Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wearing Wayfarers While Riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 11:08 AM
dippitydoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just curious, is there any specific reason why people don't have wear wayfarers, or the rectangle lens shape in general, when riding?

I ask because my wayfarers are actually prescription so to go out and buy another pair of sunglasses JUST FOR riding seems like a waste of money.

Is there something Im missing on why people people strictly use the sporty design sunglasses? Is it for aero reasons?
Old 07-16-14, 11:12 AM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear what ya got.

Yes, I spent lots on prescription Oakley RadarLock glasses. Yes, I LOVE them! But I could still ride and enjoy it even without them.
Old 07-16-14, 11:13 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 374 Posts
No reason you can't wear wayfarers, even after the Boys of Summer are Gone.

People wear more sports oriented sunglasses mostly for appearance sake. Also glasses that wraparound your face more offer a bit more protection from wind drying your eyes out.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-16-14, 11:13 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dippitydoo
I was just curious, is there any specific reason why people don't have wear wayfarers, or the rectangle lens shape in general, when riding?

I ask because my wayfarers are actually prescription so to go out and buy another pair of sunglasses JUST FOR riding seems like a waste of money.

Is there something Im missing on why people people strictly use the sporty design sunglasses? Is it for aero reasons?
try riding with those glasses, if they work for you keep wearing them.
Old 07-16-14, 11:16 AM
McFlurrey06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
People wear more sports oriented sunglasses mostly for appearance sake. Also glasses that wraparound your face more offer a bit more protection from wind drying your eyes out.
To expand on this, it greatly helps with my contacts. Keeps them from geting too dry, and making my eyes water.
Old 07-16-14, 11:18 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
I was just curious, is there any specific reason why people don't have wear wayfarers?
I've worn prescription Ray Bans for decades when I go outside on sunny days sometimes when I'm mowing the lawn, driving w/ the roadsters' top down or cycling. Works a treat but transition lenses are good for any brightness or lack thereof.

-Bandera
Old 07-16-14, 11:46 AM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find my riding glasses offer better wind protection. I wear contacts and my eyes dry out with standard sized sunglasses. I use Smith Pivlocs that have a wide surface. There are 3 lens types and it's great changing the lenses based on conditions.
Old 07-16-14, 11:50 AM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Besides wind and bug protection, the wrap-around style also blocks UV light from the side. UV exposure is a major factor in cataract development.
Old 07-16-14, 12:05 PM
dippitydoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I would be able to go sunglass-less but my eyes are getting murdered by the sun when I ride towards it.

I figured riding with polarized ray bans was better than nothing.

I probably will continue riding with them. Just was curious on why I never see anyone with them on.
Old 07-16-14, 12:06 PM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
the athletic type glasses also often have that rubbery material on the nose piece and temples that grip well even when wet and sweaty and prevents the glasses from sliding down. Many "regular" sunglasses don't have this feature which is important to someone who starts sweating when contemplating a ride like I do.
Old 07-16-14, 12:14 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Just was curious on why I never see anyone with them on.
Same reason you don't often see someone w/ jersey & shorts that don't match, Fashion Police in action.
A good quality pair of sunglasses are useful on sunny days.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BernieShades.JPG (38.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-16-14, 12:31 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,532 Times in 2,866 Posts
I used to wear Wayfarers;
Then I moved to CO, and I was constantly getting airborne dust blown into my eyes, and under my contacts;
That was why I switched to wraparounds.
Old 07-16-14, 12:46 PM
fanfugutastic

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo Red, 1987 Miyata 912(RIP for now), 2009 Kona Kula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in between my old pair of sporty sunglasses and a new pair. I wore Smith aviators for a month or so. I got sick of wind being funneled directly into my eye. I prefer a snug fit so I got Oakley Flakjacket XLJs. Your eyes, your preference.
Old 07-16-14, 12:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 374 Posts
No one picked up the Don Henley reference?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-16-14, 01:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I picked it up. But explaining Old Time Rock and Roll to some of these youngsters is indeed, a risky business.
Old 07-16-14, 01:18 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I'm in the market for new prescription sunglasses and have been for a while now. I'd wear Wayfarers on a bike in a heartbeat but they don't look good on my head and I wear prescription sunglasses everywhere, not just on the bike, and Wayfarers just aren't my every-day style. At least Wayfarers have temples that bend down in back to hook behind the ears, though, and that's why I say I'd use them. It seems like the majority of prescription sunglasses these days have straight temples, which seem ridiculous to me.

I sweat profusely from my head. I can't have straight-temple glasses falling off my head due to gravity while I'm looking down to check my gearing as I roll up to a stop light.

I guess the sunglass manufacturers must figure people will drop and break their straight-temple glasses more often and therefore have to buy more. I don't do business that way. I want to buy quality that will last a long time. My current Ray-Bans must be at least five years old now. They're a little bent, the lenses have a couple light scratches, but most importantly the prescription is out of date. However they do hook behind my ears and I've worn them skiing and cycling for years and they've never fallen off.

I should probably try some other optometrists but hate driving around town looking for stuff like this. All the LensCrafters and Wal-Mart and similar eyeglass outlets don't take my vision insurance, so I'm stuck with visiting eye doc's offices, I guess. My eye doc is a good guy and I've been going to him for nine years now and have bought several pairs of glasses from him, but the current offerings of Ray Bans and Oakleys and whatever eles he carries either are too aggressive-looking (I'm not wearing neon yellow glasses with a business suit) or they have those darn straight temples.

Any recommendation for fairly conservatively styled sunglasses that wrap around a little, AND have bent temples, AND...something I haven't mentioned yet...have temples that "bow out" at the sides at bit so they don't press up tight against the sideburn area? AND are sold through doctor's offices instead of being LensCrafters exclusives, etc.

That's "bow" to rhyme with "blow", not "bow" to rhyme with "cow".
Old 07-16-14, 01:18 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Here's my collection, I wear the Wayfarers on the right during commuting, but the sport type glasses on the left for longer rec rides. I'm a bit of a Ray-Ban nut.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0853.jpg (96.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-16-14, 01:35 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I picked it up. But explaining Old Time Rock and Roll to some of these youngsters is indeed, a risky business.
One sees what you did there . . .
Old 07-16-14, 01:43 PM
docdubes

Bikes: Cannondale synapse and Trek 7.2 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too wear my prescription Wayfarers riding. Not going to spent money on yet another pair of glasses. They do the job and Jake and Elwood approved them in 1980, they are back in style in 2014. I have be wearing the seen about 1986 and suffered some jokes over the years but they are a great pair of sunglasses
Old 07-16-14, 02:10 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 381 Posts
Because they are sheep...
Attached Images
Old 07-16-14, 02:31 PM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because they tend to not have good grip and fall off your face in the event of a hard brake?
Old 07-16-14, 02:43 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

It has nothing to do with aero. But having the right glasses is useful. A good quality pair will wrap around to provide protection (also useful when descending at high speeds), have nose grips that won't slip when you're sweaty, and will often be vented so they aren't as susceptible to fogging up in the cold.

The cost is comparable to alternatives, so why get something that doesn't work as well?

Many cyclists who need eye correction use contacts while cycling. I did that for more than 20 years before I got my eyes lasered. WAY better than having regular glasses since peripheral vision gets corrected too.
Old 07-16-14, 03:23 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionIM
because they tend to not have good grip and fall off your face in the event of a hard brake?
Part fashion, and part this ^. I had two crashes last summer where I somersaulted (so I was told) on my Oakleys and Rudy Projects and both stayed on my face.