Christmas. I am looking forward to taking the droppper off and installing the new post. I guess I am the old dog that can't learn new tricks, but I just am used to riding with the saddle up and found dropping it awkward. I'd try to squeeze the saddle between my knees and it wasn't there. I am used to working around the saddle when descending. At 72 old habits are just too ingrained I guess. Also, while a minor thing the little bit of rotational play in the saddle annoys me. It shouldn't since I mostly notice it when handling the bike and hardly at all when riding. It moves just enough to make a click. I complained about it to the mechanic where I bought the bike and he said it was normal. I questioned that, but he walked me around the showroom and every dropper on the floor had some play. Perhaps spending enough might eliminate it, but I don't really want a dropper bad any way so I am definitely not going to drop the kind of $$$ some of them cost.

None of that is to say that there is anything wrong with dropper posts for those who want/need them, that they are a fad or anything of the sort. They just aren't for everyone in every sutuation. Some of us may opt to take them off or not install them in the first place. They are a great tool and a real advantage for some.

Last edited by staehpj1; 12-22-23 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-22-23, 01:32 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Also, while a minor thing the little bit of rotational play in the saddle annoys me. It shouldn't since I mostly notice it when handling the bike and hardly at all when riding. It moves just enough to make a click. I complained about it to the mechanic where I bought the bike and he said it was normal. I questioned that, but he walked me around the showroom and every dropper on the floor had some play. Perhaps spending enough might eliminate it, but I don't really want a dropper bad any way so I am definitely not going to drop the kind of $$$ some of them cost.
I'm guessing you had a cheaper dropper post. My Bike Yoke revive ($350-$400) has zero play.
Old 12-22-23, 02:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I’ve never found some rotational play to make a damn bit of difference when riding.

Regarding pinching the saddle between your thighs, that’s just bad form in most cases. It prevents the bike from moving around under you which is the whole key to riding smoothly.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-22-23, 04:15 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by prj71
I'm guessing you had a cheaper dropper post. My Bike Yoke revive ($350-$400) has zero play.
Yep a TransX probably about $100-125. Original equipment on a $2500 bike. Same for all the bikes on the floor at the shop. Generally under $3000 bokes so the posts weren't high end, but every one had play.
Old 12-23-23, 07:08 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I’ve seen high end dropper posts with play

most of my hard core off road friends use dropper posts

they appear to be an asset when navigating up and down short / nasty drops and similar … fairly common in our area
Likes For t2p:
Old 01-01-24, 02:50 AM
surfindabass

Bikes: Canfield Tilt | Sage Flow Motion SS | Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Depends on how you ride and the types of trails. I’d forego gears before a dropper which is how my singlespeed is.
Likes For surfindabass:
Old 01-01-24, 09:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Heck I gave up suspension on my fat bike before giving up the dropper.
Old 01-14-24, 07:21 PM
SCbike864

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Situational for me. On my newer bike. I love having it. When I’m riding my 90’s steel bikes I enjoy them how they are

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.